Jomtien hotels quarantine returning Thais

Anything and everything about Thailand
Finnseventy

Jomtien hotels quarantine returning Thais

Post by Finnseventy »

Reading the article below it seems that the Jomtien Palm Beach Hotel and the Ambassador Jomtien Hotel are being used to quarantine Thais returning from abroad.
Hopefully this won't result in an increase in Covid19 cases here :shock:
https://www.nationthailand.com/new ... eferral
Gaybutton

Re: Jomtien hotels quarantine returning Thais

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't see any problem about it. The hotels are being used to quarantine people who did not show any virus symptoms. They will be confined there 14 days and not allowed direct contact with anyone.

Considering the excellent job Thailand has done controlling the virus, along with the fact that now it has been 36 days since there were any new cases in Pattaya and 26 days since any new cases in the entire Chonburi province, along with all the mandatory precautions - and nearly everybody fully cooperating, I don't think there is anything to worry about.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

If true, that episode is appalling.

So 9 passengers were allowed to board the Eva Air flight from London, presumably all with a high fever. It’s unlikely they started the fever on the flight.
What the f**k is going on? Weren’t they even temperature checked at London?

It goes without saying that they could have infected a whole plane load of passengers.

I understand that currently all entering Thailand go into quarantine, but when they relax that rule this would entail all 264 passengers having to do 14 days unexpected quarantine.

No wonder the UK has got itself in such a shit state. It is well known in the UK that during this epidemic there were NO checks whatever at any airports for arriving passengers and no closing of the borders. This just illustrates the continuing ineptitude.

And this said by a Brit...
billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

Returning to Europe before the flights stopped:

CNX - BKK (overnight) - CDG (overnight) - MAN

Temperature checks at CNX and BKK but nothing in either Paris, which was a hot spot at the time, or Manchester. Idiotic.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

gerefan wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 pm No wonder the UK has got itself in such a shit state. It is well known in the UK that during this epidemic there were NO checks whatever at any airports for arriving passengers and no closing of the borders. This just illustrates the continuing ineptitude.
I agree. Hundreds of thousands of passengers have arrived at UK airports since the Covid-19 outbreak, all of whom were allowed immediate access to public transport and supermarkets. Our government does acknowledge that an isolation period following arrival would be beneficial to public safety and is working on the details as I type. A 14-day isolation period for UK arrivals should begin in June, if the exemptions have been finalised by then.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 pm This just illustrates the continuing ineptitude.
I wish I could understand why countries with high infection and death rates don't apply the same tactics being done in countries where there are very few infection rates and deaths.

In Thailand it might be inconvenient and unpleasant that people have to be quarantined, social distancing has to be enforced, face mask use has to be enforced, restrictions have to be enforced, a curfew has to be enforced, etc. - but the bottom line is these tactics are working.

If similar tactics were employed in other countries, I can't help but wonder how many people might not ever have become infected and how many might not have died.

Why on earth airports and airlines in some countries are treating this so irresponsibly goes beyond me. Airport employees, airline pilots, and cabin crews can become sick too. I can easily imagine a screenplay for the next "Airport" movie.

I am certainly glad I am in Thailand, where the current odds of becoming a victim of Covid-19 are close to zero. I wonder how many other countries can say the same. I, for one, am happy to comply with all of these "new normals", hopefully most of them temporary, and feel quite safe from Covid-19, which at my age would be likely to kill me, rather than be living in places where a simple trip to a grocery store could easily become a death sentence.

Here is the latest in Thailand:

Zero new case for the fourth time in May

May 24, 2020

There were no new Covid-19 cases or related deaths over a 24-hour period, Dr Panprapa Yongtrakul, spokeswoman of the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration(CCSA), said on Sunday (May 24).

This is the fourth time this month that Thailand has reported zero cases.

The total number of Covid-19 patients remains at 3,040 since the outbreak.

Meanwhile, five people have fully recovered and returned home.

As of May 24, the total number of confirmed cases in the country stood at 3,040 -- 63 are under treatment, 2,921 have recovered and been discharged, and there have been 56 deaths.

Globally, the total number has passed 5.4 million confirmed cases and around 340,000 deaths.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388407