Pattaya Reopening? Here is Adam Judd's fact check

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya Reopening? Here is Adam Judd's fact check

Post by Gaybutton »

We've been having a debate on this topic about proof of vaccination becoming a requirement to dine-in at restaurants. Now that I think about it, those posts are much more appropriate for the "Huh? What? Proof of vaccination to dine in to be reinstated?" topic.

I have moved those posts to that topic, where anyone who wants to join in on our debate is welcome to do so.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here is the latest.

The problem is even if Pattaya is opening to fully vaccinated foreign tourists, there still is not much to attract tourists. Everything is still closed and Pattaya is still under curfew. Add to that the new restrictions coming in October that will make it much more difficult to dine-in at restaurants.

If you hold a proof of vaccination card from your home country, I hope the restaurant staff worker who checks it can read and understand your language . . .

Pattaya open to fully vaccinated foreign tourists in October

By Pattaya Mail

September 10, 2021

The Thai government has reiterated health and safety measures as it prepares for the second phase of its tourism reigniting plan and many look forward to the annual high season.

Proceeding along its path to again welcome foreign travelers after having notable success with its Sandbox programs over the past two months, producing 1.634 billion baht in revenue, the government is poised to continue the effort to support economic recovery.

In October, the administration is to implement its Universal Prevention measures while entering the second phase of its reopening timeline, which will see Bangkok, Chonburi (Pattaya), Petchaburi, Prachuapkirikan and Chiang Mai will be allowed to receive foreign guests once again, on the condition they meet vaccination targets. The Bangkok Sandbox and Hua Hin Recharge campaigns have already been outlined in anticipation of the transition.

Phase three of the plan is to begin in the middle of October and see 21 more provinces reopen under strict COVID-19 prevention measures. The fourth phase begins in January of next year and will focus on 13 border provinces and the use of travel bubbles.

One province slated to reopen on October 1st is Chonburi with its Pattaya Moves On program covering Pattaya, Banglamung and Sattahip. Various committees have been established in anticipation of the date, and they will oversee matters such as meeting a 70 percent vaccination target in the local population.

Visitors to Chonburi will have to be fully vaccinated or have RT-PCR test results from their country of origin and a health certificate. They will have to submit to another RT-PCR test upon arrival in Chonburi and undergo a total of three checks during their stay, the second being during the first six to seven days of their stay and the third on the fourteenth day.

Travelers must book and stay at an SHA+ certified hotel and will only be able to travel over sealed or flexible sealed routes, notifying their hotel of their plans beforehand. While visitor numbers are not expected to be high, they are anticipated to be high capacity visitors.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ber-371282
Jun

Post by Jun »

Where is their first photo taken ? I don't recognize the building at the far end of the beach.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:18 pm Where is their first photo taken ?
Are you surprised? An article about Pattaya and they used not one, but all three photos somewhere other than Pattaya. I have no idea where, but last time I checked there are no mountains or bluff hills at any beach in Pattaya.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

If Pattaya reopens under these restrictions and circumstances, to me it would be like Disneyland being open, but all the rides are closed.

Based on what I am reading here, I can't imagine much demand for it, especially among farang singles. If this is attractive enough for you to start making bookings for hotels and flights, or if you are so die-hard determined to make it to Pattaya no matter what, then I am happy for you. For me, if I were looking for holiday travel, this would be a thanks, but no thanks.

What, pray tell, is even on offer for repeat visitors who have been to Pattaya before, some many times? Thanks, but I've seen Big Buddha Hill and Nong Nooch Gardens - and I wasn't all that thrilled the first time. Hey, is that bottle art or teddy bear museum still there?

Very sorry, but none of this is why I travel halfway around the world on long haul, expensive flights for a holiday in Pattaya.

In my opinion, if you're going to open, then open! Either that or remain closed until your reopening is for real. But don't give me some sort of half-assed reopening with all kinds of restrictions and supervision as if it is a field trip for a kindergarten. A holiday maker can't even get a drink. Maybe a Shirley Temple in the hotel, but that's about it.

And while you're under these restrictions for at least two weeks, I can hardly wait to see what happens when you use one of the apps and try to be able to get a boy to your room.

I'm sorry, but who comes up with these kinds of plans? I just hope these reopening plans don't backfire and end up doing more harm than good.

CCSA will decide Friday whether Pattaya can reopen Oct 1

By Bangkok Herald

September 13, 2021

The Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration is expected to hear, debate and vote on the Pattaya Move On “reopening” plan Sept. 17. Tourism and Sports Minister Pipat Ratchakitprakarn met for more than an hour with Pattaya Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome, Gov. Pakarathorn Thienchai and district officials from Sattahip and Banglamung on Sunday at Pattaya City Hall to fine-tune the proposal that is so crucial to a city that is almost entirely dependent on tourism.

Approval from both the CCSA and Cabinet are needed before Pattaya can begin to “move on”.

