Restrictions to be lifted? Maybe not yet

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Restrictions to be lifted? Maybe not yet

Post by Gaybutton »

At the time of this post nothing specific for Pattaya has been announced.

Trongpai posted the liquor ban for Bangkok will still be in effect. ( See: https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic ... 63#p101263 ). My guess is that will be the same for all of Thailand, but again, other than for Bangkok there has been no announcements yet.

My guess, and I emphasize guess, is few, if any, restrictions are going to be lifted any time soon. Hopefully more details will come out before today is over.

Thailand Interior Ministry orders governors to continue controls during State of Emergency

By Pattaya Mail

April 30, 2020

After the government announced the extension of the State of Emergency for another month until 31st May, Permanent Secretary for the Interior Chatchai Phromlert, issued an urgent letter to provincial governors calling on them to continue enforcing measures and orders previously made.

The letter stated that enforcement should continue from 1st May, while provinces should wait for further policies from the Center for the COVID-19 Situation Administration before issuing any further announcements or orders to ensure a unified direction.

The National Office of Buddhism is asking all provinces to cancel or postpone religious activities celebrating Wisakha Bucha day on 6th May to prevent large gatherings.

Prime Minister’s Office Minister Tewan Liptapallop, said today faithful Buddhists are still allowed to engage in religious activities such as alms giving, merit making, and candlelight processions, however they must maintain a distance between one another for safety.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... ncy-297583
Gaybutton

Re: Restrictions to be lifted? Maybe not yet

Post by Gaybutton »

Sorry, folks - the liquor ban will remain in effect. No word on how long that will be. If you are in Thailand and have your own booze, you might want to stretch it out as long as you can.

There is also no permission for the bars to reopen, even if they serve only non-alcoholic beverages.

I don't see anything specific in these articles, but I do remember reading that when restaurants are allowed to reopen, if the alcohol ban is still in effect they will not be allowed to serve alcohol - not even a glass of wine.

As far as I can tell from reading the articles that have come out so far, virtually nothing that will help the tourist industry is going to be allowed to reopen yet.

It’s Official: Partial Business Reopening Set For May 3

By Khaosod English

April 30, 2020

A number of business venues will be allowed to reopen beginning this Sunday, the government announced Thursday.

Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the Center for the COVID-19 Situation Administration, said the businesses may be closed or suspended again if the number of coronavirus infections surge back; Thailand saw a single-digit increase in new cases again for the fourth consecutive day.

“If there are surges in the number of new cases in the next 14 days, we may need to review them,” Taweesin said. “It’s not only the duties of the public or private sectors, but it’s the responsibility of everyone.”

Venues set for reopening include markets, restaurants and street food vendors outside shopping malls, supermarkets, grocery stores, sport complexes, public parks, beauty salons, and pet shops.

The measure will be effective May 3. The ban on alcohol sales will remain in place.

He said provincial governors are allowed to adjust the measures accordingly in their province, but their restrictions must be either on par or more intense than the measures outlined by the government.

All of the reopened venues must also strictly adhere to social distancing and hygiene measures, he added.

Taweesin said seven new cases of infection were reported in Thailand on Thursday, a fourth consecutive day with less than 10 new coronavirus cases.

Four patients were found during an active case-finding operation in Phuket and Krabi provinces, while three patients were those who were put under state quarantine after their return from Malaysia, Taweesin added.

Thailand has reported 2,954 cumulative infection cases and 54 deaths so far. As of Thursday, 213 patients are being treated at hospitals, while 2,887 patients have recovered. The center reported no new fatalities today.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/202 ... for-may-3/

Booze Ban Extended Indefinitely to ‘Curb Coronavirus’

By Khaosod English

April 30, 2020

Ban on sales of alcoholic beverages remain in effect until further notice, the government said Thursday.

A nationwide ban on alcohol sales, which is supposed to expire today, will last until the government decides otherwise, interior affairs ministry perm-sec Chatchai Promlert said.

“Liquor is one of the factors that lead to the risk of infection,” Chatchai said. “It involves gathering of people, so as the prime minister has stated earlier, we will continue the ban until the government announces new measures on this matter.”

He also refuted the rumors that there will be a “grace period” for buying alcohol between May 1 to 2. Those two days are now covered under the renewed ban.

The ban on alcohol sales were initially enacted differently by individual provincial governors, but government officials today said the authorities in each provinces must act in accordance with the central government’s guidelines.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... ronavirus/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

At the time of this post, the following is the only article I have seen specific to Pattaya regarding easing restrictions:

Pattaya City Mayor says current checkpoints will go through May 4, end May 5

By Adam Judd

Thursday, 30 April 2020

The Pattaya City Mayor, Mr. Sonthaya Khunpluem, spoke with local news media in Pattaya today and stated that the checkpoints which close Pattaya City to the general public will run through May 4. The city is planned to be returned to normal access on May 5.

