Jomtien Complex Raided

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Jomtien Complex Raided

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:11 pm Recent conversations with bar staff and owners usually mention that the policing is all about money. So I suspect that is the main selection criteria.
If that turns out to be the case, I won't be surprised.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Bars open, alcohol served and quite a few customers, which was good to see.
Prices increased. I'm mentioning this NOT as a criticism of the bars, but for completeness, as it's a probable consequence of the policing.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:18 am Bars open, alcohol served and quite a few customers
From what I am hearing, nothing similar in Boystown or Sunee Plaza - at least not yet.

I'll have to let you folks guess for yourselves how the Jomtien Complex bars are able to operate - almost back to normal. And I, for one, am glad they're apparently getting away with it. In my opinion this alcohol ban was absolutely absurd in the first place.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Meanwhile . . .

And how about getting rid of that ridiculous 2:oopm-5:00pm alcohol ban too. What are bar owners supposed to say to "early bird" customers when 2:00pm rolls around - "Sorry gents, we can only serve soft drinks now. If you want any more liquor, see you in three hours."

And this accomplishes what?

Pattaya bar, tourism, and entertainment venue owners hold major meeting with numerous government officials, call for legal reopening

By Goong Nang(GN)

15 December, 2021

Pattaya bar, tourism, and entertainment venue operators are calling for the legal reopening of their venues before the major Pattaya New Year’s festival and Countdown.

A major meeting was held at the Pattaya City Hall yesterday (December 14th) and was led by the Pattaya Business and Tourism Association President Mr. Boonanan Pattanasin, Banglamung District Chief Mr. Wuttisak Singhadaecho, Mrs. Lisa Hamilton (representing the Jomtien Bar and Restaurant owners association), Pattaya and Chonburi law enforcement senior officials including new Pattaya police chief Pol. Col. Kullachart Kullachai, Pattaya Mayor Sonthaya Khunplume, Chonburi health officials, Chonburi provincial officials, and representatives from multiple tourism and business-related associations from nearly every business sector in Pattaya representing over eight different tourism-related organizations.

Mr. Boonanan stated at the meeting, “Under the current rules, SHA+ certified (Safety and Health Administration certification, which requires multiple substantial steps) restaurants are allowed to sell alcohol from 11:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. and from 5:00 P.M. to 11:00 P.M. All customers must be cleared from restaurants before midnight. If any restaurants do not follow these rules they must be ordered to close by law enforcement.”

“We have continued to ask the CCSA (Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration) for the legal reopening of bars and entertainment venues before New Year as there will be many tourists that visit Pattaya. (Closure of bars and entertainment venues is a national level order, notes TPN media, with the CCSA previously stating they will be considered by mid-January nationally) Pattaya has been running massive events every weekend since November 1st and there has been no sign of an increase in Covid-19 cases in the area, despite tens of thousands of domestic tourists visiting every single weekend and many events, like the fireworks festival, being very successful.” Boonanan explained.

“In fact, Covid-19 cases in Chonburi, in general, have dropped and most cases in Pattaya are related to factories, construction, and companies in Rayong whose employees reside in Banglamung. According to the Chonburi Department of Public Health, over 80% of the province has had at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine, and Pattaya specifically is over 85% double-dosed, according to the Mayor (Based on housing registration and permanent residents, notes TPN media). Pattaya and Chonburi have a large number of available hospitals and medical care. As a result, we feel that Pattaya is fully ready to be a legal trial zone for entertainment venues and bars and to set a model for the rest of the country prior to a national reopening. We understand not everyone likes the nighttime economy but for Pattaya, it is what the tourism industry considers a “magnet” attraction that draws many people to the area, even if just to look, but benefits every single other business sector, even those that have nothing to do with alcohol or entertainment, by drawing tourists to the city. It’s very important to get these venues open, safely, and legally. They have been closed for approaching nine months straight with little to no financial aid.” Boonanan continued.

