The Latest - restrictions, visas, entry requirements, etc.

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: The Latest - restrictions, visas, entry requirements, etc.

Post by Gaybutton »

Thailand standardizes entry rules by air and land

By Barry Kenyon

May 1, 2022

From May 1 Thailand has opened a total of 31 land checkpoints at its borders with neighboring countries. This means that entry rules for walk-in tourists and visitors are now in line with arrivals by air. Some immigration checkpoints at the Laos and Malaysian borders have been operating for several weeks, but they have now been joined by those in Chanthaburi and Sa Kaeo provinces which include the immigration checkpoints at Aranyaprathet/Poipet and Pong Nam Ron near the Cambodian border.

Fully vaccinated visitors can now enter Thailand by air or land without any pre or post entry compulsory health test. However, they must register in advance on the Thailand Pass portal to receive their all-important QR code by submitting their vaccination record and proof of Covid insurance worth a minimum of US$10,000 for 30 days. Unvaccinated persons must present additional proof of a very recent RT-PCR test or undergo quarantine for at least 5 days. Those arriving in Thailand by sea require a certificate of entry issued by the port authorities on arrival.

Thai land borders have been closed to tourists for two years, although goods traffic and guest workers from neighboring countries have been allowed through on a discretionary basis. The reopening of land borders means that foreign tourists and expats will be able to visit neighboring countries without purchasing an air ticket. This could make easier obtaining visas abroad or making use of re-entry permits, although it will take several weeks before the immigration entry implications are transparent.

The reopening of frontier posts makes it unlikely that the so-called Covid visa extensions – the 60 days discretion awarded to some foreign tourists unable or unwilling to leave Thailand – will be renewed again once the current issuing deadline of May 24 is reached. With air and land travel both returning slowly to normal, immigration authorities see no need for a further extended loophole for “stranded” foreigners. The Covid extensions were introduced in the spring of 2020 when international travel of any kind became seriously disrupted.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... and-397234

Thailand’s latest entry requirements as of Sunday May 1st, 2022

By Adam Judd

30 April, 2022

The following is a press release from the Tourism Authority of Thailand:

The following rules will be in effect from 1 May 2022, with specific requirements for vaccinated and unvaccinated / not fully vaccinated travelers from all countries/territories with scheduled arrivals from this date.

Pre-arrival requirements

Vaccinated travelers must have the following documents for entering Thailand:

* A valid passport, a Thailand Pass (via https://tp.consular.go.th/), or a Border Pass for arrivals via border checkpoints.
* n An insurance policy with coverage no less than US$10,000. Thais and foreign expatriates under Thailand’s national healthcare coverage are exempt from this requirement.
* A Certificate of COVID-19 Vaccination
* Everyone 18 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with an approved vaccine at least 14 days before traveling to Thailand.
* Travelers 5-17 years of age traveling to Thailand unaccompanied must get vaccinated with at least 1 dose of an approved vaccine at least 14 days before traveling to Thailand. Those traveling with parents are exempt from this requirement.
* Travelers with a history of COVID-19 infection who have received at least 1 dose of an approved vaccine post-infection must have a medical certificate of COVID-19 recovery.

Unvaccinated / not fully vaccinated travelers must have the following documents for entering Thailand:

* A valid passport, a Thailand Pass (via https://tp.consular.go.th/), or a Border Pass for arrivals via border checkpoints.
* An insurance policy with coverage no less than US$10,000. Thais and foreign expatriates under Thailand’s national healthcare coverage are exempt from this requirement.
* A proof of prepayment for 5-night quarantine at government-approved hotel/s; such as SHA Extra Plus (SHA++) hotel, or AQ Accommodation/s, plus proof of prepayment for 1 RT-PCR COVID-19 test. Thais are not required to prepay for the test.

The quarantine is exempt for unvaccinated / not fully vaccinated travelers who are able to upload proof of a negative RT-PCR test within 72 hours of travel via the Thailand Pass system. The exemption also extends to travelers under 6 years of age traveling with parents.

On Arrival Requirements

Upon arriving in Thailand, all travelers must undergo entry screening including body temperature check, and present the required documents to the Immigration/Health Control officer to carry out the checks.

The vaccinated travelers will then be allowed entry and are free to go anywhere in the kingdom. *For arrivals by land using a border pass, they will be allowed a stay of no longer than 3 days within the specified areas only.

Likewise, unvaccinated / not fully vaccinated travelers who have uploaded proof of a negative RT-PCR test within 72 hours of travel via the Thailand Pass system will be allowed entry and are free to go anywhere in the kingdom.

