Very sad news - Geezer - Burnett Roberts - has died

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Very sad news - Geezer - Burnett Roberts - has died

Post by Gaybutton »

I am very sorry to report the death of Burnett Roberts, known on the boards as Geezer. I don't have many details. What I know is he was in his mid 80s, living for the past few years in a retirement home in Chiang Mai, and seemed to be very happy there.

I know his health was slowly failing for the past few years. I spoke to him about 3 weeks ago and he sounded fine and quite cheerful.

I also know he requested no funeral, although I'm sure his long time boyfriend will do something anyway.

Burnett was one of my closest friends for many years. I've known Burnett since before I ever moved to Thailand. I will greatly miss him, as I am sure he will be remembered and missed by everyone, farang and Thai, who ever met him. He was an unforgettable character and a great Pattaya icon.

I'm sorry I don't have a better photo of Burnett. If anyone does, please feel free to post.
richsilver

Re: Very sad news - Geezer - Burnett Roberts - has died

Post by richsilver »

Burnett was a dear friend and a very endearing character though I haven't seen him for a while. He will be missed

richsilver

Post by richsilver »

windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Truly sad news! Geezer was one of a kind; he will be missed.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Burnett was truly a remarkable person in every sense who will be missed dearly.

My last discussion with Burnett was at Ambience in Boyztown over breakfast. Sharp as ever, he told me how much he was enjoying life in Chiang Mai, and also touched on the discussion of "death". This was not something that I ever felt comfortable thinking about, let alone talking about openly with another person, but Burnett had this uncanny ability to put people at ease with his calm mannerisms...always with a twinkle in his eye.

He was extremely forthcoming and candid about his feelings about death, and said openly - while delivering one of his textbook smiles, that he was so fortunate to have lived a wonderful life, and was ready when the time came to move on to the next chapter. He clearly had no fears or apprehensions of death whatsoever. For some reason I think he would want me to convey this to those who knew him.

He touched everyone who knew him with his charm and truly genuine personality.

TIP (Travel in Peace) my friend.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I received the following in an Email from a very reliable friend who somehow obtained a copy of Burnett's death certificate:

"Burnett died on Oct 27, 2020 and death certificate indicated death due to senility around 5:30 AM."
Bob

Post by Bob »

I knew Burnett first on the message boards eons ago. His handle was Geezer, as GB mentions, and he was very sharp and pithy with his tongue for anything he disagreed with or felt was over the top in any respect. Although I got a sharp retort from him once or twice (all deserved), I found him to be an endearing character. He suffered no fools.
Then, in 2014 or early 2015, I was informed that he had moved to Dawk Kaew Gardens, an assisted living place at the McKean Rehabilitation Institute on the island just southeast of Chiangmai so, with a local friend, went to visit him there. We (friend Frank and I) later took him out to lunch at the beautiful Kao Mao Kao Fang restaurant just south of Chiangmai....and am attaching a photo I took then.
I was told a sometime later that Burnett moved back to Pattaya (built a house there) and I figured I'd likely never see him again. But was told just a few minutes ago that the move only lasted several months and he was back at Dawk Kaew Gardens in short order (wish I knew that as I would have visited again).
Anyway, sorry to hear....RIP Burnett.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:12 pm "Burnett died on Oct 27, 2020 and death certificate indicated death due to senility around 5:30 AM."
Senility? Is that even a disease or just a way of saying the coroner didn't want to be bothered.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Burnett had always made it clear that he wants no funeral service, no memorial service, nothing special, and nothing expensive. He got his wish. I now know he was cremated 2 days later.

RichLB wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:28 pm Senility? Is that even a disease or just a way of saying the coroner didn't want to be bothered.
There was no autopsy. He was 86 years old. My guess is whoever put it down to senility saw no reason for further investigation. Personally I don't believe he was even particularly senile beyond what would be normal for his age. As I said in an earlier post I spoke with him only a few weeks ago. He seemed fine and perfectly lucid and coherent. In my opinion, Burnett died of old age.
Jun

Post by Jun »

He made very sensible contributions to this board, the last of which appear to be in 2019. Will be missed.