“About the ‘Shaplus’, to get the certificate has many processes and takes time, which business owners that have been shut for eight months plus (Bar closures took effect on April 10th, 2021-editor) don’t have the time to do if they want to be open by New Years. Bars and entertainment venues are not officially on SHA+ and converting to a full restaurant is impossible for many small businesses whose income has been devastated by the Covid-19 situation or who, quite frankly, it isn’t their business model. We need to find a way to help these business owners as soon as possible, which in turn helps every other tourism sector in Pattaya. We want to do this safely and with Covid-19 standards and rules.” Boonanan concluded

Mr. Wuttisak said at the meeting, “We (law enforcement) keep continuing to patrol in the Pattaya area. If any restaurants do not follow the rules we have to take legal action. We have asked law enforcement to mostly give soft warnings for the first offense, but if it happens a second-time legal action can take place. However, most venues have followed the rules and we have been looking to cooperate with business owners and work together as we understand this has been an extremely difficult year for them.”

The meeting concluded, officially, with all parties agreeing to discuss the situation and proposal to legally reopen bars and entertainment with the CCSA this week. TPN media notes that the proposal to allow Pattaya’s famous entertainment industry to reopen, with rules, had agreement from all sides but to be official needs CCSA approval. Unofficially, multiple reports of venues reopening were reported by both readers and reporters last night. It is unknown if any official orders are forthcoming at this time changing the current status and direction of the current closure orders. As for any unofficial agreements, as an editorial policy, TPN media only comments on official news and not rumors, speculation, or unconfirmed agreements. Readers, however, are free to discuss their thoughts in the comments.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/12/15/p ... reopening/
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:02 pm From what I am hearing, nothing similar in Boystown or Sunee Plaza - at least not yet.
Earlier this week, Sunee Plaza had one host bar open, plus the ??? bar on the opposite side of the road.
Boyztown has been entirely closed, with the exception of the massage shop.
However, bars like Panorama and Boyz Boyz Boyz look ready for imminent "outdoor" service.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:12 pm However, bars like Panorama and Boyz Boyz Boyz look ready for imminent "outdoor" service.
I hope when all these bars reopen, at least partially, there will be enough customers to support them so that they can stay open.

Already some venues seem to be trying to start making up losses by raising prices. I spoke to a massage boy today. He said before everything closed down the off fee at the shop where he works was 300 baht. Now they are charging 500 baht.

I have no way of knowing yet whether that will be a trend. I can certainly understand why these venues would want to do that, but I believe what they need to be concentrating on now is attracting customers, not shooting themselves in the foot by overcharging them.

For the venues that are open now, those of you who are going, please let us know what kinds of prices are being charged.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I have no idea about off fees at massage shops. I just show up at the shop and get a massage, on the premises.
At the limited number of male massage shops, it seems to be 300, as it has been for years. Although, the cost per minute has gone up, since a 60 minute massage often lasts for far less than 60 minutes these days.
I need to ask more careful questions, since they sometimes last barely over 40 minutes. Being slightly old fashioned, I think a 60 minute massage ought to last almost 60 minutes.

Quite a few of the female massage shops are now advertising a 1 hour oil massage for 200 or 250, which I think is a price cut. I don't think that was common before COVID ? Although I don't go around looking for such services, if the price in the window was out of line with male massage shops, I would probably have noticed.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you Jun. Please continue to let us know what you discover about prices.
Jun wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:58 pm I need to ask more careful questions, since they sometimes last barely over 40 minutes. Being slightly old fashioned, I think a 60 minute massage ought to last almost 60 minutes.
A 60 minute massage should actually last 60 minutes or at least close to it? Why, how unreasonable of you . . .

I guess a 30 minute massage lasts for 15 or 20 minutes. I hope at least you still get a "happy ending".
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

If I went to a bar and ordered a pint of beer I would expect a full pint.
If I went to a garage and ordered 1 litre of fuel...I’d expect 1 litre.
If I ordered a taxi to take me to the airport...that’s where I would expect to get out.

Why should massage shops be different?!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

This really is a problem of one’s own making, knowing you might be shorted time for a massage why not simply make it clear to the boy doing the massage that you paid for an hour and you expect an hour and your tip will reflect this.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"