Otherwise, unvaccinated / not fully vaccinated travelers must proceed to undergo the quarantine for 5 days. The trip to the prebooked accommodation must be by a prearranged vehicle on a sealed route within a traveling time of no longer than 5 hours. Then, they must undergo an RT-PCR test on days 4-5. Travelers under 5 years of age, traveling with parents and undergoing the quarantine together, can have a saliva test. Travelers whose test result returns as negative will be allowed to go anywhere in the kingdom, while those whose test result returns as positive will be referred for appropriate medical treatment and the expenses must be covered by the required insurance / own expense for foreign travelers, or national healthcare coverage for Thais and eligible foreign expatriates.

During the Stay

While in Thailand, both vaccinated and unvaccinated / not fully vaccinated travelers are advised to strictly follow the health and safety standards. Travelers who are experiencing COVID-like symptoms should get tested. If testing positive, they must get the appropriate medical treatment.

We wish all visitors an enjoyable, safe, and rewarding holiday in Thailand during this exciting time in which we are able again to welcome travelers from around the world.

The preceding is a press release published with full permission and authorization by the organization(s) listed in the PR material and TPN media. The statements, thoughts, and opinions of the organization involved in the press release are entirely their own and may not necessarily represent those of TPN media and its staff.
Jun

Post by Jun »

What is unclear is if the insurance wording really has been relaxed so there is no requirement to specifically mention cover for covid.

Of course it is not mentioned in the previous post, but that isn't conclusive. TIT. If you just need medical cover, any policy should do.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:10 pm What is unclear is if the insurance wording really has been relaxed so there is no requirement to specifically mention cover for covid.
Barry Kenyon's article above says "they must register in advance on the Thailand Pass portal to receive their all-important QR code by submitting their vaccination record and proof of Covid insurance worth a minimum of US$10,000 for 30 days."

Doesn't that mean the Covid insurance is still a requirement?
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

The Covid insurance requirement was reduced to the equivalent of US$10,000 but is still required. The Pattaya News article: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/22/t ... ing-recap/
The Pattaya Mail article: https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... ers-396350
The TAT release as published in The Pattaya News: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/30/t ... -1st-2022/
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:52 pm
Kenyon's article above says "they must register in advance on the Thailand Pass portal to receive their all-important QR code by submitting their vaccination record and proof of Covid insurance worth a minimum of US$10,000 for 30 days."

Doesn't that mean the Covid insurance is still a requirement?
Maybe.

The previous post has a long piece of text written by Barry Kenyon, which refers to COVID Insurance. However, that's his wording, or it appears to be.

The bullet points later on look more like they are direct from official communication and those just mention insurance, without being preceded by the word COVID.

That's why I queried it. If I were serious about taking an imminent holiday, I would be looking for original government documents.

Before completing the post, I found this.....
Open the link, click on insurance docs and then click on the second question. It says you can use standard insurance. That's the MFA site.
https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/t ... ass-faqs-2
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:48 am It says you can use standard insurance. That's the MFA site.
I checked it and translated the answer. It does say $10000 worth of insurance and does not mention Covid. The Thai government could so easily eliminate confusion by publishing a statement that says Covid insurance is no longer required. The requirement now is a minimum of $10000 worth of standard medical insurance. It goes beyond me why they don't.

However, people need to understand that $10000 is the minimal amount. I would want much more coverage than that. If a person is unfortunate enough that something serious happens while in Thailand, the medical costs can easily soar way beyond $10000.

Also, whether specific Covid insurance is required or not, I would still want to make sure I'm covered for it and the coverage includes a quarantine hotel even if I test positive, but am asymptomatic. That can get very expensive too.

People need to understand - Covid has not gone away. There are still thousands of new cases every day and there are still people dying from it.

This is today's Covid report: 9,721 new Covid cases, 77 more deaths - Bangkok Post

To me, the bottom line is to make sure you have adequate medical insurance coverage, valid in Thailand, and full Covid coverage is included. That is what I would try to do, anyway.

If you can't find that kind of coverage, I suggest trying CIGNA. I think, but am not certain, CIGNA offers a good policy and at a reasonable price.

