How the Russia-Ukraine conflict affects Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
werner99

Re: How the Russia-Ukraine conflict affects Thailand

Post by werner99 »

GB,
I understand and appreciate your position that this Forum should not get bogged down in discussion/arguments about the war.
Nevertheless, RichLB raises a very important point. The Forum should not repeat Russian propaganda about the war.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:29 am I'm not sure that repeating Russian propaganda and not allowing a rebuttal is the most even handed decision.
Maybe it's not even handed. I posted the article verbatim because it fits in with this topic, but I'm not going to get involved in spending my time nitpicking about what should or should not be included, editing out controversial sentences, or judging what constitutes propaganda. I think everyone on this board has intelligence enough to decide for themselves what is or is not propaganda. The article simply quotes what the man said. The article is not taking sides.

If there is something about that or something in the article anyone wants to debate or dispute, the thing to do is click on the link to the source of the article and do all your rebuttals and debates there, at the source. NOT here.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Wherever fascist propaganda is widespread, or even supported, most reasonable people will consider if they should continue contributing to that forum.
Hence certain websites have already seen numerous people stop contributing as a matter of principle.

Other websites seem to attract toxic arguments.
Nothing good can come of it.

If this thread stays specifically on the topic of how the conflict affects Thailand, the site will be better for it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:23 pm If this thread stays specifically on the topic of how the conflict affects Thailand, the site will be better for it.
That is exactly what I intend to do, and have been doing. I will be deleting any further posts that are not specifically on topic. This board will not take sides and, as I said, people reading this board don't need me or anyone else to tell them something in an article is propaganda - on either side.

Along with that, I don't need anyone to decide for me what is or is not ok to be included in a quoted article.

What would you have me do, start editing out controversial quotes within articles and pretend it was never said in the first place? Or if an article contains a controversial statement, just don't even post the article despite the fact that the article itself is right on topic?

This topic is about how the conflict affects Thailand and I will not let it morph into anything else.

If anyone has a problem with that, send me a PM.

Power bills will rise in May

17 March, 2022

The Energy Regulatory Commission has decided to raise the fuel tariff (FT) included in electricity charges for three months, from May to August.

ERC spokesman Khomkrit Tantrawanich said on Thursday the increase was mainly due to the impact of the Russian war on Ukraine.

The conflict had led to a steep rise in global gas and oil prices. Accordingly, the FT would rise by 0.2338 baht to 1.2991 baht per unit, effective May to August, he said.

This would raise the cost of electricity to four baht per kilowatt hour, he said.

An additional factor behind the increase was the declining supply of natural gas from the Gulf of Thailand, Mr Khomkrit said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ise-in-may
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Ban on freight airlines to Russia-Ukraine begin to impact Thai produce and floral exports

By Pattaya Mail

March 21, 2022

Trade authorities have indicated that international sanctions imposed against Russia over its military operations in Ukraine are beginning to impact Thai produce and floral exports.

Kittinan Yingcharoen, director of the Office of Foreign Trade in Moscow, confirmed that several Russian commercial and freight airlines – including Aeroflot, S7 Airlines and Ural Airlines – have already halted most international flights. Only flights for Belarus remain unaffected.

The director said the move has significantly affected Thai exports of perishable goods, which require the fastest logistics routes possible. One solution would be to ship the goods on Middle Eastern airlines, such as Emirates, Qatar and Etihad. However, these goods would need another connecting flight to reach Russia, which would take more time and increase the risk of spoiling in transit.

Several exporters have already opted to halt exports to Russia altogether, citing higher costs, the instability of ruble, and hurdles to conducting business transactions in Russia due to sanctions.

Data from the office of the permanent secretary for the Ministry of Commerce showed Russia imported US$5.9 million worth of fresh Thai fruit and $2.83 million of frozen vegetables.

Kittinan recommended that exporters weigh the risk factors and reconsider exporting goods to Russia at this time until the conflict is resolved or direct flights between Thailand and Russia can resume.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... rts-393002
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thailand must remain neutral in Russia-Ukraine war to draw tourists and investors, TCC says

By Pattaya Mail

March 26, 2022

The Chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (TCC) said he agreed with the government’s decision to remain neutral in the Ukraine war.

