the most promising vaccine goes to human trial this week

gera

Re: the most promising vaccine goes to human trial this week

Post by gera »

The third phase of Novavax vaccine trial started in ... UK. Novavax is an American company and got aimost 2 billion dollars from US government for trials and an initial manufacturing. Why UK? Because FDA has not approved the trial in US yet. The antibody cocktail trials of Regeneron will be
conducted in UK too. Regeneron is New York based company which got government funding for the manufacturing of the cocktail. Why in UK? Are not there more than enough cases in US. I suspect the reason is the same. US regulators seem to deliberately slow down the development of vaccines and vital medications. Why? I am becoming paranoidal about the possible reasons....
About J and J vaccine. The vaccine is similar to Oxford vaccine and Russian Sputnik V. The started trial presumes one shot (rather than 2 for Oxford vaccine and Sputnik V). But will it work without a boost? Second shot for vector vaccines based on the same adenovirus (like Oxford vaccine) may not provide a boost. Paradoxically it gives an advantage to Sputnik V because it uses two different adenoviruses in the first and second shot respectively.
gera

Post by gera »

The situation with Human challenge trials is getting more complicated. The valuable time has been wasted. There are now several strains of the virus and preparing of one for the trial becomes a challenge in itself. The virus is slowly mutating (in comparison with say HIV virus) but because the number of infections is growing fast the overall speed of mutations is high. The right strategy from the very beginning was to contain the virus rather than allowing it to spread with the hope of a vaccine or a miracle cure. It is quite possible that by the time the clinical trials are over some or all vaccines lose their original efficacy due to the rapid evolution of the virus. The best hope in this case is to have seasonal vaccinations like in case of the flu with changing vaccines trying to catch up with rapidly evolving virus.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gera wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:20 pm The right strategy from the very beginning was to contain the virus rather than allowing it to spread
I am glad I am in Thailand. I think by now everybody knows what an excellent job Thailand has done preventing the virus from spreading. Some don't like the tactics, but it works. To date a total of 59 people throughout all of Thailand have died from the virus.
Jun

Post by Jun »

gera wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:20 pm The right strategy from the very beginning was to contain the virus rather than allowing it to spread with the hope of a vaccine or a miracle cure.
Containing it at the very beginning would have made sense.
However, back in January, the WHO was very clearly arguing against any form of restrictions on travel in and out of China, which failed the common sense test even at the time. Of course, hardly anyone was discussing this then.

Now the same people at the WHO are arguing in favour of restrictions everywhere. Donald Trump is probably correct to cease funding the WHO. Or perhaps he should cease funding them until the management are all fired, commit suicide, or whatever it takes to get them to somewhere where they can do less damage.
gera

Post by gera »

FDA halts clinical trials of one of the promising vaccine by Innovio. Apparently , there are no problems with vaccine (they continue first stage trial).
Then what it is about? What kind of contribution government organizations responsible for the pandemic response made so far? Screw up original test?
Recommended not to wear masks? Resisted travel restrictions? Now they sabotage the developments of vaccines. All these pathetic motherfuckers (including Faucci) should go.

https://sports.yahoo.com/inovio-dives-2 ... 11475.html
gera

Post by gera »

Good news about Regeneron antiviral cocktail.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/29/health/r ... index.html
There are several caveats. It is very expensive treatment which is difficult to produce. It therefore will hardly make any difference in places like US ,where the situation is horrific. More importantly I doubt that mothefuckers from FDA will grant an emergency authorization for the drug quickly.
gera

Post by gera »

Moderna vaccine shows antibody response in older adults on par with younger ones.
https://news.yahoo.com/moderna-covid-19 ... 04206.html
Expect increasing flow of information on various vaccines: we are rapidly approaching the moment of truth when we will know whether they are at least provide a short term protection (or not!).
gera

Post by gera »

FDA continue to halt the trial of Oxford vaccine. UK, Brasil,South Africa and India all restarted it. In my opinion, there are absolutely no objective reasons for this delay. And hundreds of thousands of Americans die as we speak.
https://www.benzinga.com/news/20/09/177 ... estigation
gera

Post by gera »

If you read my posts in this thread, you can see that FDA delays clinical trials of at least three covid vaccines. At least two of them are now in phase 3
trials in UK and other countries. I do not believe that somehow UK imposes less stringent scientific requirements for conducting trials than US. It is not a secret that there is a huge political pressure in US coming from various groups to delay approval of any covid vaccine before elections. If FDA succumbed to such pressure (and , of course, I do not know that) , it is criminal behavior and should be treated like that taking into account that the daily number of infections is currently growing fast and on average 1000 Americans are dying every day.
gera

Post by gera »

Europe starts rolling review of Oxford vaccine.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -in-europe
It means that European regulators will start checking real time data of phase 3 clinical trials to compare infections in vaccinated and placebo cases.
This procedure is indicative of imminent emergency authorization provided the data warrants it. It should be compared with US situation where the clinical trials of the vaccine are halted. Does anybody believe that EU would consider the authorization if there was a real danger of severe side effects?
WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA?