Thais don't want foreign tourists yet - poll says

Anything and everything about Thailand
bkkguy

Re: Thais don't want foreign tourists yet - poll says

Post by bkkguy »

gerefan wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:29 am If the residents of Pattaya, most of which have been laid off, were asked I bet they would vote overwhelmingly for the return of foreigners.
but are these the people best placed to advise the Thai government on ongoing management of covid-19 in Thailand?

are these people familiar with the cases of Thai nationals and others who have entered Thailand recently who have arrived "virus free" and "symptom free" but still tested positive after a few days, fortunately still in quarantine?

are these people familiar with the developments in for example Greece after opening up tourism, of the "wack-a-mole" strategy in the UK to cope with new outbreaks, or in the US where many areas are re-introducing lockdowns after relaxing rules too soon, or the disturbing situation in Australia now after failures in managing quarantine and other hotspots that have developed in Victoria and are now spreading to other states

are these people familiar with the latest research on how reliable different types of tests are in the first few days of a person being infected, how meaningless a "covid-free" certificate may actually be, or how infectious asymptomatic patients are, or even the economic consequences of a second wave of significant infections in Thailand?

perhaps a better response from the Thai government would be a better response to the social issues of a failed tourist industry while looking to slowly re-build a more sustainable level of tourism without giving into the short-term begging from places like Pattaya and the TAT etc to re-open the borders for tourism
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Jun

Post by Jun »

When polled, I doubt your average resident considers the latest Covid statistics in every country before giving an answer.

Ultimately, it's down to the government to make the decision. When they decide to let tourists in from low risk countries, they just need to explain the reasoning clearly, so the population understand the reasons and the rational ones understand the logic.
gera

Post by gera »

Interesting article today in BKK post. A Egyptian entered Thailand through Utapao without quarantine. Walked around a lot and tested positive for the virus. The story shows that usual short-term tourism is dead on arrival (pun intended). As I mentioned in my previous post, Thailand should concentrate efforts on luring more retirees and wealthy long-term visitors like the ones who own property in Thailand or have the elite card. If number of such arrivals is limited, they can be handled through quarantine and tests no matter where they are coming from. If pandemic continues for a prolonged period of time , it could lead to a profound worldwide crisis with unforseen consequences. Countries better start getting smart fast or things can easily get out of control.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... d-covid-19
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

In my opinion, what Thailand ought to do to help the unemployed would be to provide employment - through projects similar to Franklin Roosevelt's "New Deal".

In Pattaya there is no shortage of necessary projects such as working on the infrastructure, working on the reservoirs, road improvement, etc.

As for Thailand's policy concerning letting foreign tourists come in, it is difficult or me to be objective about it. Since I live here I don't have to worry about how to get to Thailand, how to return home, quarantines, or anything of the sort. I can only say, from where I sit Thailand's efforts to curtail Covid-19 are working, and working well.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

gera wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:25 am Thailand should concentrate efforts on luring more retirees and wealthy long-term visitors like the ones who own property in Thailand or have the elite card.
I don’t think, even if all of the 2149 Elite cards holders arrived at once, that would make much difference!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:40 am I don’t think, even if all of the 2149 Elite cards holders arrived at once, that would make much difference!
Maybe just a quicker trip to their quarantine hotel . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:20 am In my opinion, what Thailand ought to do to help the unemployed would be to provide employment - through projects similar to Franklin Roosevelt's "New Deal".
The Thai government is not doing it, but a program has been initiated via a charity NGO in Bangkok. Many more such projects would be very helpful, especially in Pattaya, to help these people earn a living.

This is the kind of work I'd like to see NGOs doing instead of worrying about trying to impose prudish sex regulations in the bars.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Charity Hires Homeless of Bangkok to Keep City Clean

By Khaosod English

July 13, 2020

BANGKOK — On Tuesday, dozens of homeless people will roll up their sleeves and get paid by cleaning the streets of Bangkok, thanks to an initiative funded by donations.

The Mirror Foundation’s “Hire Me” program said it will hire elderly homeless people to clean public spaces and help them earn money through the charity. The project aims to organize around one cleaning job a week. Participants will be paid 400 baht in exchange for four to five hours of work.

“Many of these people are older than 50, which is past the age that factories or other workspaces will take on,” project coordinator Benjamas Pangam said. “The 400 baht may not help much, but it will help them to buy some necessities, pay their bus fare, or allow them to get a shower.”

There are currently 38 homeless people in the program, and their first project is to clean the skywalk around the Victory Monument starting at 2pm on Tuesday. The Mirror Foundation is an NGO that assists city dwellers in need.

Benjamas said many of the homeless people were driven to the streets by family problems and economic hardship.

Not everyone can apply for the program. Participants do not include the many homeless people who have psychiatric disorders; they are encouraged to undergo treatment instead.

