Pattaya lockdown - Part 2 - beginning Tuesday, April 14

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Pattaya lockdown - Part 2 - beginning Tuesday, April 14

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:38 am The governor of the Chonburi province, Pattaya's province, has relaxed some of the rules. One that may particularly be helpful is:
Electronic stores, like computers and electronic devices as well as kitchen appliance stores may reopen. These areas in department stores like Big C may reopen.
I take that to mean Tuk Com can reopen as well. Of course with the lockdown restrictions, some of us will have problems just trying to get to some of these places.
Tuk Com closed today with the exception of the basement and Booths and Watson’s
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:33 pm Tuk Com closed today with the exception of the basement and Booths and Watson’s
Hopefully this was a temporary closure. It would be nice to see them opening again on, or shortly after, May 1st.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:33 pm Tuk Com closed today with the exception of the basement and Booths and Watson’s
Maybe most of the Tuk Com shops are not even aware yet they can reopen, assuming the rule relaxation applies to them. Also it is entirely possible they need time to inform their staff they can come back to work.

We'll see if they can reopen any time soon.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I have not seen any updates about the traffic with regard to the lockdown, so I'm assuming they're going to go ahead with the lockdown and checkpoints as previously posted, beginning 2:00pm today, Thursday, April 16.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:18 pm We'll see if they can reopen any time soon.
I spoke to a friend of mine that has a phone shop in Tuk Com last night. He told me they will reopen May 1.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Now it is Thursday, April 16 at 2:00pm. I see no news about any changes, so apparently the lockdown is now in effect.

We'll see how it goes.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

It's now scheduled to begin at 4:00 PM today...in 45 minutes.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:15 pm It's now scheduled to begin at 4:00 PM today...in 45 minutes.
The photos show less of a traffic jam problem, but for those of us on "The Dark Side" (anybody besides just me?), I hope we at least have access to Sukhumvit. I'd like to be able to go to Makro once in a while. With only 1 lane of thru traffic, if I venture out onto Sukhumvit it's going to be either very early or very late.

Here's the article:

Pattaya lockdown set for 4 p.m. Thursday after successful checkpoint test

By Theerarak Suthathiwong

April 16, 2020

Following their poorly planned, botched attempt to lock down the city, Pattaya officials on Wednesday actually tested their checkpoints to determine the impact on traffic.

Last week’s attempted lockdown was a classic case of Pattaya officials announcing a plan without thinking it through first. Traffic chaos quickly resulted when police, Pattaya and Banglamung officials shut down streets to check for identification cards and fevers.

It took a week, but a new plan was devised and on April 15 a dry run was staged to ensure the same problems would not reoccur.

Intended to go into operation today will be eight checkpoints along Sukhumvit Road entering the city at its north and south ends at a major intersections.

Ingress and egress lanes were clearly marked and, this time, traffic didn’t jam as badly.

With the checkpoints set up on Sukhumvit with the intent of screening entering downtown, Pattaya is making no effort to protect the “dark side”, or East Pattaya. While residents there consider themselves residents of Pattaya, the area east of Sukhumvit actually is not inside the legal city boundary and is governed by Nongprue Subdistrict.

So, for the intents of the lockdown, the many foreigners and Thais living on sois Nernplabwan, Khao Talo, Khao Noi, Nong Yai, Railway Road and other large residential streets will effectively be locked out of downtown, treated the same as travelers from Bangkok and other provinces.
Traffic moved much better the second time around.

Story and photos: https://www.pattayamail.com/coronavirus ... est-295756
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:41 pm I'd like to be able to go to Makro once in a while. With only 1 lane of thru traffic, if I venture out onto Sukhumvit it's going to be either very early or very late.
Of all the food stores in Pattaya, Makro is the least to be concerned with because they turn their lights on when the roosters start to crow. Makro (North & South PTY Branches) open at 6:00 AM. Even with the roadblocks, Sukhumvit should be clear sailing.

I'm not sure why you want to go to Makro "once in a while" during a City lockdown. Have you ever considered just stocking up a 2 week supply and calling it a day?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:36 pm
Gaybutton wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:41 pm I'd like to be able to go to Makro once in a while. With only 1 lane of thru traffic, if I venture out onto Sukhumvit it's going to be either very early or very late.
I'm not sure why you want to go to Makro"once in a while" during a City lockdown. Have you ever considered just stocking up a 2 week supply and calling it a day?
Some days ago I went to Makro on Sukhumvit, they had great prices on Australian beef, I stocked up on ribeye steaks, ground beef and bought a whole fillet mignon also bought a whole fresh salmon had them make steaks and fillets now I’m bored with the whole lot :!: