Healthy Stickers

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Healthy Stickers

Post by Dodger »

Buriram Province just instituted a "Healthy Sticker" process which goes into effect this Friday (May 1st). The purpose of the sticker is to show that a person that resides in the province has been there longer than the minimum 14 day quarantine period, has not traveled outside the province, and is deemed to be healthy. Jai and I received our stickers yesterday from the village headman. They applied Jai's sticker to his ID card and mine on the first page of my passport.

Buriram was the first province to issue a Covid-19 block-out back and curfew in March, and will also be the first province to reopen the majority of its businesses which happens on Friday. That being said, it's possible that other provinces may follow suit. Starting Friday, only people with a sticker will be allowed to enter any of the stores or businesses in the province.

We like the idea, but if we were to leave the province our stickers would be taken at the first police road block, and if we returned to Buriram we would be forced into 14 day quarantine. It sounds tough, but this is the reason this province has been doing so well.

Looks like we won't be traveling back to Bang Saray any time soon.

See article here:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19 ... ting-may-1
gera

Re: Healthy Stickers

Post by gera »

There is no difference between Buriram and vast majority of other provinces in Thailand in terms of detected covid cases. The idea of stickers looks totally ridiculuous in light of reports that domestic flights are about to resume in Thailand. The last figure of nine cases per day seems to indicate that imposed restrictions in Thailand is an overkill. I suspect though that powers that be know that real numbers are nowhere close to official ones. Even with one official death in Buriram there should be at least hundred cases. And the number of deaths is unrealistic either.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

gera wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:34 pm
There is no difference between Buriram and vast majority of other provinces in Thailand in terms of detected Covid cases. The idea of stickers looks totally ridiculuous in light of reports that domestic flights are about to resume in Thailand.
Actually, your statement that "there is no difference between Buriram and vast majority of other provinces in Thailand in terms of detected Covid cases" is incorrect.

Based on Pareto Analysis (80/20 Rule): 80% of all Covid-19 (C-19) reported cases in Thailand are occurring in 20% of its Provinces.

As of 24 April:
2,931 Total Reported Cases in Thailand.
20% of Thailand's 76 Provinces account for over 80% of these reported cases.
Buriram, with 30 reported cases is not one of them.
Chonburi with 90 reported cases is one of them.

Note: That Buriram and Chonburi are two of the most populated provinces in Thailand, each having approx. 1,6 million people.

The fact that Buriram ranks as one of the largest provinces in terms of population, with a C-19 reported case level that is equal to, or less than, the majority of much smaller provinces, makes it significantly different in terms of C-19 progress tracking.

The purpose of the "Healthy Stickers" in Buriram is to cut down on the number of people entering the Province to help mitigate C-19 risk. Anyone entering the Province, regardless if it's by bus, car, rail air, or bicycle, will be quarantined for 14 days. This, in-and-by-itself, will drastically reduce the number of people entering the Province, which is the primary objective of the "Health Sticker".

I agree with your statement about the country-wide restrictions being overkill at this point, because looking at the numbers (and the trends), 80% of the Provinces should have these restrictions removed. It would make sense that the restrictions remain in effect for the 15 Provinces who are still reporting high numbers. Unfortunately, that would include Pattaya (Chonburi).

(see link below to see C-19 data by Province)

https://www.google.com/search?q=corona+ ... e&ie=UTF-8.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

I see that a headman or some such has been arrested for selling the stickers for 20 Baht each.
gera

Post by gera »

Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:02 pm Buriram, with 30 reported cases is not one of them.
Chonburi with 90 reported cases is one of them.
In my opinion, your comparison of Buriram with Chonburi is incorrect. Because Pattaya is a major center of international tourism and vast majority of cases in Pattaya have this source. Even without looking to formal statistics, I can tell you that cases are concentrated in BKK, Chiang Mai ,Phuket, Pattaya and deep South provinces. In case of deep South provinces vast majority of cases due to the active traffic with Malaysia. Excluding that , there is no difference between Buriram and the rest of Thailand.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

gera wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:09 pm .... there is no difference between Buriram and the rest of Thailand.
Heck, what the hell do I know...maybe you're right.

I'll get back to you on Friday after breakfast at Jimmy's Sport Cafe in downtown Buriram following a quick dip in the local Buriram swimming pool. You'll have to update me on what's going on in Chonburi, or for that fact, the rest of Thailand. Hopefully everything's the same.
Jun

Post by Jun »

gera wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:34 pmThere is no difference between Buriram and vast majority of other provinces in Thailand in terms of detected covid cases.
This is irrelevant.

What matters is which provinces travellers going to Buriram come from and what the infection rate is in those provinces.

For example:
Many provinces have long distance buses going to Bangkok under normal circumstances, indicating that's a popular destination.
I know Buriram is one of those provinces, as I caught a bus direct from the province to Bangkok last year.
I think we all agree Bangkok has more infections than Buriram, so it could make sense to monitor inbound travellers.

Think of a hub & spoke transport model.

Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:41 pmHeck, what the hell do I know...maybe you're right.
Look at the track record.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Dodger wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:03 pm They applied Jai's sticker to his ID card and mine on the first page of my passport.

...our stickers would be taken at the first police road block, and if we returned to Buriram we would be forced into 14 day quarantine.
That raises some questions:

There have been cases where travelers were refused boarding because they had stamps in their passport that were not from immigration (I remember Hello Kitty stamps and a stamp from Machu Picchu from the news). I can imagine similar problems with Healthy Sticker.

That means the sticker can be removed from the Thai ID (plastic) without trace, but how about passport (paper)? And after removing the sticker, it does not stick any more (like certain seals on electronic devices that break apart when you try to remove them), else there would be a selling or sharing of stickers?