Medical Certificate for Thai Driving License - a change

Anything and everything about Thailand
2lz2p

Medical Certificate for Thai Driving License - a change

Post by 2lz2p »

A post on Thaivisa.com states medical certificates will be required for all driving license including renewals beginning Feb 19. They also mention it will be needed to purchase a vehicle (but read on).

The include a link to their source, the Dept of Land Transport's (DLT) Facebook page. The announcement on that page is in Thai. Using the translate feature it appears that medical certificate(s) will be required - a 2 part Certificate:
There are two parts of the health certification and the medical examination section must be. It is shown that person has no congenital disease or condition of disease that the medical professionals see may be dangerous while driving
https://www.facebook.com/PR.DLT.NEWS/po ... 6662744149

The translation has no mention of any requirement for the certificate to purchase a vehicle.

A year or so ago when a Thai school teacher or maybe principal had an epileptic seizure and ran his car into some children, there was an announcement then of requiring a 2nd medical certification - I recall seeing the proposed form, but apparently didn't keep a copy or can't find where i saved (buried) it. That form did include epilepsy, heart disease, and I think diabetes on the list. What wasn't clear then or now is whether a doctor can certify one is able to drive if any of those conditions are controlled by medication.

If anyone obtains a copy and/or goes through the new process, it would be helpful if they could post their experience and a copy of the Certificate required (part 1 is most likely the current medical certificate which previously was required for a new 2 year license and the first 5 year license - but not for renewals of the 5 year license). That one was a bit of a joke since you could obtain it from almost any medical clinic for 100 to 150 baht, often with no examination - just say you needed it, pay your money, and leave with the certificate in hand. It was also kind of meaningless as it listed only certain communicable diseases and alcoholism - the latter being the only item that might have a bearing on one's driving ability (doctor, are you an alcoholic? answer, no I'm not, okay here is your certificate :D ).
Gaybutton

Re: Medical Certificate for Thai Driving License - a change

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:56 am (doctor, are you an alcoholic? answer, no I'm not, okay here is your certificate).
(doctor, are you an alcoholic? answer, Yes, I am. doctor, Then I cannot issue a medical certificate. answer, Here is 1000 baht. doctor, okay here is your certificate).

I don't believe you can get away with it in Pattaya, but several years ago I was with a Thai friend trying to get his driving license in a rural province. He failed the written test. He asked me for 500 baht and told me to wait outside. 15 minutes later he emerged - with his new driving license . . . Anyone surprised?
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Medical certificates are very easy to get here. When I made a will, I had no trouble finding a doctor willing to certify me as being of sound mind.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ceejay wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:16 pm I had no trouble finding a doctor willing to certify me as being of sound mind.
Where? When I ask that of doctors it usually takes about 10 minutes for them to stop laughing . . .

Actually, for the medical certificate for a driving license, if you're breathing you'll get it.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

It appears that the Medical Certificate that will be required is not the one previously used, which as noted, was not difficult to get. As mentioned, the Facebook page linked from Thaivisa.com mentioned a 2 part Certificate.

The following is from an article about the new requirement in the Bangkok Post (https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... or-drivers
It must come in two parts, the first being a statement from the driver confirming his/her fitness to drive and the second being an appraisal by doctors.
As mentioned in my original post, if anyone obtains a copy of the apparently all new Medical Certificate that will be required and/or has to use it for their next renewal, posting a copy or their experience will be appreciated. According to the Facebook page, the new Certificate will be required effective February 19.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Is any of this a big problem? A statement from the driver himself saying he is fit to drive and medical certificates that are probably no more difficult to obtain than they ever were. Seems to me even if one street clinic denies you the certificate, all you need to do is go to another one, and maybe another one after that. Sooner later you'll have the certificate.

According to the article, the tests given at the licensing office are still the same tests as they always were.

If there is a problem about any of this, I don't see it. To me, the most difficult part of getting the license is sitting through that god-awful movie at the licensing office.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

The Pattaya City Expat Club has posted a copy of the new Medical Certificate (downloaded from a link on the Dept of Land Transport's website). It is all in Thai. They have also downloaded a a "Google Translate" copy that was posted on ThaiVisa.com - although not perfect, it is sufficient to get an idea of what the form shows.

It is a one page form with a part 1 at the top and a part 2 at the bottom. Part 1 is the apparent "self" certification and Part 2 is the doctor's certification. If you go to a doctor to get the Certificate, be sure they are using the new form and not the old one (at today's PCEC meeting, one of the members obtained his last week and it is the old form - since his appointment is tomorrow morning, he will see if they require him to get the new form completed - another member who just renewed his license obtaining the new medical certificate which he used to get his renew his license this past week).

Here are links to the forms posted on the PCEC's server:

Medical Certificate from Dept of Land Transport (in Thai):
http://www.pcecnews.com/permNL/DLT Medi ... ficate.pdf

Google translation of the Certificate:http://www.pcecnews.com/permNL/DLT Medi ... nslate.pdf