Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Gaybutton

Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Post by Gaybutton »

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87

By Joan Biskupic and Ariane de Vogue

September 19, 2020

(CNN) - Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died on Friday due to complications of metastatic pancreas cancer, the court announced. She was 87.

Ginsburg was appointed in 1993 by President Bill Clinton and in recent years served as the most senior member of the court's liberal wing consistently delivering progressive votes on the most divisive social issues of the day, including abortion rights, same-sex marriage, voting rights, immigration, health care and affirmative action.

I believe Ruth Bader Ginsburg was well known enough that placing the full article on the board is not necessary. Her death is a terribly sad loss not only to the USA, but in my opinion to the world.

See the full article at: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/18/poli ... index.html
Up2u

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Post by Up2u »

... and McConnell wants a vote on Trump nominee ASAP.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Hopefully, he will not get it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:58 am ... and McConnell wants a vote on Trump nominee ASAP.
I'm waiting for Trump to nominate McConnell himself, or perhaps Dan Quayle, Sarah Palin, Rudy Giuliani, or Bill Barr. Whoever he nominates, I'm expecting it to be the worst possible choice. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding my breath.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Just a reminder from the NYTimes, "It was a stark turnabout from his position four years ago, when Mr. McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the majority leader, reacted to the death of Justice Antonin Scalia by declaring that a successor should await the outcome of the presidential election, and then proceeded to block President Barack Obama’s nominee, Judge Merrick B. Garland."

For Mitch McConnell, Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Death Prompts Stark Turnabout https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/us/m ... trump.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:12 pm Just a reminder from the NYTimes
Why am I not surprised?