Pattaya Immigration

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Pattaya Immigration

Post by RichLB »

Just a heads up to those who have to brave Pattaya Immigration. I had to go this morning and it was chaos. The parking lot was jam packed with people milling about and confused. To the right was a long line in the sun with, maybe, 50 people in it. I asked about 10 people what this line was for. No one knew. To the left was a huge line doubling back and forth with maybe 150 people in it. After standing in that one for about 10 minutes and no one moving I started asking people what this line was for. Again, no one knew. Finally, an Indian fellow several people in front of me told me he went to the front of the building and the attendant told him to stand in this long line, but didn't tell him what it was for. Since the line wasn't moving, I figured I had nothing to lose so I ventured over to the front of the building to ask the confused attendant where I was supposed to go. Without saying a word. he pointed inside the building and gestured that I was supposed to go in. Relieved I went to Area 8 where I was the only person waiting, had my paperwork checked, and got the okay to return tomorrow to pick up my passport with my new visa extension. As I left I noticed the two huge lines and not diminished and had actually grown longer. I still have no idea what they were all waiting for and I suspect none of them know either.
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya Immigration

Post by Gaybutton »

Two huge lines and nobody, apparently even the attendant, having no idea what the lines were for or why the long wait. It's a good thing you went and checked or you would probably still be standing there.

My guess is there were so many people because it was the first day after a long weekend holiday. That's what usually happens.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:52 pm My guess is there were so many people because it was the first day after a long weekend holiday. That's what usually happens.
Rightly or wrongly, I assumed that going in the middle of the week is probably a better idea. Unfortunately it's not one of those places where Google maps gives a live indication of visitor numbers, however for one immigration office in Bangkok, it also indicates afternoons would be better.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Obviously, going to immigration after a 4 day holiday weekend is not the smartest thing to do!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

I have to do my 90 days reporting on Monday, and that's after a three day weekend. I'll turn up at 3 in the afternoon and try to get in the right hand side door. Wish me luck.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

thewayhelooks wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:58 pm I have to do my 90 days reporting on Monday, and that's after a three day weekend. I'll turn up at 3 in the afternoon and try to get in the right hand side door. Wish me luck.
You don’t have to wait till the due date also you now can report online…..Mondays are a nightmare.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:01 pm You don’t have to wait till the due date also you now can report online
Yes, but unless the rules have changed, online it still has to be submitted within no more than 15 and no less than 7 days of the due date. Mine, by the way, is still sitting on "pending".

Afternoons usually are much less crowded than mornings at immigration no matter what day it is. For me, the least amount of waiting time is usually right at reopening time after they close for lunch - 1:00pm.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I always do my 90 reporting the Thursday afternoon before the due date, I don’t mind doing it at the office in Jomtien and try to go at 2:30, I seldom wait more than 10 minutes.
Ruthrieston

Post by Ruthrieston »

I have taken to going to Immigration at 3.30pm when there were no queues, also avoiding Mondays and Fridays.