Pattaya gets unseasonal soaking

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Pattaya gets unseasonal soaking

Post by Gaybutton »

We've all read about how torrential rains often happen in Pattaya - along with the annual promises of flood control, none of which have ever panned out - but that is typical of summertime monsoon season. Right now this is Thailand's dry season. But for the past couple days Pattaya has received sudden storms that might as well be monsoon storms - and along with it comes the usual flooding.

This weather pattern is predicted to last as long as until February 22. But don't worry - Trump assures us there is no climate change . . .

Unseasonal rain to drench Pattaya through weekend

By Pattaya Mail

February 17, 2022

More unseasonal rain will continue to drench Pattaya through the weekend.

The Thai Meteorological Department said a weak high-pressure area from China would cover the Northeast and South China Sea while the prevailing southerly and southeasterly winds would bring moisture from the South China Sea and the Gulf of Thailand to the East, resulting in thundershowers and isolated heavy rain through Feb. 22.

Valentine’s Day saw a short but heavy storm, flooding the usual places in East Pattaya for about a half hour.

Story and photos: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/unseas ... end-389723
gerefan

Re: Pattaya gets unseasonal soaking

Post by gerefan »

February is one of the driest months of the year for Pattaya. The usual monthly rainfall is only 12 mm.

Yesterday we had 28.8 mm in one day.

So far this month there has been 80.6 mm, and it is only the 18 February.

http://www.pattayaweather.net/Pattaya-Month.html

Who is going to be the first to start on about global warming?!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:01 pm So far this month there has been 80.6 mm, and it is only the 18 February.
The rain itself is only part of the problem. The other part is the drainage. Even before I lived in Pattaya and would be in Thailand only for holidays this was a serious problem. Now, so many years later it still is.

Pattaya's powers-that-be always promise they will effectively take care of the drainage problem. I don't know exactly what they do, but the problem remains the same. Part of it is use of incompetent contractors. If we get much of a rainfall streets still flood, cars get stuck and stall, homes and businesses still flood. Even out by the reservoir, when we get a heavy rain those streets flood, including the main road around the reservoir. I would think it would be a relatively simple matter to cause that water to drain off right into the reservoir, but so far that hasn't happened.

Sometimes the opposite problem happens and we get a drought. The last one caused the reservoir to dry out completely. It was a perfect time to dredge out the reservoir so that it would be deep enough to avoid future water shortages during droughts. Of course absolutely nothing was done.

These problems are serious and empty promises aren't going to solve them.
Jun

Post by Jun »

There is another large drainage scheme going on in South Pattaya currently. This has some reasonably sensibly sized pipes, but some design calculations would be needed to verify if these are adequate.

New drainage was installed along beach road in 2019. This appears to drain off into the sea just north of the entrance to Walking Street, through sluice gates. However despite the relatively convenient exit for the water, the road still flooded in 2021. The pipes were of obviously inadequate size.
That's only likely to get worse, as every single public construction project in Pattaya is done to a low and shoddy standard, so it will deteriorate quickly. Compounded by no ongoing maintenance.

Obviously anyone considering settling in Pattaya ought to look very carefully at the topography around their proposed residence.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:09 pm Obviously anyone considering settling in Pattaya ought to look very carefully at the topography around their proposed residence.
Definitely. Along with street flooding, a residence in the wrong area can also be a major problem.

I'm one of the lucky ones. Where I live the main roads flood, but my house is on a hill. I bought this house in 1998. Water has never risen to the point that it gets into the house.

I have a feeling, when he reads this, 2lz2p's story will be a little different from mine . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

What's the status with the drainage works ?

Is there still a big hole in the ground by the baht bus stop by the school in South Pattaya ?
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Jun wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:08 am What's the status with the drainage works ?

Is there still a big hole in the ground by the baht bus stop by the school in South Pattaya ?
YES! As of Wed, 27th April when I went past it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:53 pm YES! As of Wed, 27th April when I went past it.
"Of course, dear. What did you expect?"
- Gladys Cooper (Mrs. Higgins), 'My Fair Lady'