The Move On plans falls far short of what Pattaya lovers overseas and expats currently abroad were expecting and hoping for. Unlike the Phuket “sandbox”, Pattaya visitors, despite being fully vaccinated, will be confined to their pricey Safety and Health Administration-certified hotels for three days and only allowed to venture out to the immediate area – with a government-supplied tour guide – for the first seven.

The “sealed route” travel will continue for a second week, with tourists only allowed to visit predetermined, “family-friendly” sites, such as Big Buddha Hill and Nong Nooch Tropical Garden, again with a government chaperone and only when Thai tourists aren’t there.

Ironically, “sandbox” tourists for the past two months have showed a coronavirus-test positivity rate of 0.3 percent, versus the Pattaya public, which has tested at 3.7 percent for the past six weeks.

One new wrinkle in the Move On plan emerged Sunday with the thought that Pattaya could be added to the Phuket “7+7” extension, which currently allows sandbox tourists to visit seven other islands in Surat Thani, Phangnga and Krabi provinces.

It’s possible, if their plans are approved, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Phetchaburi could also become “7+7” destinations, which can be accessed after the first week of sandbox quarantine.

Acknowledging the massive criticism already leveled at the Move On proposal, Pipat said the plan is a “step” toward and not a “full” reopening of Pattaya. He reiterated the justification that, because Chonburi is not an island, extra precautions must be taken to prevent tourists from leaving the area or interacting with the local population.

Why either is necessary – given that 0.3 percent of vaccinated tourists have been tested positive and that 70 percent of Pattaya residents would be vaccinated as well – was left unexplained.

It’s also probable that Pattaya will “reopen” with bars closed, nightlife halted and no alcohol being served in restaurants. That has been the situation in the Phuket sandbox and, with Chonburi still classified a “dark red” coronavirus maximum and strict control zone, likely will be the case come Oct. 1.

However, Chonburi on Monday reported a huge drop in daily cases – only 650 with one death – its lowest daily tally in two months. Of those 650 cases, however, 133 were located in Banglamung District, which includes Pattaya.

Again showing how over-the-top conservative Thai officials are being, Pipat said true, quarantine-free tourism likely won’t return until January or possible as late as Songkran 2022.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... t-1-371746
Jun

Post by Jun »

Bangkok Herald wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:06 pm Unlike the Phuket “sandbox”, Pattaya visitors, despite being fully vaccinated, will be confined to their pricey Safety and Health Administration-certified hotels for three days and only allowed to venture out to the immediate area – with a government-supplied tour guide – for the first seven.

The “sealed route” travel will continue for a second week, with tourists only allowed to visit predetermined, “family-friendly” sites, such as Big Buddha Hill and Nong Nooch Tropical Garden, again with a government chaperone and only when Thai tourists aren’t there.

It’s also probable that Pattaya will “reopen” with bars closed, nightlife halted and no alcohol being served in restaurants. That has been the situation in the Phuket sandbox and, with Chonburi still classified a “dark red” coronavirus maximum and strict control zone, likely will be the case come Oct. 1.
This is not an attractive option. Told what to do for 2 weeks, then nothing open afterwards ?

Bangkok Herald wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:06 pm because Chonburi is not an island, extra precautions must be taken to prevent tourists from leaving the area or interacting with the local population.
These precautions are likely to be so effective that they prevent most tourists from arriving, never mind interacting.

I hope this half baked plan opens on time on October the 1st. Then they can have a couple of months of watching no one arrive before coming to their senses and relaxing restrictions.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:49 pm Told what to do for 2 weeks, then nothing open afterwards ?
And with a government chaperone. Isn't that way tourism is done in North Korea?

Somebody has to be the person who first thought this up, let alone proposed it and somehow managed to get it approved. I wonder what other brilliant ideas he (or she) has had throughout his career.

I'm sure all the SHA certified hotels now can look forward to being fully booked. Better make your bookings right away, folks, before all the hotels run out of rooms when such a fun filled dream-come-true holiday is waiting . . .
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:29 pm Somebody has to be the person who first thought this up, let alone proposed it and somehow managed to get it approved.
The way I read it is that nothing has been “approved”. It is to be discussed next Friday.

I guess it’s the “Thai Way”. Suggest something ridiculous and then fine tune it to something more sensible.

We have seen this numerous times throughout the panicdemic in Thailand.

Remember New Years Eve when they suddenly suggested closing all restaurants a few days before, after restaurants had already stocked up? That soon had to be reversed.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:35 am I guess it’s the “Thai Way”. Suggest something ridiculous and then fine tune it to something more sensible.
I hope you're right, but I'm not holding my breath. I wouldn't be surprised if instead they come up with something even more ridiculous.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:44 am I wouldn't be surprised if instead they come up with something even more ridiculous.
Covid is already endemic in Thailand.
If the inbound tourist passes one covid test at home and another one shortly after arriving, the tourist is already at lower risk of carrying covid than the average Thai. Therefore any form of restriction is ridiculous. Operating Pattaya as some kind of open prison is even more so.