Vaccine Update

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Vaccine Update

Post by Jun »

firecat69 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:38 am
I apologize if you thought my post was aimed at you .
Sorry, no need for an apology.

One of the reasons why I'm optimistic regarding a vaccine is that there are multiple vaccine programmes in different countries. That's got to increase the odds of a result.
All the political leaders need to do is to ensure the laws permit & encourage acceleration of validation programmes, without unreasonable risks.
So if that means much larger trial sizes than normal, deliberately infecting volunteers who have had the vaccine (starting with the lower risk groups) and so on, then do it.
For the avoidance of doubt, if I had antibodies from a vaccine, I would have no problems personally volunteering for exposure to the virus.

Jun

Post by Jun »

An overview of different vaccine types (general):
https://www.niaid.nih.gov/research/vaccine-types

gera

Post by gera »

What many people do not understand is that the situation with this virus is dire. Obviously governments do not want to spread panic and I do not want to sound as doom and gloom but it is possible that neither vaccine nor antibody treatment will work. The development of specific antivirals will take a while. And, yes, the so-called herd immunity may be a dream in this case. With antibody treatment we will have first results within a month or two
(Regeneron, Eli Lilly). The best way to deal with this virus is to prevent spreading it. And the Trump government activities in this respect borderline criminal.
See, for example,
https://seekingalpha.com/article/435479 ... pportunity

Jun

Post by Jun »

gera wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:46 am
What many people do not understand is that the situation with this virus is dire. Obviously governments do not want to spread panic and I do not want to sound as doom and gloom but it is possible that neither vaccine nor antibody treatment will work.
We know this.

Jun

Post by Jun »

NY Times vaccine development tracker. Can be read for free, although registration may be needed.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... acker.html

Jun

Post by Jun »

I'm not sure what to make of a Chinese vaccine approval for military use. Guinea pigs ?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2400DZ

Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

The USA has bought up nearly all the world's supply of Remdezivir, one of the two drugs presently to help with the care of hospitalised Covid patients.
U.K. NHS predicts that it won't be able to get any more till October.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Beximco have launched a generic Remdesivir. Whether it complies with western patents or not, if the Gilead version is not available, using the generic one seems fair in the circumstances.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thailand set to begin human trials on Covid-19 vaccine in October, volunteers being selected in August and September

By Adam Judd

13 July 2020

The Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University has been successful in testing the COVID-19 vaccine on monkeys and is going to begin human trials.

Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation (MHESI) Suvit Maesincee, said today he was informed by the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, and the National Research Council of Thailand of promising results in an MRNA vaccine trial for COVID-19 on monkeys, carried out by the National Primate Research Center of Thailand.

The result shows high effectiveness in every monkey without any negative side effects. Two weeks since the second injection on the 22nd of June, researchers have now taken the monkeys’ blood samples and found a neutralizing antibody in every sample, described as such a satisfying finding. The next step will be a human trial which will begin this October.

The research center will be looking for volunteers for the human trial between August and September and will inject the first doses in October.

The human trial will be conducted in three phases and if it shows promising results, mass production of the vaccine and vaccination registration will be undertaken. The authority will also exchange aspects of its technology with foreign countries.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/07/13/t ... september/

Jun

Post by Jun »

Seems like some news on the Oxford vaccine is due this week. I guess this is leaked information, rather than speculation, but may be wrong.

For those not familiar with the UK, ITV were the second UK broadcaster to be established after the BBC, decades ago.
Peston is one of their highest profile journalists, known for long rambling questions.

Robert Peston: "I am hearing there will be positive news soon (perhaps tomorrow) on initial trials of the Oxford Covid-19 vaccine that is backed by AstraZeneca and supported by tens of millions of pounds of government money.
The first data is due be published in the Lancet.
Apparently the vaccine is generating the kind of antibody and T-cell (killer cell) response that the researchers would hope to see.

That said, the efficacy will only be properly established in the large phase III programme that is under way in the viral epicentre of Brazil, to deliver a large database that assesses safety as well as efficacy.
One source told me: “An important point to keep in mind is that there are two dimensions to the immune response: antibodies and T-cells..
“Everybody is focussed on antibodies but there is a growing body of evidence suggesting that the T-cells response is important in the defence against coronavirus.
As I understand, not all of the many vaccines under development across the world increase both antibodies and T-cells. But the Oxford vaccine looks as though it has this twin effect.
It remains relatively early days: No effective vaccine has ever been developed as rapidly as is being attempted for Covid-19. And there could still be disappointment and failure.
If the Oxford vaccine is proven effective, it could go into mass production as early as September."

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-07-15/pos ... ert-peston