Time for a poll - Who's going to win the USA Presidential election?

Who do you think will win the USA Presidential election?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:33 pm

1. Biden
64%
2. Trump
36%
3. A third party candidate
No votes
4. A write-in candidate
No votes
5. It will be a tie
No votes
6. Other (please explain)
No votes

Total votes: 14

Up2u

Re: Time for a poll - Who's going to win the USA Presidential election?

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:38 pm I would be amazed if that happens, even after Trump. I think what America needs to do is get rid of the obsolete electoral college and go to strictly popular vote.
Not going to happen, requires a constitutional amendment. Some might support that the winner of popular vote within a congressional district would receive an electoral college vote. Sounds fairer to me. One legislative outcome of this election should Biden win is candidates must provide their tax returns. Additionally, all business holdings must be placed in a blind trust and administered by a third party with no family ties. Also, nepotism laws that are enforced (no Bobby Kennedys, no Ivanka Trumps or Kushners). Any others?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:00 pm
......And the prison bus is part of Biden's inaugural parade
:lol: ...Just too funny !!!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Swing wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:32 pm Sadly, I don't think Trump will be led out of the White House in handcuffs--one of his last acts will be to pardon himself.
Even if he can get away with pardoning himself, and I'm not so sure he can, that would apply only to federal crimes. Hopefully even his stacked Supreme Court would not let him get away with it.

One thing he cannot do is to pardon himself from state crimes, and New York, for one, wants him charged, tried, and convicted.

Whether Trump is out of office after this election or four years from now, obviously many laws will need to be changed, upgraded, repealed, and created - in hopes of never allowing anything like Trump to happen again. Trump believes if something is not specifically addressed in existing laws, then it is perfectly ok for him to do whatever he wants - and that's what he does.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

Dodger wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:27 pm : Didn't the first John Adams have a middle name?..
Most of the early presidents didn't have middle names, including Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Lincoln--around 15 in total, through Theodore Roosevelt. (Sources differ on a few). And famously, Harry Truman had only a middle initial--S, which stood for nothing.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Swing wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:35 am Most of the early presidents didn't have middle names
One exception was John Quincy Adams. He used Quincy to distinguish himself from his father and former president, John Adams. I don't know if John Adams Jr. would have been used in those days. I can't think of any examples.

And, by the way, if any of you have never seen the 2008 mini-series, "John Adams", it's a 'don't miss', especially for Americans.
Captain Swing

A Pretty-Bad-Case Scenario

Post by Captain Swing »

This is a New YorkTimes op-ed piece giving a very depressing version of what we might look forward to the day after the election. It's very long and very chilling. But it's probably not the worst set of possibilities.

ttps://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/30/opinion/trum ... e=Homepage
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Now that the campaign is essentially over, now we have to await the final outcome.

When will we know? I think Shakespeare gave us the best answer to that question:

"When the hurly-burly’s done
When the battle's lost and won"

-- Second Witch - 'Macbeth'

Of course, if Trump loses the election will he leave office peacefully? Not according to Bill Maher - and I think he's right:

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:05 amNow that the campaign is essentially over, now we have to await the final outcome.
Assuming Biden is at least a few percent ahead, when is this likely to be called ?
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Jun wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:48 am
Gaybutton wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:05 amNow that the campaign is essentially over, now we have to await the final outcome.
Assuming Biden is at least a few percent ahead, when is this likely to be called ?
Polls in Florida and Pennsylvania are tightening but we can judge Trump's strength early in the night. Florida counts ballots early and by law has been counting the early mail-in ballots as we speak. Expect a dump of returns within 30 minutes of poll closing, 7:00 am our time in Thailand. Could be an early call in Florida assuming no hanging chads. Pennsylvania and other swing states are a different story.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/01/politics ... index.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

For the election, I say Go Trump!

You know why I say that? Because that's exactly what I want Trump to do - GO! - right to a jail cell . . .