No Waiting For Moderna Vaccine

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

No Waiting For Moderna Vaccine

Post by Undaunted »

Now at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital pay 1600 baht get Moderna on the spot….No waiting!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: No Waiting For Moderna Vaccine

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you Undaunted.

I was in Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital just a couple days ago (for the procedure to check to make sure the cancer did not come back. It didn't. So far all clear and I'm fine). There is a staffed Moderna information booth in the walkway about halfway between the two main buildings. I wasn't looking for Moderna, so I didn't stop to ask any questions, but I'm guessing that's where to go to get the process started.

If anyone has information as to whether any other hospitals are offering the same thing, whether Pattaya or anywhere else in Thailand, please post and let us know.
Jun

Post by Jun »

What size dose are they offering ?

The standard Pfizer Biontech dose contains 30 µg of mRNA
The standard Moderna vaccine contains 100 µg of mRNA (in 0.5ml).

The Moderna booster is usually half a dose, at 50 µg of mRNA. As used in the UK, US etc.

Unsurprisingly, some of the data out there seems to show Moderna is marginally more effective for protection against the vaccine & marginally worse for side effects.
Although, of course the side effects are more of an issue for younger people, so perhaps not a factor for most contributors here. However, I really have my doubts when I hear of Thai lads paying for a full dose of Moderna, when they could get Pfizer for free.

Incidentally, the graph below appears to show the half dose of Moderna (m1273) is a better booster than Pfizer Biontech (BNT) or Astra Zeneca (ChAd). Based on what I believe is some kind of antibody count.

DISCLAIMER: NO EXPERTISE CLAIMED, OTHER THAN BEING ABLE TO READ & COUNT, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE HERE. My amateur interpretation of the information may be correct or not.

[img][url=[img]
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:41 pm My amateur interpretation of the information may be correct or not.
In that case, why not see one's doctor first and following his advice? That is what I would do, especially if Moderna would be a fourth injection.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:51 pmIn that case, why not see one's doctor first and following his advice?
To answer the "why not ?" question:

The UK has a state healthcare monopoly, structured along Soviet lines.
In the morning, to see the doctor, one has to queue up outside and he sees the first 16 people. The rest have to leave. There are afternoon appointments available, but these book up really fast. Like they open the phone lines at 13:00. If you repeatedly press redail, you MIGHT be lucky and get through before the appointments are filled.
So reason #1, getting to see a doctor is difficult.
Reason #2, with a Soviet healthcare structure, you get whichever vaccine you are given. There's no choice and the doctors are not there to advise on this. I would probably be accused of wasting his time. Thankfully, unlike certain communist countries, we will get either Pfizer or Biontech, so a good vaccine.
Reason #3. My doctor qualified many years ago, before covid. I've no idea if he continually reads up on all the covid vaccine data, but he has no professional reason to do so.
Reason #4. I have more motivation to get the best vaccine for myself than he does. Regarding motivation, despite having a 400hp car, he often shows up 15 minutes or more late in the morning, despite having patient appointments. The attitude is seriously poor.

Some leftie Labour voter might counter with a pro-NHS argument. However my local GP practice is diabolical and that's not just my opinion, as they get a review score of 1.8 on google maps, which is well below the norm. If we had competition in healthcare, these useless ***** would be out of business.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:09 pm
Gaybutton wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:51 pmIn that case, why not see one's doctor first and following his advice?
To answer the "why not ?" question
Then we're much better off in Thailand for seeing a doctor. Most of the time you can get an appointment with the doctor of your choice within a day or two. There are plenty of perfectly competent doctors at local health clinics too, and you can just walk in whenever you want and see a doctor almost immediately.

Based on your description of how it works in the UK, all I can say is "good luck". Oh well, there is always Doc Martin . . .
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

I will give you another example of UK doctors surgeries.

Mine is similar to Jun’s except that you have to phone at 08.30 to book an appointment. The lines are only open for an hour. If you cannot get through you have to try again the next day.

If you do get through the doctor will call you back and discuss your problem. You do not get a face to face meeting.

My surgery loses all emails. It took 2 months for an ECG to reach them. I waited a month for the result then started to chase it up. Even volunteered to collect it from the hospital. Not allowed. Eventually they had to post it to the Surgery.

I went in yesterday about another lost email and was told that if I wanted a face to face appointment the earliest they could do it would be the end of May (5 weeks).

Whilst looking at my paperwork they said I should have discontinued one of my tablets last November. (5 months ago). Nobody told me.

I’m on the verge of filing a formal complaint.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

We're getting way off topic here. This topic is about getting the Moderna vaccine at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital. It for sure is not about medical care problems in the UK.

If you want to discuss those kinds of problems fine with me, but please start a new topic - in the "Everything Else" forum since it has nothing to do with Thailand.
Jun

Post by Jun »

We're just carefully & comprehensively answering your question. If you have no further questions, I think we're done with that part.

It's good to know that Moderna is available for a reasonable charge in Pattaya, on a walk in basis.
I would still like to know what size dose they offer, so perhaps anyone who takes up the offer might like to enquire.

Back in November, having travelled to Thailand about 2 weeks before I was eligible for a UK booster, I was delighted to get a free Pfizer jab in Bangkok. If something similar happens next time, it's good to know what the options are.