Covid vaccine

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Registering for Covid vaccine at hospitals

Post by Gaybutton »

ceejay wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:18 am My understanding is that Moderna is only going to be available through private hospitals and will have to be paid for.
I don't think that answers the question. There has been plenty of publicity that Moderna will be available at private hospitals and the price, but the question is how do we arrange for it? I don't know. Do we need to register on the Thailandintervac site? If yes, do we register now or do we wait, and wait how long? Do we arrange it directly with the hospital? If yes, how and when?

The question is how and when do we arrange for Moderna? The only answer I have so far is I have no idea.

At the moment, my own preference is Moderna, but most likely I am going to take what I can get as soon as I can get it, whether free or paid.

The publicity is giving us all the information except for the information we really need. And to top it off I am still guessing that sooner or later immigration is going to require vaccination for the retirement visa.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

OK, I understand your problem. Based on communications I have had from hospitals in Chiang Mai, my understanding is that Moderna will be the "private only" option and completely out with the government system so you cannot register to receive it on Thailandintervac.com

Bookings will be made by individual hospitals according to their own policies. They probably will not do this until they are certain of supply.

I have found a good way of keeping myself informed is to add the hospital's official Line account. If you have Line, follow this link for Bangkok Hospital Pattaya:
https://page.line.me/ity3287c
Press "chat" - it should open the Line account in you Line app
Press "add" on this page
You should now be registered with their official account.
(Or go in there. Most hospitals have their QR code on public display. If not, ask at reception)
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:02 am At the moment, my own preference is Moderna, but most likely I am going to take what I can get as soon as I can get it, whether free or paid.
I think you're about right there, although if one of the Chinese vaccines was offered, maybe look for independent trial data first -ie independent as in from a country with free media.

PeterRS reports getting a real vaccine appointment date on Gay Thailand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:04 pm maybe look for independent trial data first -ie independent as in from a country with free media.
There have been so few negative reports that I don't see enough of a risk to avoid them. What I am much more interested in is whether they are truly effective in preventing Covid.

However, it looks like there won't be much choice in Thailand other than waiting for Moderna to be available. And who knows when that will be?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

If you think you've been confused up until now, how about this? According to the June 10 "Headline News" (see: https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic ... 55#p104355 ) now we're being told not to register for the vaccine on the Thailandintervac site until "issues can be resolved".

Of course, nothing about what issues they're talking about, how we're supposed to know they've been resolved, and if this has any effect on registrations already submitted.

I have not seen confirmation of this on any English language news media, but "Headline News" usually gets it right and I doubt anything would have been said about it if they weren't certain.

How do you decide what to do? Flip a coin . . .

Anyone even more confused yet?
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

ceejay wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:09 pm I have found a good way of keeping myself informed is to add the hospital's official Line account.
I did this and it worked, but everything is in Thai.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The following might provide clues about vaccine availability, which presumably influences vaccination dates:

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/ta ... cine-order
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:28 pm The following might provide clues about vaccine availability
That is part of the confusion. We get news about the delays in vaccine availability, but no clue about the reason for the delays or when to expect enough of the vaccine for everyone.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:07 pm That is part of the confusion. We get news about the delays in vaccine availability, but no clue about the reason for the delays or when to expect enough of the vaccine for everyone.
It's not just Thailand behaving like that.

The UK and other governments have been deliberately vague about how many vaccines are due and where they are coming from, even when we've had a comparatively good supply.
The reasons for this probably include the scramble and competition between countries to get their hands on vaccines.

I'll give examples:
1 In Europe, the UK developed one of the vaccines, partly funded by the UK government.
We then trialled several vaccines in the UK -last time I looked, it seemed to be more trials than the entire EU.
The UK government signed supply contracts early, which allows companies to set up facilities and start manufacturing.
Then in 2021, the EU commission starts complaining this is "unfair" & threatening export bans, even though the vaccines we were using in the UK wouldn't even exist if we hadn't signed contracts to start production & the EU was late in doing the same. Thankfully some of the EU countries showed a better attitude than the EU commission.

2 The Serum Institute in India licensed the Astra Zeneca vaccine, then suddenly found exports were banned when India had a domestic covid problem. Any overseas government promising vaccines to it's population then has a problem.

Also, apparently Vaccine batches fail occasionally.

Of course, Thailand is supposed to be manufacturing a good proportion of it's vaccine supply locally.
Considering who owns the vaccine maker (we cannot discuss that), perhaps they don't want to make public promises, in case there are delivery delays ?
Daleinpattaya

Post by Daleinpattaya »

To WINDWALKER …. I added BHP on my LINE … all in Thai … sent them a LINE message asking if they could change to English …. They came back with "sorry for the inconvenience" … they did something on their end and now much is in English…. Fool around with their feed and you should see a menu to change to English