Bar observations

Anything and everything about Thailand
aussie

Re: Bar observations

Post by aussie »

SP55 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:24 pmCastro has reopened. No shows currently
Taken from a Facebook post:

"Khun Oil and Khun Bird welcome you to the re opening of Castro and Panorama bars. The bars will reopen on Friday 10 July.

Happy hours will remain at 18:00 - 20:00 as usual at both bars but a 10% discount will apply to the regular bar prices after 20:00.

Castro bar terrace price list will apply inside and out and the 10% will apply after 20:00.

There will be a show at Castro on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday starting at 22:30.

Both bars will close at midnight in accordance to the current restrictions."
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

As you can see, since July 1 has come and gone, I have amended the topic title. If anyone has any further bar information, please let us know.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I went to the Boyz Boyz show in Pattaya on 24 July at 2230 (Friday) with some friends. I'm not sure the exact customer count but there were around 10-15, quite sparse. Boys on stage, also I did not get an exact count but was told 35 but that seems high, perhaps 20. It's hard to count as they come and go. The quality I thought was good but of course that's subjective. I recognized only two and they I knew were Thai but I am not 100% sure about the rest. Drinks were 200B.

The show consisted of first the regular B-Boys group followed by one lady-boy lip sync act. Then several erotic boy acts like the towel routine. The lady boy came out for a second performance. Then the final act was the large member parade and drum playing followed by the boys, I counted 9, could have been a few more, going around with their hat in hand for tips.

I went in with low expectations but it was better then I expected. It's not the same as what was on offer before Covid19. Better then nothing.

The show was on going at Castro as we left and I looked in and counted 8 customers.

Toy Boys was open, but closed. The lights were on, we were invited in. The first pass showed a hand full of really good looking boys at the outside terrace. Second pass, there were two very good looking boys in street clothes. I never noticed any customers.

Panorama was open to a few customers as was Serene. Cupidol closed.

Dream boys, A Bomb and XBoys open early, around 7, but I did not go inside.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:05 pm Toy Boys was open, but closed. The lights were on, we were invited in.
I'm not quite following what you mean. Toy Boys is open, but only if you are invited in?
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

The door was open, lights on, no one inside, no customers no boys, no waiters. One manager who welcomed me in. I guess I could have sat there alone and had a drink? Testing the water? Maybe Saturday night was different?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:36 pm The door was open, lights on, no one inside, no customers no boys, no waiters.
Now I think i understand. The boys you saw were outside of the bar, on the terrace. I'm wondering whether they work at Toy Boys or whether they were freelancers just using that spot. Either way, if there were no boys, waiters, customers or anything else going on inside, not much point to going in.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

It is my understanding that the boys outside Toyboys are straight and usually only go with women.

Mind you there are probably no women, or men,customers in Pattaya at the moment.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:34 am It is my understanding that the boys outside Toyboys are straight and usually only go with women.
In that case, if you really like one of those boys, just dress in drag and you're all set . . .

Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

The five boys I encountered on the terrace of Toy Boys (three at 9:45 and another two at 11:45) may have been straight, who knows, but I got the strong impression that anyone of them would have went with me or my friends.

I wonder if the gay bars will be able to continue in this economic environment? Are they just testing are water and see how it goes? I can't see how they are making enough to cover operating costs. Expats it appears are not a sufficient customer base in either Pattaya or Bangkok.

I returned to Bangkok on Saturday, the start of the 4 day long weekend. Usually the highway on the other side would be a parking lot with hoards of Bangkok residents trying to go to Pattaya. There was some Pattaya bound traffic but much lighter than would be normal for a long weekend, no traffic jams. Toll free too.

These bar observations are just a snap shot in time and space. Things could change and be modified day to day, hour to hour.

Here is a current photo of what was soi Twilight.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Trongpai wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:16 am I wonder if the gay bars will be able to continue in this economic environment? Are they just testing are water and see how it goes? I can't see how they are making enough to cover operating costs. Expats it appears are not a sufficient customer base in either Pattaya or Bangkok.

I returned to Bangkok on Saturday, the start of the 4 day long weekend. Usually the highway on the other side would be a parking lot with hoards of Bangkok residents trying to go to Pattaya. There was some Pattaya bound traffic but much lighter than would be normal for a long weekend, no traffic jams. Toll free too
Thank you for your observations. On the first point the answer must clearly be “No”...they can’t survive if this carries on. In fact Pattaya cannot survive.

Pattaya had 4.4. Million foreign tourists in 2008 which rose to an amazing 9.4 million last year.

So last year on average a staggering 25753 NEW tourists arrived in Pattaya EVERY day. That’s over a quarter of a million tourists arriving every 10 days! You don’t need to be a brain surgeon to work out that this sort of shortfall cannot continue!

The powers that be are between a rock and a hard place but will have to do something soon other than just letting in Elite Card holders.

As a regular long term tourist I’m pissed that I can’t return to Pattaya at the moment but expats living there should be even more worried about their future in what was once a vibrant and busy city.

On your second point about quiet roads the newscasts here, on the other thread, reported jam packed motorways and roads in Pattaya....media hype?

Tourist Figures here ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand