Walk-in vaccinations

Anything and everything about Thailand
2lz2p

Re: Walk-in vaccinations

Post by 2lz2p »

The announcement regarding Expats being able to register was on Friday, so it is most likely that Expat registration for the free government provided vaccine (currently either Sanovac or AstraZeneca whichever is available at time of appointment) has not yet been formalized with BHP or other hospitals that have Expat medical records.

Currently, BPH is a designated vaccine location for providing the early roll out of the 20,000 doses of Sanovac that was made available to Pattaya in May -- read Pattaya Mail article: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/covid- ... ups-356481.

Since BHP has already been designated as a government location in Pattaya, it is most likely they will be one of the hospitals where an Expat can register for the next phase. I read an article that says all available vaccine for June has been reserved (Thais using the Mor Prompt online registration system or at government hospital). So, even though non-Thais will be able to register beginning 7 June, IMO based on most recent news articles, Expats will not be getting a reporting date for vaccination until sometime in July or August or later.

Also, those registering for the free government vaccination will have to accept whichever vaccine is available at the time of their appointment, currently Sanocac (Chinese) or AstraZeneca (Thai under license from manufacturer and due to begin distribution in June).

I spoke with a BHP representative who deals with the Pattaya City Expats Club (PCEC) on 14 May and she said that currently they are in process of trying to order, but expects this will take some time. Further, she said that the earliest they will most likely be able to have a vaccine available will be in September. Further, she had no way of knowing what vaccine that might be. As noted, she said BHP is not doing any pre-bookings to get a vaccine and they will announce availability when a vaccine(s) is available on their Webpage, Facebook page, etc. For PCEC members, since they get a discount on medicines & room rates and are included in BHP's patient computer system, she expects to send out an email to individual members and the to the PCEC so they can publish the information in their Newsletter.

Based on news articles mentioning announcements by representatives of the Private Hospital Association of Thailand, the initial vaccine most likely to be made available for private hospitals will be Moderna (USA). Further, that vaccine will cost 3,000 baht or less (inclusive for both required doses).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:57 am I spoke with a BHP representative who deals with the Pattaya City Expats Club (PCEC) on 14 May and she said that currently they are in process of trying to order, but expects this will take some time.
Why am I not surprised?

I'm considering registering at the hospital and when the walk-in registration becomes available registering for that too. Whichever is available first gets the prize. If we really won't be able to be vaccinated for at least the next few months, what's the point in delaying us registering?

Expats have lived without a vaccine this long. I suppose we can wait another 3 or 4 months - especially since apparently there is no choice.

Even once we do get vaccinated, I'm planning to continue the precautions at least until Thailand says it is no longer necessary and until I am damned sure the vaccine, whichever one we end up with, is truly effective. And how long it stays effective. In other words, are we immune permanently or temporarily?

There are still so many unanswered questions and a lot of confusion. Plenty for my "I Don't Get It" list.

I hope we all see the Covid virus pass into history - before we do . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Private hospitals seek 5m doses of Moderna vaccine

May 23, 2021

The Private Hospital Association is expected to use Moderna Inc shots for its own inoculation program alongside the government’s mass rollout of AstraZeneca Plc and Sinovac Biotech Ltd vaccines.

The group of more than 200 private hospitals is currently reviewing orders from its members and will procure the vaccines through the Government Pharmaceutical Organization, government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul said on Sunday, citing the drug agency. The group is expected to order 5 million doses of Moderna vaccines, she said.

Thailand approved Moderna shots for local use on May 13, making it the fourth vaccine to get the nod from the country’s Food and Drug Administration after Sinovac, AstraZeneca, and Johnson & Johnson. The government has so far relied on Sinovac and AstraZeneca in its vaccination drive, and it allows private firms to market alternative shots.

The vaccine rollout began on Feb 28 but the pace has been restricted by a limited supply of vaccines, with just 2.9 million doses administered so far. The government plans to start a mass rollout on June 7 after it’s expected to receive millions of shots, and has set the target of administering 100 million doses before the end of 2021.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... na-vaccine
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Today, Sunday, the BBC says -- Public Health England has announced that AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines are 'highly effective' against the 'Indian variant'.
The Pfizer and AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccines are highly effective against the variant identified in India after two doses, a study has found.

Two jabs of either vaccine give a similar level of protection against symptomatic disease from the Indian variant as they do for the Kent one.

Full story:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57214596
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I am curious as to why the Thais and walk-ins are all going to get the AstraZenica vaccine, but the private hospitals apparently are going for the Moderna vaccine. Is one better than the other?
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

The Thai PM cancelled the use of Walk In vaccinations sites per news articles - apparently because they would concentrate too many people in one location and would be chaotic to administer or track those that use them. So, it is Mor Prompt application for Thais and as recently announced, Expats registering at a hospital where their medical records are located OR at a Ministry of Public Health designated Hospital.

