Covid vaccine

Anything and everything about Thailand
bkkguy

Re: Covid vaccine

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:25 pm(Why am I expecting bkkguy to remind me that I, in fact, actually asked more than 'a' question . . . ?)
I don't know, why are you expecting that? :D

I have said a couple of times take whatever vaccine you can get now to get some protection now because you will probably need a booster next year anyway, and I am still comfortable with the gut feeling, but if you are looking for more than just a gut feeling, this is a very complex issue and Jun has given many good points to consider when trying to answer your question(s) seriously - I think the best option at this stage is for you to ask your question(s) again in six months time when there should be a lot more evidence, and hopefully more clarity, about who will need a booster shot based on the vaccine they originally received and how well its protection is holding up against currently known and new variants
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Jun

Post by Jun »

With all the evidence, from many countries, surely everyone here will agree that the vaccines ARE a substantial benefit ?

The only area where they might fall short is if your expectation happens to be 100% efficacy. In which case, expectations probably need to be adjusted. We also know flu jabs are far from 100% effective, but we often take those, just to improve our odds.

I'll take a 92~96% reduction in hospitalization now. If something better is available next year, I'll probably take that as well, when available.
Jun

Post by Jun »

A suggestion that there MIGHT be more longer protection from the Astra Zeneca vaccine, due to T-cells.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... giant.html

(Apologies for the trashy source -someone provided a link and the CEO seems to have been speaking only to the Mail)
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The short video linked below really does a great job explaining "Vaccines" and what we should know about all the numbers we keep seeing.

At least I found it helpful:

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I arrived at MedPark Hospital in Bangkok for my appointment for the vaccine at 10:30 AM this morning. I was told when first registering that the vaccine would be AstraZenica.

When I first arrived at the hospital I stood in a fairly long line at the hospital doors marked "Covid Vaccine". Before I even got to the front of the line a Thai girl with a hospital insignia on her collar approached me and asked to see my passport. After looking at my passport she directed me to enter the hospital through a different set of doors than the line of people were heading towards. Very strange...I thought there was going to be a problem.

I received the Pfizer vaccine and given an appointment to return in 3 weeks for the second jab.

Thank you U.S.A.

Go Biden!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:08 pm I received the Pfizer vaccine and given an appointment to return in 3 weeks for the second jab.
Very good. I hope when you get your second jab, that one will also be Pfizer.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:30 pm
Dodger wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:08 pm I received the Pfizer vaccine and given an appointment to return in 3 weeks for the second jab.
Very good. I hope when you get your second jab, that one will also be Pfizer.
I hope so too.

The Appointment Card they gave me for the second jab states "Pfizer"...so fingers are crossed.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I just realized - you get your second jab in 3 weeks. For me, the second AstraZeneca jab is a 2 month wait.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:02 am I just realized - you get your second jab in 3 weeks. For me, the second AstraZeneca jab is a 2 month wait.
Apparently, for the Astra Zeneca vaccine, the original time period was 12 weeks.
From Australia:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021 ... /100259926
The federal government's expert vaccine advisory panel currently recommends that the Pfizer vaccine is given three weeks apart, while people who've had their AstraZeneca jab are advised to wait 12 weeks before getting their second dose.

Research has shown that a 12-week interval between AstraZeneca vaccine doses offers optimal protection
Currently, it appears that some countries are reducing the time period whereas another article I read notes that waiting longer than 12 weeks may strengthen your protection.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021 ... /100259926
The federal government's expert vaccine advisory panel currently recommends that the Pfizer vaccine is given three weeks apart, while people who've had their AstraZeneca jab are advised to wait 12 weeks before getting their second dose.

But in some countries, including the UK, health authorities are shortening the interval between AstraZeneca vaccines in a bid to accelerate their vaccination programs.
Here is an article that says a study shows an even longer wait strengthens the Astra Zeneca vaccine -

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... e-response
The World Health Organization (WHO)Trusted Source recommends a gap of 8–12 weeks between the first and second doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, one of the most widely distributed vaccines, globally.

But a new study from the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom has provided reassurance that a second dose of the vaccine remains highly effective even after a gap of up to 45 weeks.

In fact, the immune response of volunteers after an extended delay was superior to the response after the recommended interval.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:02 am I just realized - you get your second jab in 3 weeks. For me, the second AstraZeneca jab is a 2 month wait.
And for me, Astrazenica at Bang Sue, 3 months.