No umbrella Wednesday ending??

Anything and everything about Thailand
Daleinpattaya

No umbrella Wednesday ending??

Post by Daleinpattaya »

Minimal mention of Jomtien in this article .... remains to be seen.

Pattaya ending ‘No Umbrella Wednesdays’, extending beach vendor hours

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattay ... urs-312730

August 28, 2020

“No Umbrella Wednesdays” will come to an end in Pattaya as the city gives beach chair vendors more and longer hours to operate in exchange for help in catching parking.

Deputy Mayor Manote Nongyai chaired an Aug. 26 meeting with vendors from Pattaya and Wong Amat where 17 changes to regulations governing their operations were discussed and to which the chair renters agreed.

The major change will be an end to the Wednesday practice of removing all beach chairs and umbrellas to allow for beach cleaning and provide a “back to nature” experience once a week.

Going forward, pending approval by Pattaya’s mayor and full city council, chairs and umbrellas will be prohibited only until 10 a.m. while the beach is cleaned. They can then set up and operate the rest of the day.

The day is getting longer, too. Instead of having to close up shop at 6 p.m., vendors now will be allowed to operate until 8 p.m. daily.

Instead of the Wednesday shut down, Pattaya-area beaches will set aside three consecutive days every four months where intensive cleaning, sand-sifting, tree-trimming and landscaping work is done.

In Pattaya and Wong Amat, that quarterly event will occur the third week of the month. In Jomtien and Pratamnak Hill, it will be the second week of the month. Scheduled changes will happen if the cleaning dates fall on holidays.

In exchange for the extended hours, Pattaya wants chair operators to help them with parking problems, asking them to report beachfront businesses, vehicle-rental businesses and even other beach chair vendors parking illegally and creating traffic congestion.

Vendors agreed, but said Pattaya needs to create more parking areas, especially on weekends and holidays, for Thai tourists that are now the only source of revenue. Operators suggested Pattaya put up signs pointing motorists to lots and then allow parking on beach roads on weekends and holidays.

Manote said he would take the suggestions to the mayor and council.
aussie

Re: No umbrella Wednesday ending??

Post by aussie »

I never have understood why beach concessions in Pattaya/Jomtien are mostly open only till 1800 and now 2000 hours. In Bali and Vietnam and other places that I visit most people go to the beach concessions around sunset enjoying a swim or food, drink and music till late. It is so pleasant walking along the seaside at Jomtien at night and I often think it would be nice to relax at night there with friends occasionally instead of a bar.

The authorities may be worried about crime at night but with suitable lighting and security it would be safe at Dongtan beach up to Pattaya Park which already has good lighting on the road section.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Actually the beach as been open on Wednesday in practice for several months. Now, I guess it's official. Several concessions have recently packed it in and closed. The one to the left of Mr Ritt's as well as about 1/3 of others as estimated my Mr Ritt. Some might open on weekends only.

Mr Ritt said the city will close the beach on designated day(s) each month for cleaning. He was skeptical about this and the days have yet to be specified.

There's great anticipation that business will pick up for the upcoming 4 day weekend.

The chairs are spaced out and there's not a lot of them but more than enough for the demand.

Tui's guest house, Avalon, Rabbit Resort and the Welcome Hotel are closed.

There's a new sales office for a condo just past Tui's. To be built on that site? Nothing there now but there's artist renditions of something. The office was closed?

The road is open all the way to the water park for curb parking Thursday to Sunday.

Most of the massage boys have jumped ship. Manicure ladies remain. Very few vendors.

Several homeless people have moved into those vacant store structure next to VT7.

On a positive note it's peaceful and quiet.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I guess this is a dumb question, but where can one find a nearby restroom?
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Yes, several. Two new free standing structures 5B still clean. Also, BBInn has clean restrooms and showers 5B. The Pirate Cove is also open for really good breakfast and they have restrooms.

I noticed this weekend the Zing at Jomtiem Complex was closed and pad locked yet Agoda showed it open and you could book a room but it was fortuitously a pay at hotel only deal.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I wonder why they only consider ending the dumb policies on beach concessions when there are no tourists ? There's no credible justification at all for the current rules. Head to the beach on a Wednesday and there's no sign at all of cleaning, so the idea closing for cleaning is just a damned lie. Besides, the concession operators usually keep their patch clean.
Trongpai wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:15 pm Yes, several. Two new free standing structures 5B still clean.
I thought the free standing buildings were just refurbished, rather than new. Unless of course they have built two more of them. One had a plumbing malfunction and water on the floor back in February. Cleanliness might be better with fewer tourists.

Another option is at the white coloured place just behind the concessions with the Rainbow flags. 5 baht, clean & 3 urinals, so usually no waiting.

If I need to go whilst returning from the beach, I've gone to DD Inn, which is 5 baht.

Obviously being over 5000 miles away, I'm not best positioned to advise on what's open at present.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

The two bathrooms on Dong Tarn were re-opened several weeks ago.

"There's a new sales office for a condo just past Tui's. To be built on that site? Nothing there now but there's artist renditions of something. The office was closed? "

Not a condo. Pay them 285 million baht and they will build you a house there. The house pictured on the sign is their suggested design.
https://ametus.co.th/