It appears the CCSA (chaired by the PM) felt that foreigners would be better accommodated by the medical staff at such facilities as many speak English and would be better able to communicate with Expats rather than the places that will be mostly administering the vaccine to Thais.

As to preference in Vaccine being AstraZeneca vs Moderna, it is most likely because the AZ vaccine will be manufactured under license in Thailand and agreements have apparently already been reached on number and delivery of doses. From some articles I have seen, it was expected that Hospitals would negotiate with the Manufacturer of Moderna and place their orders through the Thai Government Pharmaceutical Organization.

But that could change as pressure continues on the Government to provide vaccinations more quickly by also obtaining other vaccines besides Sanovac and AstraZeneca.

So, it is possible, that the Government may decide to preempt private hospitals and lay first claim to any Moderna as well as other vaccines as they are approved. I hope that doesn't happen as I am leaning toward waiting until BHP can provide a vaccine, preferably Moderna. From what I have read it is very effective and, so far, hasn't had any bad side effects such as blood clots (very small percentage getting clots, but there is the risk). Another reason I personally am wanting the Moderna vaccine is because my identical twin brother in USA has had both doses with no ill effects. Of course if side effects occur because of medical condition then choosing Moderna on the basis we both have the same DNA is no sure bet.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here is Pattaya's example of how not to run a vaccine program:

Disorganized Pattaya officials battling chaos to organize June Covid-19 vaccinations

By Pattaya Mail

May 28, 2021

No registry lists, no waiting areas, duplication queue systems and too many walk-ins are among the many problems Pattaya officials must solve before the next round of coronavirus vaccinations begin.

Banglamung District Chief Wutisak Singhadecho hosted a May 27 review of the area’s May 20-21 vaccination drive with Pattaya Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome and administrators from seven Banglamung subdistricts. What they heard wasn’t good.

Wutisak listed a half-dozen organizational problems at the Eastern National Indoor Sports Stadium, the main site when hundreds of thousands of inoculations are planned during June, with the first round scheduled for June 3-4.

A shortage of needed vaccines topped the list of issues, followed by scheduling people so they can be vaccinated before the drugs expire, as they can only be kept at room temperature for so long.

More worrisome was the lack of coordination getting people registered, with staff at registration desks uncertain who was responsible for what.

Also forgotten was creation of a waiting area for those waiting to register.

The most serious problem, however, was the lack of a centralized list of people eligible to receive jabs. Pre-bookings were accepted both manually and electronically, and government agencies sent their own lists of people eligible for shots. But all those lists weren’t sent to the stadium and were delivered to municipal offices or public health departments, leaving stadium staff without complete rosters.

Then there was the issue of people just turning up for shots without having registered at all.

The picture painted at the meeting stood in stark contrast to earlier assertions by local officials that everything went smoothly, there were only minor problems and all those were resolved before next month. That’s clearly not the case.

Wutisak said all the cooks need to stir in the same direction and suggested that the QueQ mobile app not be used to issue queue tickets. After debate, however, the administrators decided to stick with both manual and online systems.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/disorg ... ons-357336
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Is the vaccine program being run by the Immigration Department?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thewayhelooks wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:02 am Is the vaccine program being run by the Immigration Department?
As far as I know, immigration has nothing to do with it. However, my guess is sooner or later immigration will require proof of vaccination in order to get visas and visa extensions, such as the retirement visa.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Americans plead for vaccines as top US diplomat visits

by Dave Kendall

2 Jun 2021

A group of prominent US citizens in Thailand has submitted an open letter to visiting US Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman asking the US government to arrange Covid-19 vaccinations for its expatriate citizens.

“Don’t abandon us!” was the plea.

“The US continues to have a growing vaccine surplus, yet many Americans abroad are still without access to vaccines and their lives are at risk,“ said the letter, written by Democrats Abroad Thailand chair Paul Risley, Republicans Overseas Asia VP Tony Rodriguez, Veterans of Foreign Wars commander Carl Manchester and American Women’s Club of Thailand president Ambreen Miraly.

With a third wave of coronavirus proving by far the most potent — Thailand has logged a daily average of nearly 3,800 new cases and 34 deaths per day over the past week — concerns have risen over the kingdom’s slow and chaotic vaccine rollout. While more than half the US population has now received at least one dose of the vaccine, that was true for just 3.58% in Thailand by the end of May, according to Oxford University-affiliated ourworldindata.org.

The letter noted that during her talks with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and other senior officials, the senior diplomat is likely to discuss donating surplus coronavirus vaccines in the US to Thailand. “We urge that any agreement include enough donated vaccines to cover all American citizens residing in the Kingdom,” the letter said. “The Chinese government has agreed to a similar arrangement with Thailand for its citizens as part of its vaccine donation programme.”

The letter pointed out that unlike almost all other countries, the US required its citizens to pay taxes regardless of where they live. “Overseas Americans should be afforded the same taxpayer-funded vaccines that Americans in the US are receiving now, to fulfil President Biden’s commitment that every American is eligible for a vaccination provided by the US government.”

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... mat-visits