Vaccine Update

Post by Jun »

AstraZeneca PLC AstraZeneca advances response to COVID-19 outbreak
RNS Number : 5972N
AstraZeneca PLC
21 May 2020

This announcement contains inside information
21 May 2020 07:00 BST
AstraZeneca advances response to global COVID-19 challenge as it receives first commitments for Oxford's potential new vaccine
Company working on a number of agreements in parallel to ensure broad and equitable supply of the vaccine throughout the world at no profit during the pandemic
First agreements to supply at least 400 million doses; Company has total capacity sourced for one billion doses through 2020 and into 2021; continues to increase capacity further
More than $1bn US BARDA investment to support development and production of the vaccine
AstraZeneca is advancing its ongoing response to address the unprecedented challenges of COVID-19, collaborating with a number of countries and multilateral organisations to make the University of Oxford's vaccine widely accessible around the world in an equitable manner.
The Company has concluded the first agreements for at least 400 million doses and has secured total manufacturing capacity for one billion doses so far and will begin first deliveries in September 2020. AstraZeneca aims to conclude further agreements supported by several parallel supply chains, which will expand capacity further over the next months to ensure the delivery of a globally accessible vaccine.
AstraZeneca today received support of more than $1bn from the US Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) for the development, production and delivery of the vaccine, starting in the fall. The development programme includes a Phase III clinical trial with 30,000 participants and a paediatric trial.
In addition, the Company is engaging with international organisations such as the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), Gavi the Vaccine Alliance and the World Health Organisation (WHO), for the fair allocation and distribution of the vaccine around the world. AstraZeneca is also in discussions with governments around the world to increase access. Furthermore, AstraZeneca is in discussions with the Serum Institute of India and other potential partners to increase production and distribution.
AstraZeneca recently joined forces with the UK Government to support Oxford University's vaccine and has progressed rapidly in its efforts to expand access around the world. The Company will supply the UK starting in September and is thankful for the Government's commitment and overall work on vaccines.
Pascal Soriot, Chief Executive Officer, said: "This pandemic is a global tragedy and it is a challenge for all of humanity. We need to defeat the virus together or it will continue to inflict huge personal suffering and leave long-lasting economic and social scars in every country around the world. We are so proud to be collaborating with Oxford University to turn their ground-breaking work into a medicine that can be produced on a global scale. We would like to thank the US and UK governments for their substantial support to accelerate the development and production of the vaccine. We will do everything in our power to make this vaccine quickly and widely available."
AstraZeneca has now finalised its licence agreement with Oxford University for the recombinant adenovirus vaccine. The licensing of the vaccine, formerly ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 and now known as AZD1222, follows the recent global development and distribution agreement with the University's Jenner Institute and the Oxford Vaccine Group. AstraZeneca has also agreed to support the establishment of a joint research centre at Oxford University for pandemic preparedness research.

A Phase I/II clinical trial of AZD1222 began last month to assess safety, immunogenicity and efficacy in over 1,000 healthy volunteers aged 18 to 55 years across several trial centres in southern England. Data from the trial is expected shortly which, if positive, would lead to late-stage trials in a number of countries. AstraZeneca recognises that the vaccine may not work but is committed to progressing the clinical program with speed and scaling up manufacturing at risk.
The Company's comprehensive pandemic response also includes rapid mobilisation of AstraZeneca's global research efforts to discover novel coronavirus-neutralising antibodies to prevent and treat progression of the COVID-19 disease, with the aim of reaching clinical trials in the next three to five months. Additionally, the Company has quickly moved into testing of new and existing medicines to treat the infection, including CALAVI and ACCORD trials underway for Calquence (acalabrutinib) and DARE-19 trial for Farxiga (dapagliflozin) in COVID-19 patients.

Financial considerations
Today's announcement is not anticipated to have any significant impact on the Company's financial guidance for 2020; expenses to progress the vaccine are anticipated to be offset by funding by governments.

AZD1222
ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, now known as AZD1222 , was developed by Oxford University's Jenner Institute, working with the Oxford Vaccine Group. It uses a replication-deficient chimpanzee viral vector based on a weakened version of a common cold (adenovirus) virus that causes infections in chimpanzees and contains the genetic material of SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. After vaccination, the surface spike protein is produced, priming the immune system to attack COVID-19 if it later infects the body .
The recombinant adenovirus vector (ChAdOx1) was chosen to generate a strong immune response from a single dose and it is not replicating, so cannot cause an ongoing infection in the vaccinated individual. Vaccines made from the ChAdOx1 virus have been given to more than 320 people to date and have been shown to be safe and well tolerated, although they can cause temporary side effects such as a temperature, influenza-like symptoms, headache or a sore arm.

Gaybutton

Re: Vaccine Update

Post by Gaybutton »

As many of you know, I had locked this topic. After some communications with Jun, I have reopened it. I left the original post intact and deleted others that followed.

I now publicly apologize to Jun. I misinterpreted his intent.

