Thailand Prepares for the Worst

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Thailand Prepares for the Worst

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:18 am I wonder how many Falangs are now unable to return to their homes in Thailand?
Based on the reports of overcrowding at the immigration offices, there must be a hell of a lot. And who knows how long it will be before they can? Many airlines are suspending international flights, and some countries are banning international flight arrivals.

Just what these people are supposed to do if they start running out of money - your guess is as good as mine.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:35 am
gerefan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:18 am I wonder how many Falangs are now unable to return to their homes in Thailand?
Based on the reports of overcrowding at the immigration offices, there must be a hell of a lot. And who knows how long it will be before they can? Many airlines are suspending international flights, and some countries are banning international flight arrivals.

Just what these people are supposed to do if they start running out of money - your guess is as good as mine.
It appears as if the problem is going to be two-fold. 1) Farang (expats) who are trying to re-enter Thailand to return to their homes in Thailand, but are now banned from re-entry - and - 2) farang (tourists, workers, etc.) who are trying to leave Thailand but find that their flights have been canceled, or can't return due to a block-out in their home country.

We're heading towards a Global Block-Out, where travelers are simply going to be frozen in place for a while. Every country will have to make provisions for the circumstances mentioned above. What a nightmare!

I could be wrong, but I think a lot of the overcrowding at Immigration is attributed to tourists seeking extensions. I wonder how many of them have reached the limits on their extensions but can't return to their home countries??? This would present a situation where tourists would be forced to stay in Thailand until the block-out in their home country is lifted, without having a valid visa. Logic would dictate that "special visa extensions" would have to be granted to address this problem caused by the Pandemic, but, in my 22 years of experience in Thailand, "logic" has very little influence. Maybe they'll just re-institute the TM28... :roll:

For us retired expats it could be worse. Being stuck in isolation with a bag of potato chips, a cold beer, and a "boy toy", certainly takes the edge off.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Thursday morning. KFC at Tesco Sukhumvit has removed all its tables and chairs. Small general goods stalls covered over. The small branch of Bangkok Bank there was closed. Inside Tesco, clothing, electronics, household goods like sheets and linen etc have been roped off. But rest easy, booze was still for sale. Will bank branches at Central Festival remain open? Good for weekend banking business but who knows?

Dodger, maybe we should all open our hearts to ease the suffering of boy toys.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

thewayhelooks wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:25 pm Dodger, maybe we should all open our hearts to ease the suffering of boy toys.
Yes, I agree, and in doing so it would be advisable to inform boy toys of the following:

Due to the threat of the coronavirus;

1) They will need to be scrubbed very slowly from head-to-toe before jumping into bed.
2) Mutual tongue-lashings of the genital area will be required, preferably after downing a few shots of 100 proof whiskey.
3) To maintain social distancing, the "69" position should be the starting point.
4) Rimming should also be considered as an alternate technique for maintaining social-distancing.
5) If neither of you have a fever at this point, alternate positions can then be applied.
6) He is required to swallow during the act of oral sex as to not displace semen which could be infected in the environment.
7) Fake orgasms are permitted, although any screaming must be done while wearing a face mask.
8) Due to the curfew, he will have to spend the night.
9) Wash hands thoroughly.
Jun

Post by Jun »

If they had any sense, the Thai authorities would automatically extend visas by (say) 90 days from the expiry date, for all people legally in the country, with no admin. Send out texts and e-mails to inform people. Stick a huge sign at the front of every immigration office to explain it.
Explain it on their website.

Close the immigration office for the majority of their pointless functions. Redirect immigration manpower to enforcement of COVID rules.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I just saw that their app for the 90-day address report ("Immigration eServices" on Google play for Android phones and tablets) did an update on March 23. The only way I was able to get the updated version was to uninstall the original version and then re-install the newer version.

I am not yet within the date range when I can try the app, so if anyone gets the newer version and tries it, please let us know if this time it works.

