Farang news round up for Pattaya April 16 • By Barry Kenyon

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Farang news round up for Pattaya April 16 • By Barry Kenyon

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:18 am I'm glad you've decided you're an expert and can speak for everybody else's motivations.
Just for clarification:

I'm not speaking "for" everybody else's motivations, because everybody I've talked to about this over the years speaks freely about their own motivations. My opinion, which I voiced, was simply a reflection of those motivations

Also, my comments in this discussion, like all discussions I get involved with, are simply my opinions, nothing more, nothing less.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:34 pm I'm not speaking "for" everybody else's motivations
No? When you write things such as "most of the retired expats over here came for one reason, and one reason only, and that was to enjoy having sex with much younger Thai partners" how do you think that comes across?

If it's merely your opinion, then you should say so. "In my opinion most of the retired expats ......" Then it's clear what you mean.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

GB, aren't you nitpicking? Any post here placed without reference is a reflection of someone's opinion. Isn't it overkill to require a poster to explicitly state the obvious?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:18 pm No? When you write things such as "most of the retired expats over here came for one reason, and one reason only, and that was to enjoy having sex with much younger Thai partners" how do you think that comes across?
Apparently it didn't come across too well with you, and I'm sorry for that, but I prefer speaking freely and call things as I see them.

As far as your question: "How do I think that comes across"?. Believe me, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but let me answer that as openly as I can.

I think that most of the retired expats reading that would simply nod their heads in agreement. I also believe there is a small percentage who, for whatever reason, are in denial about this, who commonly get agitated and attempt to defocus when this subject comes up, and, last but not least, a small percentage of expats who retired here where the primary reasons for doing so had absolutely nothing to do with sexual motivations.

That's about as accurate as I can lay it out. This of course is just my opinion, but an opinion drawn from an abundance of factual observations.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

Dodger you have very narrow perceptions for everything all is black or white in your eyes and this is not the first time you're making unreliable claims in this forum.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:01 pm Isn't it overkill to require a poster to explicitly state the obvious?
No. Maybe the intent was obvious to you. It was not obvious to me.

Far too many times on these boards opinion posts are stated as if they are fact. I know a certain president who does things like that. If it's an opinion, then say so. I don't think that is asking too much. If that is nitpicking, then I'm going to nitpick.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:35 pm No. Maybe the intent was obvious to you. It was not obvious to me.
Well, if it wasn't obvious to you, then by all means,let me clarify: The statement that you're obviously very concerned about was my opinion. As stated earlier, my opinion on this subject is based on an abundance of factual observations, which you may, or may not, agree with. That's your opinion and prerogative.
Jun

Post by Jun »

To me it was fairly obvious that Dodger was expressing an opinion, rather than stating fact.

On the other hand I can think of another example where a member likes to "educate" us, but regularly posts fake news as facts (Natural gas buses & several other instances). I presume there is no rule against this at present.
That member doesn't seem to be harassed for it, but despite much higher quality input to the board, Dodger is getting criticized for something which is rather minor in comparison.

Incidentally, we get frequent comments from members who are unhappy with the number of Chinese tourists, Arab tourists, traffic etc in Pattaya. There are alternative resorts with less traffic, fewer Chinese, hardly any of the obnoxious Arabs and still a good range of facilities. Hua Hin is an example.
I don't know why retired people prefer Pattaya, but perhaps (IN MY OPINION) it's for the same reason I do -ie wide availability of lads (FACT). Or girls for the hetero people.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:15 pm Well, if it wasn't obvious to you, then by all means,let me clarify
That's what you should have done in the first place. Try using things like "in my opinion", "to me", "in my view", "I think", "I believe", "In my estimation", etc. Then there won't be any problem.

Now if nobody minds, let's get back to what Barry Kenyon had to say.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Frankly, I see nothing of note in his Barry’s latest piece.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"