Pattaya lockdown - Part 2 - beginning Tuesday, April 14

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Pattaya lockdown - Part 2 - beginning Tuesday, April 14

Post by Dodger »

This, being a first for everybody...I doubt the Thais have the foggiest clue...the police themselves have to be confused...and the rules will be interpreted differently from one roadblock to the next. Welcome to Thailand!

I mentioned in another post that the BIB have to be going broke with all the bars closed and tourists gone. Well, these meaningless roadblocks give them a role to play. Keep your wallets handy.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

33 new cases..... trending in the right direction. Perhaps by May 1,our lives can resume some degree of normalcy.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/04/12/t ... al-deaths/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

With yet another change, I'm confused as to what good they think this on-again off-again lockdown is going to do at all.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pattaya City Checkpoints and closure to start Wednesday, not Tuesday, in the afternoon

By Adam Judd

Monday, 13 April 2020

Pattaya City announced this afternoon that the new closure restriction checkpoints will start on Wednesday, April 15th, after Noon.

The Pattaya City Mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem told The Pattaya News late this afternoon “The new closure zones will have eight checkpoints on roads for both Chonburi inbound and Sattahip inbound.”

“People who do not have ID cards in Banglamung but have to enter Pattaya for work will have to fill out documents.”

“Documents will be available at 140 branches of 7-Eleven in Pattaya and can be picked up now.”

“All eight checkpoints will be on Sukhumvit Road.”

“By getting documents together now, this will help to decrease traffic jams when the closures start on April 15th. after noon.” The Mayor concluded.

As for foreigners, they must have their original passport and proof of residence. This can be the housing certificate, a driver’s license with their address or even bills in their name at a residence. Entering Pattaya City will only be for essential reasons and must also need proof, such as a doctor’s appointment or Immigration appointment. If a foreigner is working they must have their work permit and the proper paperwork which they can also get from what we posted above or 7-11, same as a Thai National.

Story, photos, and map: https://thepattayanews.com/2020/04/13/p ... afternoon/
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

According to the map shown in last article, the roadblocks were going to be stationed off of Sukumvit to avoid mega bottlenecks. According this article, (written by the same Adam in Wonderland), the roadblocks are "on" Sukumvit. Ya gotta luv the clarity!

Wherever they put them we can look forward to another fiasco.

"Great planners"...does anyone have the foggiest idea what the objective is???
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:50 pm "Great planners"...does anyone have the foggiest idea what the objective is???
I certainly don't. The curfew and the cooperation of the vast majority seems to be doing quite an adequate job of curtailing the virus in Pattaya. I don't know how this lockdown will do much of anything other than creating confusion and traffic jams. The authorities have made it clear they mean business about the curfew and dealing with violators. I don't see a need for a lockdown on top of that.

I, for one, won't be at all surprised if this lockdown attempt will be yet another failure. If it will really help anything I would be all for it. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it doing anything beyond what is already being done.

One other thing I don't understand. YOU. This is the second time you have included this kind of criticism of Adam Judd in your post. Why? No other news source has yet reported this latest change in lockdown plans. No other news source has published the latest map. He didn't create the map. I think he is doing a damned good job of keeping us informed as timely as possible. I'm grateful for his reporting. I'm glad to have the information that so far no other news source is providing. Maybe he won't win a Pulitzer prize, but I think he's doing the best he can - and I don't see him sensationalizing anything.

In any case, we've all figured out you don't like Adam Judd. Further name calling and personal put downs are not necessary.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:01 pm The curfew and the cooperation of the vast majority seems to be doing quite an adequate job of curtailing the virus in Pattaya. I don't know how this lockdown will do much of anything other than creating confusion and traffic jams.
I know, it just doesn't make any sense.

One thing I've found myself considering is the fact that the Pattaya Police (BIB) are paid poorly and rely on the “support of their communities” to make their wages livable. This means accepting payments from the gold shops and other businesses they protect, fines they issue, and commissions from bars, night clubs, karaoke's, brothels, etc. According to recent reports, The BIB earn an average of 14,760 baht per month, with junior positions paying much less, between 6,800 and 8,340 baht, and they have to buy their own guns and even office supplies, thus the reason we see them on the streets at the end of the month looking for ways to issue on-the-spot fines to tide them over till payday.

April marks month number 4 since the onset of Covid-19 which we all know has resulted in the closing of all the businesses and venues mentioned above, as well as reducing the tourists to ZERO. This being said, the sources of the fines and commissions being paid to the BIB are simply gone.

I'm not saying this is the reason for the roadblocks, just something that keeps popping up in my mind. I'll leave it at that.

