Retiring in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
whitedesire

Retiring in Thailand

Post by whitedesire »

Very interesting report in the media about Dubai promoting retirement. Ok, you need money, but the media seem to think that a lot of countries will start to offer retirement visas especially for wealthy people, especially since Corona, as their economies will have been hit, and they need wealth.

I wouldn't want to retire in Dubai for sure, but it could set a precedent to countries to offer retirement visas, and some countries to compete with each other.
christianpfc

Re: Retiring in Thailand

Post by christianpfc »

I wouldn't want to retire in Dubai either. I need some boys, culture (based on long history, not recent development) and nature (other than sand and sea) to keep me entertained.

The current crisis will surely prompt everyone who is looking to move somewhere, to see how that country treats those who have committed by founding a family, buying property, and so on. And I'm afraid Thailand does not fare well.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I’ve been following the International Living Magazine for years just for the fun of it. It goes through an annual ranking process based on a bunch of logical factors that seem to matter most to retirees.

Up until a few years ago Chiang Mai Thailand ranked in the Top 10, but they seem to have slipped recently….with Malaysia and Vietnam being the only Asian countries that made the Top 10 list.

Here’s the ranking according to the Global Annual Retirement Index for 2020:

1 – Portugal
2 – Panama
3 – Costa Rica
4 – Mexico (Puerto Vallarta)
5 – Columbia
6 – Ecuador
7 – Malaysia
8 – Spain
9 – France
10 - Vietnam

It will be interesting to see how this ranking changes post covid-19. Thailand could possibly move up in the rankings based on its safety record at handling the pandemic. Where countries like Spain and France may lose some ground based on the same criteria.

With the civil unrest in Thailand right now, coupled with the failing economy caused by the pandemic, it would be surprising to see masses of people wanting to retire here right now for those reasons. Then again, there could be a dramatic decline in people wanting to retire in any foreign countries in a post-pandemic era.

As far as I’m concerned, Thailand still ranks # 1 on my list.

https://internationalliving.com/the-bes ... to-retire/
pong

Post by pong »

That list seems to me completely NAFTA=US+CA based, here in EUrope noone would dream of countries like Panama or Equador. Colombia does indeed get some recent pos. reviews from gay enterprising voyagers getting tired/afraid of Brasil-bur for occasional visits, not for all the time.
Being myself since a few yrs in that age bracket Ie definitely decided to stay here in EU and only visit-untill march last, to visit TH and perhaps from there some other ASEAN countries for the cold monthes. That avoids also the numerous other problems with insurance and social security-from vivid Thai expat fora (other as TV=ThaiVisa) I recall that most are about EUR males married/tied to Thai females and all report the same problems.
But I also suspect (having had a career in statistics and questionnaires and all that) that this listing is probably also quite biased due to those willing to respond and their nrs.
BTW-I also was a regular visitor to ChMai but last time I went there I decided to not go again-too many Chinese overrunning this charming town and all the result that tends to go with that, incl. much higher prices. It was BKK for me, still thinking (sorry for mr. khunLung GB) that Pattaya would have to little to entertain me for the days). Currently thinking its only 50/50 chance to see BKK again in the upcoming year. But for der Chr it must be even much more boring there somewhere (as I recall?) close to the Polish border in the eastern east of Germany- MacPomm or former Analfabetia? Why dont you go to Berlin and explore there?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Ranking lists tend to be very subjective and for most such lists, the countries tend to move around from year to year far more than a rational person might expect.
Vietnam is #10. I saw some other article promoting Vietnam as a retirement option recently, but they failed to identify any form of retirement visa scheme. The article I saw referred only to short term tourist visas and business visas. If I have to run a business to live in a country, it's not what I would call pure retirement. Semi-retirement at best. It's a decade since I've been to Vietnam & I find Thailand is far more pleasant.

At least places like Portugal at the top of the list have retirement visa schemes. However, if one is partial to smooth Asian twinks, retiring in Asia is the way to go. I imagine the writers of the article don't consider how easy it is to find boys.
Currently, Thailand would be top of my list in Asia. I'd have to make further visits to several countries before deciding which is next.
aussie

Post by aussie »

Jun wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:21 pmThe article I saw referred only to short term tourist visas and business visas. If I have to run a business to live in a country, it's not what I would call pure retirement.
I have a friend holding a business visa purchased from an agent and he has been living in Vietnam for many years without operating any businesses. Rules and checks seem to be ignored when agents are involved.

My friend was looking to live in Thailand but after a trip to Pattaya and Bangkok late last year he could not wait to get back to Ho Chi Minh City. After six visits to Vietnam in recent years I would consider moving to Vietnam myself.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

aussie wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:35 pm After six visits to Vietnam in recent years I would consider moving to Vietnam myself.
Having never been to Vietnam myself, I am curious. What is the attraction(s)?
Jun

Post by Jun »

aussie wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:35 pm I have a friend holding a business visa purchased from an agent and he has been living in Vietnam for many years without operating any businesses. Rules and checks seem to be ignored when agents are involved.
That's useful to know. I guess the agent is paid a fee, which facilitates things.
Gaybutton wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:29 pmHaving never been to Vietnam myself, I am curious. What is the attraction(s)?
Having been to Vietnam myself just the once, I'm also interested to know what the attractions are.
(Have been to Cambodia 5 times, Laos 3 times, Myanmar twice & Malaysia)
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

pong wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:15 pmBut for der Chr it must be even much more boring there somewhere (as I recall?) close to the Polish border in the eastern east of Germany- MacPomm or former Analfabetia? Why dont you go to Berlin and explore there?
I keep myself entertained with travel to Mannheim in August, Brazil September, Dresden this month (October). I regularly travel to Berlin to Thai embassy (once per year) and visit friends. I spot some cute boys in public transport. I have never been to a gay bar or sauna in Berlin, and reports about Eastern European rentboys mean that there will be nothing for me. And a look at online dating was disappointing.

Going to Thailand is not just about boys; weather, temples and other things play a part, too.

I would be vary of retiring somewhere where I need an agent to get me a business visa. That might work now, but rules can change.

I like it in Vietnam, but I prefer darker skinned boys. And for same effort, I had more and better experiences with Thai, Lao, Cambodian and Myanmar boys, that's why I go to these countries more often.

Malaysia has a retirement visa, and a US friend likes it there and goes there often, but my problem with Malaysia is that I don't know how long homosexuality will be tolerated.
aussie

Post by aussie »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:29 pm
aussie wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:35 pm After six visits to Vietnam in recent years I would consider moving to Vietnam myself.
Having never been to Vietnam myself, I am curious. What is the attraction(s)?
I would consider moving to Vietnam only if the conditions for living in Thailand changed too much. I travelled all through the major cities and countryside of Vietnam and loved the scenery and the people. I made some good friends who i travelled with in Vietnam and overseas who were never interested in using me as an ATM. I realize that Vietnam has it's share of money boys and those in need but i was fortunate to meet university students who were happy to hang out with a foreigner and we are still friends. If i did move to Vietnam i would look at living in Danang/Hoi An with clean streets, good markets/shopping and many excellent beaches. I also found that the Vietnamese are generally very good looking and there seemed to be slim handsome guys everywhere that i looked all over the country.

From my observations Thailand has better medical facilities, long term visas and in general better facilities for foreigners so i will be staying here for now.