Also, if anyone is an anti-masker, Thailand is the wrong country to visit. Everyone still wears the face mask and most shops and venues, even 7-Elevens, require the mask for entry. You even have to wear the mask at the beach. And don't try to be cute and pull the mask down below your nose or even below your chin. That will not be accepted and you will be asked to leave - along with getting plenty of icy stares.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I agree totally on the medical coverage issue. £5-10million minimum is often recommend. $10,000 is pitiful.
As long as quarantine is only in hotels, it's unlikely to be any more expensive than holidaying. A lot less fun, but not a financial problem.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Six frequently-asked Thai immigration questions in May 2022

By Barry Kenyon

May 19, 2022

1. What’s the difference between Test and Go and Thailand Pass?
Test and Go were the requirements to have pre arrival and/or post arrival Covid health checks. These were abolished for fully-vaccinated arrivals on May 1 2022. Thailand Pass, which is still in force, is the compulsory on-line pre-arrival registration system which requires uploading of your vaccination proof and evidence of insurance. Go to https://tp.consular.go.th/

2. Do all foreigners need medical insurance to enter?
Under Thailand Pass, they all (except work permit holders) need a minimum cover of US$10,000 to cover hospitalization in case they catch Covid. This requirement also covers foreigners returning with a re-entry permit authorized before they left Thailand. Foreigners applying for some specific visas from Thai embassies abroad need additional insurance cover. These visas needing extra insurance currently are the nine-months Special Tourist Visa (STV) and three visas based on retirement for those aged at least 50: O/X (10 years), O (3 months) and OA (12 months). The details are on Thai embassy websites.

3. Do foreigners need insurance to extend their stay at Thai immigration?
Those with most visas or permission to enter do not require insurance to extend their stay. The exceptions are the STV, the O/X and the O/A: specifics vary at immigration offices. The three months O visa based on retirement, given by embassies, runs out after three months. However, it can be extended at immigration for a further 12 months without any insurance but with specific bank deposit or income stipulations.

4. Are Thai land borders now open as in 2019?
Many land borders, but not all, are now open to foreigners wishing to enter and depart. For example, it is not possible to enter Myanmar this way which requires an airticket and government permission. Moreover, foreigners cannot leave Thailand and return on the same day. This is because they must register online after departure for Thailand Pass with at least 48 hours notice required to receive their all-important QR Code. It isn’t possible to apply for an advance Thailand Pass whilst still in this country. Thus visa runners to Cambodia cannot simply cross the frontier and come back within hours.

5. Will Covid extensions of stay be available after May 24 2022?
That’s a government decision but probably not. These ongoing extensions of stay for 60 days were introduced more than two years ago to assist “stranded” tourists unable to get home because international transport was dislocated by Covid. Neighboring countries have already cancelled their own discretion. For example, the Cambodian immigration authorities already regard anyone without a valid visa to be in an overstay position and subject to fines or worse.

6. Is it true that you can get a 10 year visa for 50,000 baht?
No, it’s based on a misunderstanding. The government did announce that the registration fee for the new 10 year visas had been reduced from 100,000 baht to half that amount,. The details on what assets you need to obtain one of these visas has not yet been published, but will certainly run into several millions of baht. The idea is to encourage wealthy foreigners such as serious investors, highly-paid executives and retirees with well-above average incomes. This is what is meant by “quality” visitors.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... 022-399014
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:05 pm 2. Do all foreigners need medical insurance to enter?
Under Thailand Pass, they all (except work permit holders) need a minimum cover of US$10,000 to cover hospitalization in case they catch Covid.
The commonly used AXA policy doesn't even cover the costs if you have to do hotel quarantine and seems like a rip off, if we consider the overall level of cover.
What I and many other potential visitors really want to know is which policies from my home country would satisfy the Thai Pass wording requirements ?
Practically, it seems all now cover covid hospitalization, but having wording that satisfies the Thai Pass rules is another matter. I had a quick look on the Facebook forums, but didn't spot anything useful. Of course I would spend more time on it if definitely planning a trip soon.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:03 pm I would spend more time on it if definitely planning a trip soon.
Until Thailand decides to do away with these requirements, especially the ones that are not clear and still confusing people, I have a feeling a lot of "un-planning" will be going on. It is no secret about which rules are confusing people, yet it seems to be left mainly to the media to try to clarify them - assuming they too are not confused. I don't see very much clarifying coming from official sources.

Thailand wants to restore its one time lucrative tourism industry, but the way they are going about it just isn't working anywhere near as well as had been hoped. Very confusing rules about how to enter and on top of that there are still all kinds of restrictions once people finally manage to enter Thailand and begin their holiday.

As for what Thailand should be doing to restore tourism while protecting against Covid - I have no idea.