The Future of Soi 4 Silom?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

The Future of Soi 4 Silom?

Post by Trongpai »

Stickman's June 14th weekly column had a long interesting interview with "The Curator" of the Patpong Museum and he had this to say about Silom Soi 4 and the future of gay entertainment in Bangkok:
I hadn’t heard these latest rumours about soi 4 shutting. Can you share anything there?

I have had the chance to sit down with one of the large entertainment operators in this area who has been in business for 40 years and is well-connected, to discuss his group’s vision, their moves, a post-Covid environment and so forth. What transpired in regards to soi 4 is a behind the scenes “war” between two liquor giants, both competing for the footprint in this area and that the developer who purchased Soi Twilight on Suriwong Road also made arrangements for soi 4 and that it’s a done deal. Just a matter to set a convenient moment in time for both, the family that still lives on the plot and the developer to let the leases expire and start the construction. The buildings on Soi Twilight are already demolished and construction will start soon. Given the rather modest size of these developments, compared to the mega construction at “One Bangkok” and “Central Park”, things can happen fast and are easily financeable for these tycoons. By the way, the same thing is to happen on Silom Soi 2/1.
More at:
https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly- ... s-patpong/

But, Balcony is reopening 15 June. From their new letter:
Dear Balcony Member,

It seems such a long time since we closed on March 18th; three months; but from Monday 15th June we’re back in a limited and slightly changed format.

We are opening as a restaurant which serves alcohol so you will be able to enjoy the atmosphere of The Balcony from Monday. But social distancing will apply; no hugging or kissing people you have not seen for 3 months; you will have your temperature taken and have to sign in with your name and phone number or use one of those QR things on your smart phone – just like you do in Foodland. Also, there will be alcohol gel available and waiters will wear face masks at all times.

We can stay open until 02.00 in the morning but alcoholic drinks cease at Midnight, so you will have to drink something more wholesome after then.
Also Babylon is reopening July 1 with a lot or restrictions. Rumors were it would not reopen: see their web page
http://www.babylonbangkok.com/
Gaybutton

Re: The Future of Soi 4 Silom?

Post by Gaybutton »

Welcome to the new normal. I hope the bars, saunas, etc. will survive, but speaking only for myself and fully understanding that these venues don't have any choice other then to operate this way or not reopen at all, under these circumstances and restrictions I can't see much of a reason to go to any of these. For what? Having virtually every move I make restricted and regulated is not my idea of an enjoyable way to spend my time.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Some Silom Soi 4 bars opening today as licensed restaurants. Balcony, Connections etc.
Alcohol can be served till midnight.
Social distancing must be maintained.
Can stay open till 02:00 if they want to.
Give them a chance.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

As an incentive to go out many restaurants and hotels are offering exceptional discounts. We went to Sui Sian, a Chinese restaurant in Landmark, Suk., Bangkok and got a 10% member discount on top of a 20% general discount. I see on Agoda one of my favorite Pattaya hotels, Siam@Siam, is going for 950B plugging in July 12-14. The rack rate for that hotel is 3,200 and getting anything under 2000B is a very unusual.

I though it was a bit of over kill on sanitation at Sui Sian. The waiter were in hazmet suits and served the dishes at the table on a one meter long pole with a flat end. Then we had to place the empties on the pole thing as the waiter stood 2 meter away! The utensils and glasses were all sealed in plastic with the word autoclave on the outside. Hard to open too!