chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Jun »

gera wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:36 am What kind of proof you expect? It was denied by both German company involved and US government. What else do you want?
You said he DEFINITELY didn't ask. Most rational people only reserve such terminology for certainties, where there is evidence. You cannot be sure.

Trump is such a moron he might well have asked for a vaccine "only for America" in his meeting with management of Curvac.

Both parties are incentivised to deny it, as Trump sometimes needs cooperation of other world leaders and Curevac might want to sell product to the US.

gera wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:36 am IN THE TIME OF UNPRECEDENTED CRISIS LIKE THAT ALL AMERICANS SHOULD SUPPORT THE PRESIDENT WHEN HE IS WORKING TO RESOLVE IT.
I imagine when f***wit Trump makes good decisions, he will get the support of the majority of the US population.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:59 am I imagine when f***wit Trump makes good decisions, he will get the support of the majority of the US population.
So far brilliant decisions, such as putting Mike Pence in charge . . .

Now over 8500 cases in the USA. 135 cases currently being treated in hospitals in Thailand.

Why am I not impressed with Trump's handling of the situation?

I'm also seeing articles stating the Thai government is now considering moving to Stage 3 if the situation warrants it. That would mean locking down the entire country. I'm not sure what that would entail, but I hope it doesn't come to that.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

At Jomtien immigration today many, many people seeking an extension in light of not being able to get home, from what I observed most only got an additional 7 days.
On another note I strongly recommend anyone needing to go to immigration wear a mask as you will be surrounded with people, anyone working at immigration is in a very precarious position with the constant contact of visitors.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:18 pm On another note I strongly recommend anyone needing to go to immigration wear a mask.
So far I have not been able to find any masks. Do you (or anybody else) know where to find them?
odd

Post by odd »

Yes, Fascino in Pattaya Nua-close to City Hall.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

As long as we're mentioning face masks, does anyone know how many times to use it before changing to a new one?

For me, the only reason to even wear a face mask is to keep other people from getting upset because you're not wearing one. I think face masks are totally useless against a virus. Viruses are so ultra-microscopic that if anyone truly believes a face mask would be an effective barrier, they are just kidding themselves.

That's what I think, anyway.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The WHO does not recommend healthy people wearing face masks.

However:
1 How the hell are we supposed to know who is healthy unless they test every day ?

2 The WHO already have a track record of giving out very bad advice on this. For ALL of January, they were not recommending travel restrictions out of China. Had they immediately recommended 14 day quarantine for all people leaving China, the rest of the world could probably carry on as normal at present. Giving more time for developing a vaccine.

3 In Asia, they wear face masks. Western countries do not. Looking at the figures, the rate of increase is far worse in western countries. The only countries that have had infections and got this under some level of control are in Asia. So the smart move is to ask what are they doing better. Also, as a Chinese student told me, the face mask is to reduce the risk of affecting others. As I understand it, the virus can also be attached to droplets and a mask should not prevent that.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:58 pm In Asia, they wear face masks.
I doubt that has anything to do with it. In Pattaya many are wearing face masks, but most people I've seen are not. And there are still no reported cases in Pattaya.

I think Thailand has relatively few cases because of all the precautions and restrictions, but not because of face masks.

As long as I've lived here, this is the first time I can recall Thailand actually taking proactive action, and as far as I can tell it does seem to be paying in keeping the number of cases low compared to so many other countries. I think we all hope that continues to be the case.
Jun

Post by Jun »

In most of the Asian countries that have had early outbreaks and have established some kind of control, wearing of face masks is much more common than in in the west.
China, Taiwan, S Korea & Japan.
Even in Thailand, when there were outbreaks earlier in the year, perhaps up to 2/3rds of locals were wearing face masks on the MRT. A lower percentage out on the pavement. And it faded away after days of no new case announcements.

This is way more than I have seen wearing masks in London, where it was perhaps <1% on my last visit.

Now I don't know if face masks have anything to do with it either.
However, if certain countries get this under control and others don't, it makes sense to examine ALL of the differences in behaviour.

Incidentally, plotting this on a log scale (as one should for exponential growth), over the last 7 days, the slope of the curve for Thailand has increased and is similar to that for western countries. I wonder what has changed to cause this result ?
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

The slope of the curve is unfortunately increasing because of the sources of the infection are foreign sourced, Thai workers returning from Asian and European countries (Italy!). If you click on the the flashing circles, you get more information about that infection.

https://covidtracker.5lab.co/en