Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital Vaccination Announcement

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital Vaccination Announcement

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:55 am The estimate for herd immunity
That's the part that bothers me. There is certainly a difference between estimating and knowing, even for Yale. I hope herd immunity will happen, but the fact is the world has never had to deal with anything like this before, given the global population and numbers of people that travel internationally.

That is why I am so adamant about refusing to accept the idea of herd immunity at 70% or any other percent. I don't see how anyone, including experts in the field, can do much more than guess. Of course I understand they're doing far more than just randomly deciding on a number, but that is not enough for me. I just hope they're guessing right.

Until it actually happens, I also don't see how anyone, including bkkguy, will succeed in convincing me otherwise. Then again, I don't know why anyone gives a damn about what I do or don't believe. I think the challenge really is not convincing me. I think the challenge is trying to overcome my stubbornness . . .
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I just did a Google search for "Herd Immunity" and was dismayed to see most of the reported sites suggest that herd immunity is, at best, a myth. Sigh!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:59 am herd immunity is, at best, a myth.
Now it's time for bkkguy to tell us all about how those sites are not reliable.

To me it is totally unimportant whether those sites are reliable or not. For me, the only reliable information about herd immunity will be when we see whether it actually works. I have zero interest in what "reliable sources" predict. I am only interested in what really does happen.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:41 am Since obviously you have already made that effort and you know more than everybody else, enlighten me. And while you are enlightening me, don't forget to tell me who those reliable sources are and what makes them reliable. Go ahead, I can hardly wait.
unfortunately another thing you will keep waiting for - you have repeatedly said you trust nothing, don't trust data, don't trust what is being published and you are not interested in what sites (reliable or otherwise) have to say, and I have seen how you dismiss or ignore useful information posted here by others, and despite how obviously polite and sincere this request is, I will decline
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:00 amI think the challenge really is not convincing me. I think the challenge is trying to overcome my stubbornness . . .
you have an iron fist - try bashing yourself in the head with it :twisted:
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:41 pm despite how obviously polite and sincere this request is, I will decline
Of course you will decline. I knew you would. I knew it before you knew it.
Jun

Post by Jun »

AFAIK, herd immunity would arise from reduced TRANSMISSION of covid.
If R were, say 5, I believe it would need a reduction of transmission of over 80%. Which would be challenging.

Now, for obvious reasons, it's almost impossible to measure the effect on transmission during the original vaccine trials. All they do is vaccinate and compare the infection rates in placebo and non-placebo groups. There is no measure of onward infection rates onto other people. If I understand correctly, whilst AZN had regular PCR testing of people, some of the other vaccine trials only measured people with symptoms. So not all of the trials even measured asymptomatic infection, never mind onward transmission.

I think that's one reason why there is no clear data ?
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:00 am
Until it actually happens, I also don't see how anyone, including bkkguy, will succeed in convincing me otherwise. Then again, I don't know why anyone gives a damn about what I do or don't believe. I think the challenge really is not convincing me. I think the challenge is trying to overcome my stubbornness . . .
Measles, mumps, polio, and chickenpox and smallpox are examples of herd immunity with vaccines.
But no sense in furthering the discussion.
travelerjim1

Post by travelerjim1 »

Pfizer available in Pattaya

1) "any foreigner who is in the Pattaya area or willing to get there, Bangkok Hospital Pattaya will be vaccinating foreigners age 40 and above (or with the "7 conditions", or who are 12+ weeks pregnant, and with no prior Covid vaccinations) with the Pfizer vaccine. The vaccination is free, and you must register in advance, but the Pfizer vaccines will only be available from Tuesday, August 24 through Friday, August 27.

Use this link to register: link or you can email Tanya ([email protected]) at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya with your name, passport number, phone number, and date of birth."
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

travelerjim1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:10 am Use this link to register
Thank you very much. You included an Email, but not the link.