TCC Chairman Sanan Angubolkul made the comment at the “The Big Issue 2022” panel discussion. He said Thailand’s position of neutrality will benefit the Kingdom, as it needs tourists and investors from abroad, including those from Russia and Ukraine.

He also suggested the administration consider expanding the public debt ceiling from 60% to 70%. The matter, although having already received a green light from the Cabinet, is awaiting endorsement from the parliament. Sanan explained that the move will provide Thailand access to more funds for economic rehabilitation and stimulation. He also urged the government to ensure that Thailand will not enter the Stagflation state.

Stagflation is a situation in which the inflation rate is high, the economic growth rate slows, and unemployment remains steadily high. It presents a dilemma for economic policy, since actions intended to lower inflation may exacerbate unemployment.

The TCC Chairman said the Kingdom should move up the declaration of COVID-19 as an endemic from July to sooner and allow more tourists and investors to enter the nation more freely, in order to prevent opportunity loss.

It is inevitable that commodity prices will surge due to the ongoing Black Sea conflict, according to Sanan. He suggested businesses consider stockpiling raw materials to ensure uninterrupted production in the long run.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... ays-393532
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Russian tourism staff claims interest in Thailand travel has spiked for Russians

By Tara Abhasakun

April 10, 2022

More Russians are reportedly interested in venturing down to Thailand! After Russia announced earlier this week it would lift Covid-19 restrictions on flights to 52 countries, starting April 9, some Russian tourism staff claim there was a massive increase in Thailand search inquiries by Russians.

Searches for tickets to Thailand reportedly went up by 20%, according to one popular vacation planning service in Russia called OneTwoTrip. OneTwoTrip reported that Russians’ interest in all countries grew between 5-350%. Elena Shelehova, head of OneTwoTrip, told Russian state news about the jump in travel interest ever since the Russian government announced on April 4 that it would lift restrictions.

“…growth in interest is witnessed for basically all the destinations- from 5% to 350% compared to average daily numbers for the week from March 29 to April 3”.

At the same time, flights are still on hold. Russian airlines are under heavy pressure from Western sanctions. Due to rerouting and oil prices, there are limited connecting flights conducted by foreign operators.

Last month, Russians who had already traveled to Thailand were stranded there. There were over 7,000 Russian and Ukrainian tourists across Thailand, with about about 3,000 Russians alone stranded in Phuket. Following the move by Mastercard and Visa to cut off services to cards issued in Russia, many Russians couldn’t access their financial funds to pay for flights.

Russians made of the biggest group of tourists in Phuket in December, and over 17,000 of them arrived on the Island that month. They were also a major part of tourism since pre-Covid days.

https://thethaiger.com/news/world/russi ... r-russians

See also: https://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-t ... -83766.php
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

As of May 1st the government will stop subsidizing diesel fuel, expected all goods transported by truck to see a price rise.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:03 pm As of May 1st the government will stop subsidizing diesel fuel
Good.

Nothing good can come from subsidizing fuel. All it does is encourage inefficient use of the stuff, leading to more consumption, more pollution and more CO2. Also, if it's subsidized down to 30 baht, people just get more inefficient vehicles, then when the oil price goes up and they can't afford the subsidy, there is more of a shock to the economy. If they gradually ramp up taxes on fuel, it encourages more efficient use and there is less of a shock when the oil price goes up.

Whist they are at it, Thailand ought to promote the use of more efficient vehicles.

In Europe, if people want a van, they buy a van. That's carefully optimized for weight and aerodynamics by some professional engineers at a big manufacturer, like Mercedes, Ford, Iveco etc. In Thailand, they buy a pick up and some back street workshop lashes a body onto it. That's heavier and less aerodynamic. I believe it's due to the idiotic tax policy.

We see the same thing with pick ups being used as buses for local transport and in place of passenger cars. In both cases, using vehicles designed for the purpose would be better for mass & aero, therefore leading to better fuel consumption.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:59 pm Whist they are at it, Thailand ought to promote the use of more efficient vehicles.
We're getting a little off topic here, but Thailand has been actively trying to promote electric vehicles. Of course, I haven't spotted a single one on the roads yet, but Thailand seems to be trying to head in that direction. I have spotted a few scooters, but so far that's all.

Don't worry. We'll probably pollute ourselves into extinction long before electric vehicles become the norm.