GB - I have nothing personal against Adam Judd, and actually read a lot of his articles, but I always have to take what he's saying with a grain of salt. He has a tendency to move like the speed-of-light to be the first one to break a story (congratulations there), but often gets sloppy when it comes to including detailed facts regarding the subject at hand, as well as the clarity that the farang readers rely on. Facts and Clarity, are the two things good editors insist on before approving an article to go to print. I'll give him an "A" for effort, and another "A" for being the fastest gun in town, but a "C minus" for the newsworthiness of his articles. This is based on several years of stumbling across his articles, not isolated to these most recent ones.

I guess We'll just have to agree to disagree about this guy's talents.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:01 pm
One other thing I don't understand. YOU. This is the second time you have included this kind of criticism of Adam Judd in your post. Why? No other news source has yet reported this latest change in lockdown plans. No other news source has published the latest map. He didn't create the map. I think he is doing a damned good job of keeping us informed as timely as possible. I'm grateful for his reporting. I'm glad to have the information that so far no other news source is providing. Maybe he won't win a Pulitzer prize, but I think he's doing the best he can - and I don't see him sensationalizing anything.
GB, I agree with you re Adam Judd and the news he reports. As to clarity, I think this is more due to the information he is provided, which in many cases, appear to be from the Thai authorities. I appreciate his getting the information and disseminating it quickly. He also publishes clarifying information if and when he obtains it. I also note that a link to his The Pattaya News is included in the Pattaya City Expats Club Newsletter as a source of information on the COVID19 news for Pattaya.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Having just returned from BHP, there are tents set up at all the major intersections on Sukumvit in the right hand lanes going south. Through traffic going south must use the far left lanes. IF the checkpoints are actually on Sukumvit then I foresee major traffic headaches. The first checkpoint I observed was near the plant market opposite the Honda dealership (near BHP). North Pattaya, Pattaya Klang, South Pattaya, Kao Talo/Thepprasit all had tents for the future checkpoints.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Apparently yet another change. The Pattaya Mail is saying the lockdown will begin Thursday at 2:00pm.

Whether the lockdown will begin Wednesday, Thursday, or St. Swithin's Day, make sure you have the required documentation, your passport, the alcohol gel, and are wearing a mask. Otherwise there may be a whole new meaning to "You can't go home again . . ."
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pattaya Lockdown to be enforced on Thursday April 16

By Pattaya Mail

April 14, 2020

After the dismal failure of the first Pattaya Lockdown last week, plans are now in place to implement the second attempt to close and control all entrees into Pattaya City commencing on Thursday April 16 at 14.00 hrs.

The move is in line with Chonburi Governor’s orders to control the movements of the population so as to stop the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) entering or leaving Pattaya city center.

Before the lockdown goes into full operation, a trial run will be conducted on Wednesday April 15, between 15.00-18.00 hrs.

At the end of the trial lockdown, officers concerned will convene a meeting at city hall at 19.00 hrs to evaluate whether any changes or improvements to the operations would be needed.

The checkpoints for entry into Pattaya City proper will be setup at the following 8 locations.

1. In front of Maryvit School, Sukhumvit Road.

2. In front of Mini Siam, Sukhumvit Road.

3. North Pattaya intersection, Sukhumvit Road.

4. Central Pattaya intersection, Sukhumvit Road.

5. South Pattaya intersection, Sukhumvit Road.

6. Thepprasit Road intersection, Sukhumvit Road.

7. Wat Boon Kanjanaram intersection, Sukhumvit Road.

8. District Attorney intersection (Huay Yai) Sukhumvit Rd, Inbound direction.

It is recommended that people coming from Sattahip who wish to bypass Pattaya, should turn onto Highway 332 at Che Intersection to avoid checkpoint no. 8.

To pass the checkpoint a Thai national must carry an A4 sized photocopy of their ID card, so the officer will be able to read it easily and not have to touch the person’s ID card. But if the A4 copy is not convenient, the person must show his/her original ID card or a normal photocopy.

The same process goes for foreigners who must show their passports or photocopies and other relevant documents as above.

In case of the person renting a house or apartment in Pattaya, a copy of the ID card of the landlord with a letter confirming that the person is a tenant of his/her residence in Pattaya must be shown. A telephone number of the landlord must also be provided.

In case the person must visit a doctor or a hospital, a letter of appointment will suffice.

As before those who must pass through these checkpoints to work in Pattaya must show proof of their government service, proof of being an official of an organization, and work place unit identity card to the officers at the checkpoints.

Those who do not have an ID card must request the organization where they work to issue them an official form stating full name, ID card number, telephone number, name of organization, position of their work, address of organization and must be signed by the head of the organization. (PCPR)

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattay ... -16-295463