The Mayor told the press that the results of the checkpoints and proactive tests for the Covid19 Coronavirus have exceeded expectations but they wanted to keep the checkpoints through May 4, which would be roughly a full three weeks as originally planned.

Additionally, if no new cases of Covid-19 emerge before May 5 in Pattaya it will also be close to three weeks without a single new case in Pattaya City proper.

The Mayor also mentioned that Pattaya City was no longer considered a red, or high risk area and would be considered low risk, or white, when the checkpoints are scheduled to be lifted on May 5.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/04/30/p ... end-may-5/
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the latest about restrictions that will be lifted throughout Thailand. Bear in mind if there is a surge in virus cases the restrictions can be immediately reimposed:

First Covid restriction easing

More to follow if number of new cases are under 30 after 14 days

by Mongkol Bangprapa

30 Apr 2020

The government has allowed the reopening on Sunday of six types of businesses, such as markets and small eateries but not malls, in the first stage of relaxation of disease-control restrictions.

The relaxation applies nationwide and provincial governors may not ease restrictions in their provinces beyond what was announced, said Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration.

He also said the government had maintained the 10pm-4am curfew, restrictions on international travel and recommendations on working from home and minimising inter-provincial travel.

Dr Taweesilp said on Thursday that the first stage of the relaxation, effective on Sunday, covered six categories of activities:

* Fresh, flea, floating and community markets, as well as walking streets and vendors' stalls;
* Food, beverage, dessert and ice cream shops outside department stores, as well as food stalls, food trucks and hawkers;
* Retail and wholesale businesses (supermarkets, convenience stores, community shops and IT or telecom product shops, or grocery trucks);
* Recreational and sports businesses (park activities such as walking, tai chi, non-team and non-competitive sports such as tennis, shooting, archery, cycling and golfing at courses and driving ranges)
* Barbers and hair salons but only for hair washing, cutting and styling;
* Pet grooming shops and pet hotels

Dr Taweesilp said while the activities were allowed, operators had to implement disease-control measures such as cleaning, use of face masks for everyone, distancing and hand sanitisation.

If the daily new cases of coronavirus infection do not exceed 30 in 14 days after the reopening, more relaxation would come.

The government planned four stages of the relaxation, which will take two months for the full reopening of activities, provided the number of new cases is manageable.

But if new cases soar, the relaxation will be revoked, Dr Taweesilp said.

Crowded activities including concerts, football matches and boxing stadiums are set to reopen in the final stage of the relaxation.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ion-easing
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Buriram Province reopened today.

With the exception of the sports stadiums, bars and nightly entertainment venues, all other businesses appear to be open.

I have already visited the fitness center and swimming pool where I have a membership, and enjoyed breakfast at my favorite farang restaurant in Buriram City. I stopped by to say to a girl who works in a local massage parlor which has re-opened as well. All systems appear to be "Go".

Just for clarity: The Provinces are included in the decision making regarding business re-openings, but the government has full control of the restrictions covered in the National Emergency Decree (NED). The NED covers 3 control points: 1) Bans on Domestic & Int'l Flights, 2) l Bans on Inter-provincial travel, and 3) curfews. These 3 bans will apparently stay in effect in all provinces until June 1st , or possibly later as determined by the government.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:13 pm enjoyed breakfast at my favorite farang restaurant in Buriram City.
How are they handling social distancing? What do they actually do?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:43 pm How are they handling social distancing? What do they actually do?
Good question.

According to what the owner told me this morning, he's restricted from having more than two people sitting at any one table, and at no time can his place be more than half full (inside and/or outside). He also removed several of the tables he had before to provide more spacing. I actually thought the place looked nicer than before.

I couldn't see his kitchen staff, but the 2 waitresses I saw were wearing face masks the whole time I was there, as was the owner. I also had to show that "Healthy Sticker" before I could be seated and the waitress wrote my name in a logbook which apparently has to be maintained now.

Good spacing...I felt safe..and really nice to be able to talk to a farang again.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I put in the graphic rather than the full article because the full article is essentially a repeat of what we have already posted here.

If you wish to read the full article, see: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ase-sunday

traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

Dodger wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:19 pm enjoyed breakfast at my favorite farang restaurant in Buriram City.
If your restaurant is Jimmy's I also enjoy calling in there if we come over to visit Tops in Buriram as a change from our local Tops Surin.
Unfortunately no sticker for us so no visit to Buriram
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

traveller123 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:00 pm
.....Unfortunately no sticker for us so no visit to Buriram
Has Surin reopened as well?
Jun

Post by Jun »

From what I have seen on my travels, at some of the "farang friendly" restaurants & cafes in the provinces, there were so few customers that social distancing would be easy.