Time for a poll - Who's going to win the USA Presidential election?

Who do you think will win the USA Presidential election?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:33 pm

1. Biden
64%
2. Trump
36%
3. A third party candidate
No votes
4. A write-in candidate
No votes
5. It will be a tie
No votes
6. Other (please explain)
No votes

Total votes: 14

Up2u

Re: Time for a poll - Who's going to win the USA Presidential election?

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:14 pm My question is, assuming your scenario happens, if it is not all resolved by January 20 - the date the next president is sworn in - who is president?
How the electoral college works and how the president will be selected this year

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-the ... ine-2020-8
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:00 pm How the electoral college works and how the president will be selected this year
That does not answer my question. I think if Trump loses the electoral vote, no matter how the popular vote goes, he is still going to try to dispute the election and stay in office. Not only does his ego prevent a peaceful transition of power, but he probably is fearful of being arrested as soon as he is no longer in office.

If he loses, the last thing I expect him to do is what he is supposed to do - accept defeat and peacefully hand over power to Biden. From among all the scenarios I envision, that one is way down at the bottom of my list.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Dodger wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:22 pm Ironically, our poll, which stands today at 67% Biden - 33% Trump, could be close to where the actual election ends up.

I'm not only confident that Trump will be defeated, but won't be surprised if we see a "landside" - similar to Ronald Reagan taking forty-four states and 489 electoral votes when he ran against Carter, making that the worst drubbing for a sitting president since 1932.

I'm not assuming that Trump will be defeated, because I can still feel the after-shock of the nightmare phenomenon 4 years ago, but I do feel very confident.

The icing on the cake, as if we'll need any, is the possibility of the Democrat's sweeping the House and Senate as well. Trump is dragging down the GOP from the top (no surprise there) - and a rising tide lifts all boats.

With the exception of a percentage of uneducated xenophobic white men who want the blacks and Mexicans back working the fields, and their women knowing their place, all other key demographic groups in the U.S. want Trump out. Fortunately, they constitute the majority of Americans, including those in the battleground states.

A lot of people are fearful of a Big Trump Surprise in the final days. Well, that Big Surprise ain't gonna happen. The only surprise he's going to see is on election day.

Go Biden!
I have confidence in a Biden/Harris victory but in a close election nowhere near the 67-33 of this board. Why? Because Democrats are lazy, I know three expats from Nevada, Texas and Florida that have not voted. Trump does have a slim path to victory. The polls are within the margin of error in the swing states again and Trump simply needs to pick off one of the blue-firewall and he's in despite losing the popular vote by 5%. I hope the democrats come out of the closet in huge numbers and it is a blue route but first the violence in Pennsylvania and now this.... https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/29/politics ... index.html

Don't despair when the early returns are red and Trump claims victory. It could be a long night or even days.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:30 am
......If he loses, the last thing I expect him to do is what he is supposed to do - accept defeat and peacefully hand over power to Biden. From among all the scenarios I envision, that one is way down at the bottom of my list.
I totally agree.

What concerns me the most is the fact that the idiot will have until Inauguration Day on January 20 to inflict as much damage as he possibly can to the electoral process, all for the purpose of creating chaos and portraying himself as being a "Victim" instead of a "Loser". Personally, I think he'll succeed. Not in overturning the election, but in convincing his base that he was a victim of voter fraud.

One would hope that America would learn from this, and make it mandatory for any candidate running for the office of President in the future to undergo a comprehensive phycological examination before being qualified to even run for office. The fact that Trump has a severe psychotic mental disorder (among others) and has the power to push the "big red button" is reason enough to mandate this.

Unfortunately, with the deadline for the receipt of late mail-in ballots being extended to November 9, we'll have to be patient. If by chance there's a "landslide", which I personally believe is possible (for Biden of course), it should hopefully be pretty clear by November 6. Fingers-crossed!

I hope Lindsey Graham goes down the tubes as well. I just had to say that.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:00 am One would hope that America would learn from this
I would be amazed if that happens, even after Trump. I think what America needs to do is get rid of the obsolete electoral college and go to strictly popular vote.

I also think laws need to be passed to eliminate vote disputes without any evidence to back up the dispute. But without a substantial democratic majority in the White House, Congress, the Supreme Court, and in the state governments I can't imagine any of it actually happening.

I hope we will soon see the last of Trump, his sycophants, his family, and his house and senate supporters. That, at least, is possible. I think unlikely, but possible.

For me, a dream scenario would be for Trump to reluctantly attend Biden's inauguration or even refuse to go, and then be led away in handcuffs the moment it's over. And I would have no objection if law enforcement enters the White House and leads him out in handcuffs - with his jacket over his hands trying to hide the handcuffs everybody knows are there. And not long thereafter, "Hello Mr. Trump. Welcome to Super Max. We have your rest-of-your-life cell all prepared for you. Enjoy your stay."

Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

Sadly, I don't think Trump will be led out of the White House in handcuffs--one of his last acts will be to pardon himself. While it's questionable if that's legal, or constitutional, the question won't be decided by Inauguration Day. Even if it is decided to be valid, it won't apply to state charges, so he will still be in legal jeopardy in New York, and maybe elsewhere. I don't think his post-presidential years will be peaceful ones. I think at least some chickens will eventually come home to roost. That's not enough, of course, but it's not nothing.

I"m afraid I have no confidence that America will learn anything from this sorry episode. I doubt any meaningful reform will happen. It's unlikely that we'll be subjected to such a aberrant personality again any time soon, but the underlying toxicity that he fed on and encouraged won't go away. Trumpism will reemerge under another name. If Trump is defeated by a large enough margin and takes enough other officeholders down with him he'll become "Donald Who?" to many of his enablers, but others will be lining up to try to appeal to the same poisonous base of supporters.

A regular Mary Sunshine, ain't I.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I'd be fairly happy if Trump ended up like Mussolini. The world would be a better place.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

Works for me.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:38 pm For me, a dream scenario would be for Trump to reluctantly attend Biden's inauguration or even refuse to go, and then be led away in handcuffs the moment it's over.
After doing some reading, I see where 3 incumbent Presidents in the past refused to attend a President Elects inauguration: John Adams, John Quincy Adams, and Andrew Johnson. After reading that I had to scratch my head: Didn't the first John Adams have a middle name?...and who in the fuck was Andrew Johnson?

Anyway, Trump being the most pronounced definition of a Colossal Narcissist, attending the inauguration of the man who defeated him is simply not possible...beyond his mental and emotional capacity...defies every fiber in his being. He could NEVER attend because, in his mind, he's the only one who could possibly be "Winner".

I'd like to see him dragged out in handcuffs too, but what would be better, is if they chained him up with his entire robot family, and carted them all off in a prison bus. Young Baron's mind is totally fried just from sitting at the dinner table with these warped clowns for the past15 years. They should just flip him the keys to Mar Lago and tell him to have a good time.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:27 pm what would be better, is if they chained him up with his entire robot family, and carted them all off in a prison bus.
And the prison bus is part of Biden's inaugural parade . . .

By the way, Andrew Johnson was Abraham Lincoln's Vice President who, of course, was sworn in upon Lincoln's death. He also was impeached and went through the trial. He prevailed - by one vote.