Covid vaccine

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Registering for Covid vaccine at hospitals

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm glad to see this article, but wouldn't you think there would at least be a clue as to how and where to register and pay - and which hospitals will be participating? Oh well, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Moderna is the vaccine I want. According to the article, it won't be available until October, but that's nothing new. I'm willing to wait.

Thai private hospitals set two-dose Moderna vaccine package at 3,400 baht

By Pattaya Mail

June 29, 2021

The US-made Moderna COVID-19 two-dose vaccine package will be priced at 3,400 Baht, or 1,700 Baht a shot, with payments for bookings made to be collected from July 1st, according to Thailand’s Private Hospital Association (PHA).

The common price, agreed for all private hospitals, is inclusive of service and insurance, while the advance bookings will let the PHA know the amount of vaccine needed, so a purchase order can be placed with the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO), said PHA President Dr. Chalerm Harnphanich, adding that the hospitals are required to pay the GPO by the end of July.

With deliveries of the vaccine expected to begin in October, Moderna is the fourth vaccine to be approved by Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (TFDA). Two more followed in approval for emergency use in the country – Sinopharm and Pfizer, making the total six.

Moderna is to become the second paid alternative vaccine, after Sinopharm. Thailand is currently administering AstraZeneca, Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... aht-361602
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:50 pm Moderna is the vaccine I want. According to the article, it won't be available until October, but that's nothing new. I'm willing to wait.
One option would be to register for the Moderna, then if the opportunity of another reputable vaccine arrives significantly earlier, take that as well.

There are already vaccine mixing trials showing good results in the UK and I believe, Spain. Some European countries are mixing doses on their population. Including Angela Merkel.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:03 pm There are already vaccine mixing trials showing good results in the UK and I believe, Spain.
I don't know if it is a good idea to mix just any Covid vaccine with Moderna. I would want to know which vaccines are compatible with Moderna and how long to wait if you get one vaccine until getting another or if it is good to get both at the same time. Even if I opt for a different vaccine instead of moderna, I would still want to know which vaccines are compatible with each other and just what is meant by "good results." Maybe it will turn out to be a effective to just mix all of the available vaccines. However, if anyone is going to be a guinea pig for vaccine mixing, it won't be me.

In any case, I won't be mixing any vaccines unless my doctor recommends it. I'm not about to have media articles or, no offense intended or anything personal, what somebody posts on a message board make that kind of decision for me and I'm not going to experiment.

I think sooner or later there will be a vaccine that will virtually guarantee immunity from any strains of Covid. Despite rare cases appearing once in a blue moon, that seems to have worked well when they came up with vaccines against polio, smallpox, etc.

"At my age, from now on if I take excellent care of myself, I'll get very sick and die"
- Rodney Dangerfield
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

There was an informative article on vaccine mixing posted on the BBC website today:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57636356

The evidence seems to be supportive of the idea.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ceejay wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:08 pm There was an informative article on vaccine mixing posted on the BBC website today
In Pattaya there are still no vaccines to mix.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Those wanting the Moderna vaccine may have to wait much longer before it is available. Moderna has announced that new orders won't be available until some time next year because they first have to fill existing orders.

Details are on the Wednesday, July 30 "Headline News" video beginning at 2 minutes, 30 seconds into the video.

https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic ... 23#p104523
Jun

Post by Jun »

ceejay wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:08 pm There was an informative article on vaccine mixing posted on the BBC website today:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57636356

The evidence seems to be supportive of the idea.
1 The BBC also has a link through to a paper on the topic, explaining trial results.
2 Several European countries are already mixing vaccines.
3 High profile people having mixed vaccines include Angela Merkel.

I'd respect the opinion of Angela Merkel's doctor & numerous German policy advisors ahead of my own doctors.
I've had 2 doses of the Astra Zeneca vaccine and am happy with that for now.

However, if it seems likely there is a significant benefit from taking something else as well in 2022, I would take it. Whether provided by the government or privately doesn't matter.
Mixing vaccines seems standard for flu etc. They don't ask what you had 12 months ago.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:51 pm mixed vaccines include Angela Merkel.
Which vaccines did she get?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:24 pm Which vaccines did she get?
One dose of Astra Zeneca, then one dose of Moderna.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:03 pm I think sooner or later there will be a vaccine that will virtually guarantee immunity from any strains of Covid. Despite rare cases appearing once in a blue moon, that seems to have worked well when they came up with vaccines against polio, smallpox, etc.
and this is what you will keep waiting for? you are much more optimistic than I am - we still have no long term 100% effective vaccines against so many other diseases - the common cold (covid or rhinovirus), influenza, HIV, etc - perhaps not all diseases are as easy to vaccinate against as others?

even with smallpox, according to the US CDC:
Historically, the vaccine has been effective in preventing smallpox infection in 95% of those vaccinated.
is this what you mean by "virtually guarantee immunity" ? or even with smallpox we didn't need 100% effectiveness to eradicate but we do with COVID??

and by "any strains of Covid" do you must mean just any current or infinitely possible future variants of SARS-COVID2 or also SARS-COVID, MERS-COVID and the myriad of COVID viruses causing the common cold in humans and various other afflictions in animals that could jump the species barrier to humans? one of the oft-quoted reasons for the success of the smallpox eradication was "no animal reservoir" but with COVID ...

life is not necessarily as easy as you might hope
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!