Very sad news - Geezer - Burnett Roberts - has died

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Very sad news - Geezer - Burnett Roberts - has died

Post by Gaybutton »

Some of you may have seen Burnett wearing that big white sun hat of his, or have seen photos of him wearing it. For years I would sometimes tease Burnett and say if anything ever happens to you, I get the "Burnett hat".

A few minutes ago I got a surprise visit from Burnett's boyfriend, Anurak, with the hat. He said Burnett had told him to make sure I get the hat. Now I have it.

I asked Anurak if he was there when Burnett died. He said he actually was in his car on his way to visit Burnett. He had gotten as far as Chonburi when he received a call from the facility telling him Burnett had died.

He said he was very upset at first, but he is getting over it. He will be ok.

catawampuscat

Post by catawampuscat »

A close friend of mine and friend of Burnett as well asked me to see if friends of Burnett are planning anything to celebrate
Burnett’s life. My friend doesn’t post but has been viewing this forum for news. He was hoping for a dinner with toasts to
Burnett and some favorite recollections.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

catawampuscat wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:15 pm He was hoping for a dinner with toasts to
Burnett and some favorite recollections.
While I fully understand why people would want to do that, Burnett always made it abundantly clear that he did not want anything like that. For that reason, I do not think it would be a good idea. I think it is more appropriate to respect Burnett's wishes.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Not wanting a funeral service or memorial service is not the same as friends gathering to celebrate his life.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:36 am Not wanting a funeral service or memorial service is not the same as friends gathering to celebrate his life.
In my opinion that is quibbling with words. Go ahead if you want, but as I said, Burnett made it very clear he wanted none of that - which would include friends gathering to celebrate his life or anything else similar. I have no personal objection if that is what some of you wish to do, but as for me, I will respect Burnett's wishes.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

For not wanting anything in his memory, there sure has been plenty of words on this forum in memory of him.
Nonetheless, a few friends did share a toast (with wine) in memory/respect of Burnett's passing.
catawampuscat

Post by catawampuscat »

A group of us, including windwalker, had a dinner in honor of John Lewis’s death a few years back and more recently another dinner in honor of Woody’s death. Both farangs last meal with our group of friends was at the same restaurant.
As we celebrate Biden’s win tonight, I’m confident we’ll toast Burnett as well and share a story or two.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

catawampuscat wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:21 pm I’m confident we’ll toast Burnett as well and share a story or two.
One thing is for sure - all of us who knew him have Burnett stories.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

It has now been a week since the announcement of Geezer's death. This is now a standard topic. Please feel free to continue commenting if you wish.
travelerjim1

Post by travelerjim1 »

I met Burnett many years ago as he would sit at Panorama for the daily 5pm group...chatting and sharing.

You could set your watch for 7pm as he would get up and move next door to Amor Restaurant. He would order the daily special and always with Chocolate Cake as dessert.

One day at Panorama...he said to me the waiter was not smiling. We both carefully watched...
And the young lad would hold his lips closed as he greeted patrons.

I said to Burnett there must be a reason. Burnett stood up and asked the manager for permission to take the lad with him for an hour.

The lad had been in a motorbike accident and lost a tooth. He then proceeded to walk him to Smile Dentist and arranged for a bridge with new front tooth for him...later the lad was all smiles ...😊

That is the Burnett I remember...kind and caring.