Traveling to Thailand - Mission Impossible

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Traveling to Thailand - Mission Impossible

Post by Jun »

I'm not sure which countries Gerefan refers to, but I've certainly seen exaggeration of the problem by the UK media, typically with a misleading headline.

One Twitter entry by a UK newspaper yesterday said "the number of daily cases doubled in a week". The number of UK cases certainly hadn't doubled in a week, but since we had gone from flat lining total numbers to a very modest increase in total numbers, the daily INCREASE obviously could double, from a very low level.

That particular case was so misleading, they had to edit it.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:40 pm Why do you believe the media exaggerates the problem?
As well as publishing “stories” that are known lies, the media sensationalises and exaggerates everything in order to sell more newspapers, get larger TV audiences, and thus generate more advertising revenue. Ask any star or Royal personality.

Covid is no exception to this rule as Jun has pointed out.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:15 pm publishing “stories” that are known lies
I see. Maybe they are graduates from the Donald Trump School of Journalism . . .
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:21 pm
gerefan wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:15 pm publishing “stories” that are known lies
I see. Maybe they are graduates from the Donald Trump School of Journalism . . .
They probably taught the Trump School of Journalism everything they know!
Jun

Post by Jun »

Distorted reporting is another area in which newspapers specialize.

Typically an article might be written with the intention that anyone not reading the article very carefully might come away with an incorrect understanding of the topic, that suits the agenda of the newspaper.

I would quote examples, but we're drifting a little off topic.

When we can all travel to Thailand again is an interesting topic for those of us not there at present. Even if newsflow is rather quiet on that at present.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Jun wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:44 pm
When we can all travel to Thailand again is an interesting topic for those of us not there at present. Even if newsflow is rather quiet on that at present.
The way they over reacted to the one Egyptian soldier found to have Covid, on return home, I don’t think any workable solution will be forthcoming soon, if ever.

And as it’s Thailand nothing was ever going to be easy.

Regrettably I’m beginning to look elsewhere for my November 90 day trip to escape the UK winter.
Jun

Post by Jun »

It seems we have the same objective of escaping the UK winter. I'm looking for an 89 day trip starting in December.

I'm hoping there will be an outbreak of common sense in Thailand before then. Currently, I'm not looking anywhere on the assumption that there are no flights, no hotels and no entry to any of the countries I want to go to. If things don't start to change in September & October, I'm going to start looking for alternatives.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:20 pm I don’t think any workable solution will be forthcoming soon, if ever.
The "if ever" part is starting to seem much more likely than the "forthcoming soon" part. One diplomat complying with all of Thailand's procedures, testing Covid-19 free before boarding his flight and remaining in Suvarnabhumi airport upon arrival until test results there also showed negative for the virus, was still refused entry to her designated quarantine site.

See: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... tine-condo and https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391485

If that can happen to a diplomat, what guarantee is there that farang tourists won't have to endure similar experiences? In my opinion, you would have to want to come to Thailand very badly to risk something like that happening.

If it were me, unless and until these potential problems, along with having to be quarantined, no longer exist, foreign travel to anywhere would be out of the question, at least for the remainder of this year and well into next year. And there is still the risk that a second major outbreak could occur, stranding me wherever I happen to be if borders close again. And for sure I would not want to find myself stuck in a room somewhere if lockdowns and curfews happen again. None of this would be a risk I'd want to take and just being nervous about possibilities and what to expect would be enough to put a damper on my holiday, if it doesn't ruin my holiday entirely. For me, it would be domestic travel or don't try to travel at all.

Of course that's easy for me to say considering that I live where most reading this board want to go, but buying a new wardrobe and packing my luggage for a trip to Thailand would not be among my plans for the foreseeable future.

Some seem to think Thailand and its people are overreacting and creating a needless brouhaha. I don't know. But I do know if you are not already in Thailand, you won't be in Thailand any time as soon as you may be hoping. But if you do manage to somehow make it to Thailand, don't forget to bring your face mask . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

gerefan wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:20 pm Regrettably I’m beginning to look elsewhere for my November 90 day trip to escape the UK winter.
What I forgot to say is, if you identify an alternative destination with reasonable entry requirements, it would be interesting to read about it.

