chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Gaybutton »

gera wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:39 pm One of the problems in creating a vaccine for coronavirus
Another problem - even if they come up with a vaccine, won't they need to make enough of it to immunize every human on the planet? I wonder how long that would take.

If they do manage to create a vaccine, I hope it won't be difficult to get or prohibitively expensive.
gera

Post by gera »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:56 pm Another problem - even if they come up with a vaccine, won't they need to make enough of it to immunize every human on the planet? I wonder how long that would take.

If they do manage to create a vaccine, I hope it won't be difficult to get or prohibitively expensive.
These are important issues. But keep in mind that so far no specific medication or vaccine had been developed for any kind of coronavirus (including the ones that cause a usual cold).
Jun

Post by Jun »

They are already testing coronavirus vaccines on humans, including in the US.

I believe it's still going to be the best part of a year away, if following normal approval rules. However, considering the risk of NOT having a vaccine is higher than normal, presumably the approval rules may be adjusted.

I've not read anything suggesting a vaccine should be more expensive than a flu vaccine.

As for treating the whole world, I guess the usual rich nations will get it and the others will depend on aid. [That's how I think it WILL be, not how I think it SHOULD be]
Also, rumour has it that Trump wanted a vaccine "only for the US", so his objective is clear. As he's an obvious danger to the entire planet, I'm really disappointed that his COVID test was OK. https://www.dw.com/en/germany-and-us-wr ... a-52777990
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:03 pm I'm really disappointed that his COVID test was OK.
That makes two of us, and you can throw in Mike Pence and Mitch McConnell too.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Bangkok Post wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:46 am
A second estimate putting the rate of transmission at 1.8 would see Thailand struck by 9.9 million cases by the end of 2020.

A third, unlikely, scenario would see measures to control the spread of the virus prove ineffective resulting in rapid transmission at a rate of 2.2 new cases per infection with 37.4 million cases of Covid-19 in Thailand
Exactly the sort of hype that nobody needs...these people need to be silenced.

To be clear I do not mean you Gaybutton, I mean the original author.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:00 pm To be clear I do not mean you Gaybutton, I mean the original author.
Ok. I edited the quote so that now it shows Bangkok Post as the author. I doubt anybody really thought I was the author.
gera

Post by gera »

There are dozens of vaccines that are currently developed. There is absolutely no guarantee that any of them succeed. The one developed by NIAID and the company called Moderna (currently in the first phase of trial ) is based on novel principles. And though it is based on previous work related to vaccine for SARS , it is unclear whether they will succeed. Another interesting research (jointly Pfizer and Biontech) do not use samples of the virus itself,
as typical vaccines do (in either dead or weakened form, to jump-start the body's natural defences) but instead relies on RNA to kickstart the production of proteins similar enough to the virus that they trigger the body's development of antibodies effective against the actual target. The hope is that AT LEAST one of these and other attempts succeed. If Trump or anybody else can deliver it , I am all for it. And he definitely did not try to buy anything for American use only. Total bullshit coming out of Germans who are as nervous as anybody else about the current epidemic.
Jun

Post by Jun »

gera wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 pmThere are dozens of vaccines that are currently developed. There is absolutely no guarantee that any of them succeed.
Agreed, there are no GUARANTEES. However, with all the experts and all the vaccine expertise, it's highly probable that one of the solutions will work. The timing is the main issue.

gera wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 pm And he definitely did not try to buy anything for American use only. Total bullshit coming out of Germans who are as nervous as anybody else about the current epidemic.
You have used the word "definitely", so therefore please could you provide proof to support your definite statement ?
The original allegations were widely reported by lots of reputable media groups. Doesn't mean they were definitely correct of course.
gera

Post by gera »

What kind of proof you expect? It was denied by both German company involved and US government. What else do you want? It reminds me Russians demanding the proof that they poisoned Skripals: no matter what was submitted they kept saying that this is not a proof. Trump is bad enough as such and nobody needs creating a caricature of him. You can believe to whatever you want though but it is absolute bullshit. the company has a facility in Boston and Trump suggested to move research over there promising substantial funding. That was it. When German government learnt about it they got crazy and actually provided funding of its own of 80 million euro. US government got a substantial funding from the congress to develop the vaccine and they provide financial support to a number of international companies working on it. what is wrong with that?
My opinion is this: IN THE TIME OF UNPRECEDENTED CRISIS LIKE THAT ALL AMERICANS SHOULD SUPPORT THE PRESIDENT WHEN HE IS WORKING TO RESOLVE IT.
gera

Post by gera »

Jun wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:06 am
gera wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 pmThere are dozens of vaccines that are currently developed. There is absolutely no guarantee that any of them succeed.
Agreed, there are no GUARANTEES. However, with all the experts and all the vaccine expertise, it's highly probable that one of the solutions will work. The timing is the main issue.

Really? How about vaccine for HIV?