Those interested in hiring the group for other works can contact the Mirror Foundation at 091-046-8598, or donate to the project to their Siam Commercial Bank account no. 202-2-58289-4.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/202 ... ity-clean/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Folks, if the Thai powers-that-be accept the findings of this poll as genuine and truly representative of the Thai people, then I'm afraid it's going to be much tougher and much longer before you will be allowed to enter Thailand.

While it is nowhere near as bad for farang who already live in Thailand - no comparison - and I'm certainly not expecting anyone to dig out their crying towels for us, we face restrictions too, to some degree. If we leave Thailand for any reason, we're in the same boat you're in regarding trying to get back in.

Also, if there is a second outbreak and a recurrence of lockdowns, if we happen to be out of town when that is imposed, we could face a very difficult time just trying to return to our residences.

I'm sure you will shed tears for the plight of farang living in Thailand, thinking about us trying to console ourselves in the go-go bars . . .

95% say 'no foreigners' to prevent 2nd Covid wave: Poll

Most expect second wave, second lockdown

19 Jul 2020

A vast majority of Thais -- 94.51% -- say foreigners should be barred from entering the country to prevent a second wave of the Covid-19 spread, according to an opinion survey by the Suan Dusit Rajabhat University or Suan Dusit Poll.

The poll was carried out online on July 14-18 on 1,459 people throughout the country to gauge their reactions to the cases of an Egyptian soldier and a Sudanese girl found to be infected with Covid-19 after they were allowed to enter the country.

Asked how they felt after hearing about the two cases, 52.23% of respondents said they were very worried; 39.68% fairly worried; 6.58% slightly worried; and 1.51% not worried at all.

Asked to mention "five things" that would worry them if there were a new wave of the Covid-19 spread, with each respondent allowed to give more than one answer, 95.89% cited the degree to which the disease spread; 94.45% unemployment; 92.05% a shutdown of businesses; 84.17% their children's schooling; and 84.17% another lockdown announcement.

A large majority, 73.82%, thought the chance that Thailand would announce a second lockdown was high while 26.18% said this was unlikely.

Asked to suggest ways of preventing a new wave of the pandemic, 94.51% said foreigners should definitely not be allowed to enter Thailand; 86.41% said the process of screening and quarantine of people returning from abroad must be stringent; 83.80% said people must wear face masks while outdoors and frequently wash their hands; 81.40% said people must be given correct and clear information about the virus; and 76.73% said people should be given free testing for Covid-19.

Asked what the government should do to ease the people's concerns about the novel coronavirus, 47.38% said the screening and quarantine process must be made more stringent, without exemptions for "privileged" people; 33.43% said punishments should be imposed on those who violate the ban on foreigners entering Thailand; and 23.20% said the government must quickly solve coronavirus-related problems that could affect the people.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -wave-poll
Jun

Post by Jun »

I suspect there's a lot of irrational fear and very little consideration of probabilities when people answer the poll questions.

I bet that, of that 94.51%, quite a few will be riding motorcycles without helmets, or not wearing seatbelts. With almost no Covid, or even (say) 10x previous Thai peak levels of Covid, the probability of Thais dying in a road traffic accident will be way higher than from Covid.

Also, are the same people taking all reasonable care with still water etc to prevent the spread of mosquito borne diseases, such as dengue ?
Do they want immediate action taken to get the most badly polluting diesel vehicles off the road to cut air pollution ?

No, it's just the newest and highest profile way of dying that's capturing their attention.

Of course, if the stats are reliable, it seems Thailand has done a very good job with Covid.

However, previously, tourism was 20% of the economy and eventually someone will compare the effects of a sustained 20% loss of GDP v the rather low Covid risk, if they are selective about countries from which tourists are permitted to enter. Then, once they have concluded that it's necessary to restart tourism, the government will need to start shaping public opinion by explaining the risks.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:57 pm once they have concluded that it's necessary to restart tourism, the government will need to start shaping public opinion by explaining the risks.
Do you really believe that has much of a chance of happening? Do you see anything to indicate it will? What you say makes sense, but when you consider Thai logic I think the reality is it is only wishful thinking. That is why I don't believe for a second it will happen that way.

All of us want to see gay farang tourists returning to Thailand. That will happen, but I am convinced it is going to be a very long time before it happens. And if insurance, health certificates, quarantines, much more expensive air fares, etc. are all part of the equation and part of the expense, I wonder how many farang will even want to return under such circumstances. If all of that finally disappears, there is a chance, but until then . . .

Again, I consider where gay farang tourist numbers were before anyone ever heard of Covid-19, and it was a serious problem even then. Bars were closing. For me, Sunee plaza even then was a dark morgue even then with a few points of light here and there.

The only way I can see that gay tourism, at least in Pattaya, has even a prayer of surviving and gay farang return in droves the way it was years ago, will be if more go-go bars open, drink prices drop, off fees drop to levels where they were 15 years ago, hotels offer much less expensive rooms, and most important of all - the powers-that-be cease regulating bar hours and prudish rules. So far, I see nothing to indicate any of that will happen.

I sincerely hope I am absolutely wrong, but at least for the foreseeable future I am pessimistic. I wish I wasn't.