As far as I know, alternatives like Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam, The Philippines & Bali have some kind of restrictions in place. For instance, 14 day quarantine in Vietnam.
I believe Bali has the wettest month of the year in December, which has so far put me off going there during the UK winter.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Even those farang who are allowed to return to Thailand are having a lot of problems trying to do it, as illustrated in this article. Having all the proper paperwork does not guarantee being able to get to Thailand and does not prevent having to go through all kinds of obstacles in the attempt.

Forced to take the long way home

Foreigners recount their journey back to Thailand as borders begin to reopen

by Thana Boonlert

27 Jul 2020

After spending months stranded abroad due to Covid-19 lockdowns, some foreign nationals with Thai work permits have finally managed to return.

Shane Goodhew, an admissions manager at a drug rehabilitation centre in Chiang Mai, was one of them. He was actually in Australia for a one-week trip to celebrate his mother's birthday in March, when Canberra requested Australian nationals overseas to return as the coronavirus situation was starting to escalate.

"At the time, it was a little bit scary because of the amount of [conflicting] information on the virus. I decided to follow [Canberra's] directions," he said.

So Mr Goodhew flew back to Thailand to pack his stuff and say goodbye to his girlfriend, before returning to Australia. "I thought it would only be one or two months before I get to return," he said.

Unfortunately, the government suspended international flights in April to prevent the spread of Covid-19. It wasn't until May 28 that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced re-entry procedures for foreign nationals who have work permits or who have been granted permission to work here.

They are required to obtain certificates of entry (COE) and other documents, including fit-to-fly certificates and health insurance. Upon arrival, they must undergo 14-day quarantine at their own expense.

Mr Goodhew said he contacted the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra when the situation began to improve in May.

"They helped me a lot. I understood that their first priority was to repatriate Thai nationals. I was patient and waited for the right time. When it came, I asked and they sent me an email with all the information," he said.

Unfortunately, he did not manage to return because the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand decided to ban international airlines from entering the country until July 1.

However, Mr Goodhew managed to get on a repatriation flight on July 19. He is now in alternative state quarantine (ASQ). A 15-night stay in ASQ costs between 30,000-104,000 baht, depending on the level of accommodation. It includes three meals per day and two Covid-19 tests.

"I was happy to meet the lady who helped me arrange my flight and I am grateful for what [the embassy staff] did for me," he said. "Have faith in the process. Be kind and respectful. It will all work out."

Family reunion

Meanwhile, Chris Owen, who runs a motorcycle rental business in Prachuap Khiri Khan, was away on business in the United Kingdom when the lockdown came into force. It was not until late May that he could apply for a certificate of entry.

Unfortunately, he sorted out the paperwork and flew from Aberdeen to London only to find that his first flight had been cancelled. "No hotels were open and there were no flights back to Aberdeen. I had to hire a car at Heathrow and drive back," he said.

Mr Owen finally managed to board a repatriation flight on July 15 with the help of the Royal Thai Embassy in London. He said it was the greatest feeling to stand on Thai soil again.

"You have to keep pushing and pushing. Never give up. I have two young daughters here. They are the reason why I had to come home," he said.

He expressed concern about the availability of ASQ facilities. According to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, there are enough facilities to accommodate 200 incoming foreign nationals per day.

'Stick to your guns'

Another foreigner, who asked for anonymity, said he was teaching at an international school in Cambodia when he received an offer to work in Chiang Mai, where he had lived for four years. He planned to fly into Chiang Mai from Phnom Penh at the start of this month, as his contract ended in June.

However, he was forced to rethink his plans as there were no flights due to the pandemic.

"I decided to travel overland from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap on July 15. The next morning, I took a taxi to the border at Poi Pet. The immigration officers were rude and aggressive -- they didn't believe that I could enter Thailand," he said.

He showed them documents and they reluctantly stamped him out of the country. When he went to the bridge, the guard insisted that he should return.

"Luckily, I persisted until he let me 'go and try'. I can't return anyway as I have cancelled my lease and quit my job," he said.

Upon arriving on July 16, he went to an ASQ and has not left his room since. He said he felt happy to be home.

"[To those hoping to return,] I would say be patient and resolute. Be cool and rational, but stick to your guns," he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... g-way-home