I certainly hope the new version works, but why am I not holding my breath . . . ?
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Jun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:39 pm If they had any sense, the Thai authorities would automatically extend visas by (say) 90 days from the expiry date, for all people legally in the country, with no admin. Send out texts and e-mails to inform people. Stick a huge sign at the front of every immigration office to explain it.

Close the immigration office for the majority of their pointless functions. Redirect immigration manpower to enforcement of COVID rules.
No chance...too much common sense there.
Anyway I thought an announcement about visa extension and cancelling fines for overstay was announced back in February. I know because I was going to ask for a free 2 day overstay!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:39 pm If they had any sense, the Thai authorities would automatically extend visas by (say) 90 days from the expiry date, for all people legally in the country, with no admin. Send out texts and e-mails to inform people. Stick a huge sign at the front of every immigration office to explain it.

I totally agree with everything you said, with one caveat: They should then redirect immigration manpower to self-quarantine for 90 days to get the fuck out of everyone's hair.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The doctor didn't mention the safest way of all to avoid the virus - stay home and don't go anywhere unless absolutely necessary.

When I do have to go out, such as going to a grocery store, along with the mask I wear surgical gloves. A whole box of them is very inexpensive and, as far as I know, there has not been a run on them at the pharmacies, so they should still be readily available if you wish to use them. When you remove the gloves, that's the time to immediately disinfect your hands.

I don't know if that's doing me any good, but I haven't gotten sick - so far . . .

FOR YOUR SAFETY: Key statistics, advice from doctors on Covid-19

Mar 30, 2020

Prince Songkla University infectious disease doctor Prof Khachornsakdi Silpapojakul provides important Covid-19 statistics and advice, including the percentage of infection, the effectiveness of masks, and places and things which can attract the dreaded virus.

Here are his statistics:

* At least 4-14per cent of elders aged 60 and above who have contracted Covid-19 have died, while those aged 15 and younger have not got pneumonia from the virus.

* Covid-19 patients with mild or severe symptoms accounted for approximately 93 per cent and 7 per cent of cases, respectively.

* Most patients cough and have fever on the fifth day of infection, and start to suffocate on the tenth day. Only 4 per cent of patients who initially had nasal discharge were infected by the virus.

* Ten seconds of holding hands can lead to a 70% chance of infection.

* There is a 50 per cent possibility of infection if persons sit together for 10 hours, or when a person is a metre from another.

* However, a person will not be infected if he/she is separated from others at a distance of 4 to 5 metres, according to the World Health Organisation. WHO has advised a 2-metre distance.

* Initially, 41 per cent of Wuhan residents became infected with Covid-19 after visiting a hospital. “So please do not visit a hospital for unnecessary cases,” Khachornsakdi said.

* Patients wearing masks can reduce the spread of the virus by 90 per cent.

* Surgical masks and N95 masks can prevent Covid-19 from spreading by 56 per cent and 66 per cent respectively, and if the edges of these masks are taped, this can prevent the virus from spreading by 95 per cent and 99 per cent respectively. The doctor recommended using micropore tape because it hurts less than transpore or other tapes when in contact with the skin, while he preferred using a face shield during an operation.

Meanwhile, another doctor, Theeraphap Tanisaro, said that N95 masks can be reused if they are worn with a face shield and disinfected after use.

“If you are afraid that the virus may stick to the mask, you can wear another layer of surgical mask. We believe this method may be useful if there is a shortage of N95 masks,” he said.

Khachornsakdi warned that elevators could become a dangerous place if they were used to move Covid-19 patients. He advised using your foot, shoulder, or back, or calling to other people to open the doors from outside.

“If negative-pressure rooms are not sufficient, patients must be placed near windows and fans used to blow the interior air outside,” he advised.

“The patients’ ward must be separated into two zones – a contaminated zone holding patients and a coordination zone for paperwork.”

Khachornsakdi said it is not necessary to use alcohol to disinfect equipment – just using detergent, any cleaning solution or UV steriliser can act as effective disinfectants.

“The virus often exists on computers, keyboards, tables and door knobs,” he also warned.

https://www.nationthailand.com/premium/30385081