Take it from here, folks.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Phase2 & 3 trials are being organised for this "Oxford" vaccine. Or, at least the preparation work is being done.
Despite the increased number of test areas, I'm still outside them all.
It looks rather like they have picked areas which have had a significant number of Covid cases.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-05-22-oxf ... man-trials#

The tests on monkeys show some benefit in preventing pneumonia and damage to the lungs.
Source: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 3.093195v1

Also, Thailand is testing a vaccine on monkeys: https://gu.com/p/dqzj5/sbl

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

(Thailand's) Health chiefs eye human trials of vaccine this year

May 24, 2020

The government is hoping to start testing its locally manufactured Covid-19 vaccine on humans before the end of the year, according to Suvit Maesincee, Minister of Higher Education Science Research and Innovation.

"If our vaccine trial on monkeys proves successful, we will start the human trial phase after August," Mr Suvit told the media on Saturday.

Thailand is testing several vaccines. This one involves the government, Chulalongkorn University's Centre of Excellence in Vaccine Research and Development, the National Vaccine Institute and the Department of Medical Sciences and the private sector.

He said a research team tested their mRNA vaccine on guinea pigs before moving on to monkeys, identified as long-tailed macaques, which share a similar genetic structure to humans.

The vaccine will continue to be trialled on monkeys for three months in the next phase of the process.

If all three tests are successful, the team will start the human trial phase, Mr Suvit said, noting the government could make the vaccine available next year.

"We are using mRNA technology, the newest method for developing vaccines, because the vaccine can be developed rapidly and small amounts can be used to run tests," he said.

Meanwhile, the government on Saturday reported three new Covid-19 cases.

It identified the carriers as an Italian living in Phuket and two Thais who had returned from abroad and were in state quarantine.

The three raised the national figure to 3,040 with no new deaths.

Panprapa Yongtrakul, assistant spokeswoman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, yesterday said the Italian was male, 49, and tested positive on Friday.

She said the other two were a 24-year-old student who studied in Egypt and a 43-year-old Thai national who worked at a spa in India.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -this-year

firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

My 2 cents is I don't listen to any of this vaccine BS unless it is from someone who has no financial incentive. People are getting rich on these tests by owning stock in the various companies that keep saying they can do what has never been done and create an effective and safe vaccine in months.

Just like you can be sure that Dump and his family own stock in the ridiculous drugs he spouts for .

Jun

Post by Jun »

firecat69 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:25 pm
My 2 cents is I don't listen to any of this vaccine BS unless it is from someone who has no financial incentive. People are getting rich on these tests by owning stock in the various companies that keep saying they can do what has never been done and create an effective and safe vaccine in months.
I don't own stocks in ANY vaccine makers and as a principle, my policy is to avoid "hot" investment themes. There must be over 100 companies working on vaccines. Also, I have zero sector expertise to pick the winner, probably about the same as most other members here.

Although it's not my style, if I WERE going to try ramping a stock, I would firstly pick some micro-cap & secondly go and find a forum stuffed full of investors as the audience. I'm hardly likely to move the price of the largest FTSE100 company by posting here.

My main reasons for following vaccine development are because I would like to have an idea when the situation might get back to normal and of course, a vaccine is one of the reasons why it might get back to normal.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:43 pm
I have zero sector expertise to pick the winner
I have less than that. I don't even understand what sector expertise is supposed to mean.

In any case, I just hope there will be a winner - and soon.

I also hope all these researchers working on Covid-19 will also start working on other deadly diseases with the same zeal.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Sector expertise kind of refers to the pharmaceutical business in this case. I've listened to a few company presentations and some of it's extremely complicated and I'd need to spend an awful lot of time to get a good grasp of this. So I wouldn't try to pick individual large cap companies to invest in for that sector, particularly when the large fund managers would probably have at least one analyst who has specialized in the sector.

There are numerous other sectors where it's much easier to understand their product.
e.g. Restaurant Sector. I know what a Pizza is & with effort, it's possible to figure out the business as well.

Even companies like Ford, Apple, Amazon etc & their products are much easier to understand than immunology.

Here's an example from a paper on Covid. Now this is more difficult to understand than a pizza & I'm not even going to bother.

"Specifically, one MP corresponds to 221 predicted HLA class II CD4+ T cell epitopes (Grifoni et al., 2020) covering all proteins in the viral genome, apart from the spike (S) antigen (CD4_R MP). The prediction strategy utilized is geared to capture ~50% of the total response (Dhanda et al., 2018; Paul et al., 2015) and was designed and validated to predict dominant epitopes independently of ethnicity and HLA polymorphism"

firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Jun wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:43 pm
I don't own stocks in ANY vaccine makers and as a principle, my policy is to avoid "hot" investment themes. There must be over 100 companies working on vaccines. Also, I have zero sector expertise to pick the winner, probably about the same as most other members here.
I apologize if you thought my post was aimed at you . It certainly was not. It was a general statement of all this pie in the sky BS that we will have a vaccine by the end of the year. And Santa Claus will put a million dollar check in all our stockings .

That's not to say that Trump and his minions may promote one of the vaccines as a success that he and his family have invested in. Would not surprise me. But whether our watch dog agencies can certify a drug as safe and able to protect a large % of the population. When pigs fly!

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:38 am
Trump and his minions may promote one of the vaccines as a success that he and his family have invested in. Would not surprise me.
It would surprise me if he doesn't. It also wouldn't surprise me if he tries to block any success from researchers if there's nothing in it for him. If more than one vaccine seems successful, the last people whose recommendations I would listen to would be Trump, Pence, or any other Trump ass kisser.