Bar observations

Anything and everything about Thailand
aussie

Re: Bar observations

Post by aussie »

Last night i started my Saturday night bar hopping in Sunee. I had not been in that area for a few months and Soi VC was very dark with nearly every business closed until i passed Nice Boys on my way to the central plaza area. Diamond Bar and the Green Chair bar had a few customers with the same staff i had seen there before still working in these difficult times.

I had a drink at Winner bar with about 10 dancers on the stage and most were actually dancing for a while. A group of Thais probably on holiday for the long weekend entered and livened up the place buying drinks and throwing ping pong balls into the shorts of one of the dancers which he happily accepted. 89 baht for my Coke Zero plus tip for dancers so some good value entertainment.

Then it was to Nice Boys where myself and two others were the only customers. As no nearby shops are open the staff need to go down the soi to find a 7 Eleven or noodle shop to bring in food for the dancers. Tonight they were eating chocolate bars and chips and other sweets which is unusual as i usually only see them eating noodles or drinking big bottles of beer. I spread the tips around as best i could and a chuck wow show started with only two of the guys really working hard to earn the 300 baht in the cup. I think they are a bit tired and bored with the lack of customers but 300 baht would be come in quite handy :D you could say for some of these guys. My Leo beer was 200 baht.

I walked over to Boyztown and sat at the outside bar of Copa during some of the show. There were five customers to begin with but after 30 minutes there were about 15 customers inside and at the outside bar so not too bad in the current situation. I saw a Johnnie Walker Black and Red bottles opened while i was there so maybe some profit for the night. BBB looked to have a reasonable amount of customers but i only had a glimpse from outside and Cupidol had 5 guys on stage but no customers. I just had a look and kept walking around the corner to see if A Bomb was still open. There were 10 hunks sitting outside, not my type but my friend wanted to know if they were still open. No customers at that time so i can only guess as to how long some of the bars will survive. Dream Boys and X Boys were both open and X Boys seem to be fairly busy. 90 baht for my Coke Zero at Copa.

After Boyztown i took a songtaew back to Jomtiem Complex which can be very quiet on Saturday nights as many of the bar staff head off to the clubs and karaokes about 1100pm. I had a drink at Doubleshot bar where Erwin the owner of the bar provided some shots for all the customers which were appreciated. The good looking staff of Doubleshot also had their shirts off at midnight which makes it well worth a visit to the bar. There are also three staff at the nearby Cocka2 bar who have also started to take their shirts off later most nights.

It was too early to sleep so a motorcycle taxi to my last stop for the night was the Silipin (Sinlipin) Esarn nightclub on third road which was about 3/4 full of customers. I joined a group of Thai and Laos friends and it was definitely the most fun for the night. There is still fun to be had so i recommend to get out there and enjoy it and support these businesses.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Was Toyboys open? If not does it seem to be permanently closed?
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

gerefan wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:17 pm Was Toyboys open? If not does it seem to be permanently closed?
Closed but permanent, who knows? There's a new makeshift barricade across the front parameter but it's not gutted inside and the sign is still intact. We'll have to wait and see.

The 7-11 on the corner of Second Rd and boystown is closed. Who ever heard of a 7-11 closing?

I walked the length of Walking Street this Friday and it had more customers then any of the gay venues anywhere. Ladies are walking around holding signs in Thai, "Welcome Thai People" Some of the bars were only open for the long weekend. Walking Street remained open to vehicle traffic, not a very good idea.

From by limited unscientific observations local Thai tourism to Pattaya did not really take off this weekend even though the weather was quite good.

Bangkok was exceptionally quiet for the long weekend. That's usual. Traffic jams are being reported returning to Bangkok from Issan.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Trongpai wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:33 pm The 7-11 on the corner of Second Rd and boystown is closed. Who ever heard of a 7-11 closing?
The Family Mart that used to be on the other side of the entrance to Boystown also closed in recent years, as has the Family Mart that used to be at the top of the Nice Boys soi.
Family Mart and 7-Eleven have near identical offers, so if one franchise can fail, so can the other. Add in the suicidal effects of Covid policy on tourist towns and more failures can be expected.
As suggested a few months ago, one-dimensional policy is likely to lead to protests & other political pressure.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Jun wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:01 pm The Family Mart that used to be on the other side of the entrance to Boystown also closed in recent years, as has the Family Mart that used to be at the top of the Nice Boys soi.
The Family Mart in Boyztown was replaced by a ladymassage shop. I think it lasted for about 6 months? Closed now.
7-Elevens and Family Marts are closing in many places all over town. Especially along Beach road and Second road. The 7-Eleven diagonally opposite Niceboys closed too a few days ago.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I don't know how Pattaya made out this holiday weekend but Bangkok was very busy. Soi 4 Silom at 10:30pm Saturday was at near capacity in all venues. It was loud too! Some in costume and some not. I would guess that the customer base was about 80% local Thai in groups, on the young side compared to Pattaya, and into heavy consumption and did I say loud!

Over at Patpong 2 it was pretty much the same scene. Loud! Special halloween parties everywhere. More halloween then loykathong. When did halloween get to be such a thing in Thailand? I seem to recall many years ago it was hardly acknowledged.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

I was told years ago, when first coming to Thailand, that Thais love holidays and partying so much that if a month didn't have any festival, they'd invent one.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Anybody go to the opening night, last night, at Banana Room Club on Silom Soi 4?
Is it just a show-bar or also a gogo bar?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkokian wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:35 pm Is it just a show-bar or also a gogo bar?
I was not there, but judging from their Facebook page, I think it's a show bar.

https://www.facebook.com/bananaroomclub/
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:51 pm judging from their Facebook page, I think it's a show bar.
Judging from their Facebook page, I know I really don't want to go there. I like some slim lads on a stage, not some fat pig female shape.