Thai driving license - the latest - good news and nightmare news

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Thai driving license - the latest - good news and nightmare news

Post by Gaybutton »

puan wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:39 pm Yes.....was able ..............
That is going to save you a great deal of hassle.

Don't forget you will need the medical certificate.

I suggest on the day you go to get the license, get to the land transport office no later than 7:00am - and I mean no later. They don't open the doors until 8:00am, but believe me, you'll know why I'm saying that, and you'll probably know by 7:10am.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

In Pattaya do you need to renew or obtain a driving license? Sorry - until further notice you ain't gettin' one.

My guess is, same as last time, if your current license is about to expire, it remains valid until the Land Transport Office reopens.

Department of Land Transport suspends most in-person services in Chonburi, other maximum control provinces

By Adam Judd

20 July 2021

The Department of Land Transport, or DLT, has announced they have suspended most in-person services in the thirteen maximum control provinces, including Chonburi, home of Pattaya, to help prevent the spread of Covid-19. This also includes the Bangkok area and most surrounding provinces.

Specific services suspended, amongst others, are driver’s license renewals, issuing, registration, in-person tests, and more.

Training for renewing driver’s licenses will be online only, according to the DLT.

Tax payments for vehicles will be online or drive-through online, the DLT added.

The notice is effective immediately, July 20th, 2021, until further notice.

Non-maximum control zones will operate according to provincial governor orders, the DLT concluded.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/20/d ... provinces/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Of course they extended it. What else would they expect people to do, stop driving?

I was lucky. I got my renewal just in time. I have a feeling what I went through was nothing compared to the chaos that will likely be at the Land Transport offices in January - if indeed they do reopen in January. I just hope they will have reopened 5 years from now - when my current license expires. And I wouldn't bet the farm on it . . .

All I can suggest is if you need a driving license or renewal, once they reopen get there early - and I mean early - to stand any chance of getting in.

And don't forget to download the video and print out the page that shows you passed. Also, don't forget the medical certificate and residence certificate.

Thailand extends relaxation for drivers to use expired licenses until December 31

By Pattaya Mail

August 23, 2021

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has coordinated with the Royal Thai Police (RTP) to extend the expiry date of driving licenses and allow them to be used until December 31, 2021.

Mr. Chirut Wisanchit, DLT Director-General, has announced the suspension of services supplying driving licenses at Land Transport offices nationwide until there is an announcement on the cancellation of the emergency situation or other such development. During the service suspension period, the DLT is coordinating with the RTP to extend the expiry date of driving licenses and personal vehicle licenses and allow them to be used when necessary to present to the authorities, until September 30, 2021. As the COVID-19 situation has escalated, the DLT is coordinating with the RTP to ease the enforcement of the law. The RTP is extending the period of leniency in enforcing any rules, regulations, ordinances and orders affecting holders of expired driving licenses under the law on cars and holders of expired personal driving licenses, allowing them to be used until December 31, 2021.

The Director General of the DLT added that people who have documents supporting applications to obtain or renew their driving licenses such as a medical certificate, training and testing certificates, a request that has not been completed within 90 days or the result of the e-Learning training that has expired since April 16, 2021, when the service suspension started, can use them as supporting documents until December 31, 2021, meaning that people can use the documents when needed.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... -31-368831
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm a bit confused by the article because it is specific to license renewals. It doesn't say anything about first time licenses.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Driver’s license renewals officially allowed at Thai Transport offices nationwide with pre-booking, starting in September

By Nop Meechukhun
3 September, 2021

Thailand’s Department of Land Transport now has opened the renewal of driver’s licenses without in-office training but must require advance booking online, starting in September.

The booking must be done via the DLT Smart Queue application or https://gecc.dlt.go.th to limit the number of people who receive services per day and to reduce the risk of spreading the Covid-19 infection.

For those who have already reserved a queue during the closure from April 16th, they can reschedule the booking period at the website and/or mobile application.

Provincial transport offices nationwide must comply with the provincial communicable disease committee’s specific measures as appropriate. They must also conduct the “DMHTTA” measures (D – Distancing, M – Mask-wearing, H – Hand washing, T – Testing (temperature check), T – Thai Chana application use) throughout the operation.

Those who wish to renew their driving license and vehicle license can attend an online training via e-Learning at www.dlt-elearning.com instead of attending the training in the office.

Other registrations and services, such as vehicle registration and tax services, can proceed at the Transport Office as usual. Some registration proceedings that are stipulated by the law for a period of time, such as vehicle transferring, or notifying the cessation of using a vehicle, can be postponed until December 31st without fees.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/09/03/d ... september/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The booking must be done via the DLT Smart Queue application or https://gecc.dlt.go.th to limit the number of people who receive services per day and to reduce the risk of spreading the Covid-19 infection.
I'm sorry. I should have checked earlier. Why am I not surprised to see that both the DLT Smart Queue app and the web site are both entirely in Thai? No English version that I can find.

You're probably going to need a Thai friend to help you fill out the forms. While he's doing that, you can watch that fabulous required video - which is also entirely in Thai.

I guess the DLT Smart Queue app just isn't smart enough . . .

Maybe this is a good time to check into that Mots Services I mentioned in an earlier post. https://www.mots-services.com/
puan

Post by puan »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:57 am Maybe this is a good time to check into that Mots Services I mentioned in an earlier post. https://www.mots-services.com/
I followed GB's advice and used Mot's Service. Excellent advice!! :D

Just used Mots and the process was almost painless. Well, worth the 3,000 baht fee. In 5 years I will be again going to Mots Service.

Highly recommend.