Smokin Joe's Bbq

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
richsilver

Re: Smokin Joe's Bbq

Post by richsilver »

Dined there last night with two friends and it was six thumbs up! Very fine ribs, excellent home-made baked beans. Nice atmosphere, great service.

What's not to like?

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Nice pic...richsilver!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
gojoi

Post by gojoi »

If you read Thaiworthys post you will find that he first called me boorish and trollish. In addition the insult, questioning who my parents are which seems to have gone unnoticed I did not call anyone boorish or trollish .Is Thaiworthy not subject to the same cencorship rules
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gojoi wrote:If you read Thaiworthys post you will find that he first called me boorish and trollish. In addition the insult, questioning who my parents are which seems to have gone unnoticed I did not call anyone boorish or trollish .Is Thaiworthy not subject to the same cencorship rules
Think of it however you want. You had your chance and you still want to persist and argue with me.

It's been nice having you here. Bye bye . . .
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

How is it for finding a parking place nearby? A friend who has eaten there mentioned to me yesterday that he thought they were on Door 2 Door as he saw D2D making pick ups for home delivery while he was there. D2D uses Food Panda platform for ordering home delivery. I checked and Smokin Joe's is now available through Food Panda (shows it is a"new" restaurant). So, maybe I'll order home delivery to check it out - my friend raved about their ribs and sides.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:How is it for finding a parking place nearby?
It depends on what you're parking. Motorbike, no problem. Car, if you're lucky.

The good news is just 1 block up is Third Road. You almost always can find a place to park a car there.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Went for lunch today my second visit, my friend and I both had the Tuesday special before 6PM.....half rack(big) any style ribs any 2 sides only 295bht......again excellent!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I guess I'm the odd man out but I was not as impressed as the rest of the posters. I recently went to Smokin Joe"s and had the Tennessee ribs and baked beans. I really did not like fava beans being mixed with pinto beans and I did not like the taste. I'm a regular at The Smokin Pug in Bangkok and much prefer the Pug over Joe's. I lived in the South/USA for 30 years and the Pug is closer to what I remember having in a lot of small BBQ joints in both small towns and southern cities.

Still, I would go to Joe's again and order something different.

We got some free salsa and tostada chips--the chips were stale and the salsa tasteless. But, they were free, so I should not complain. At the Pug you get free sweet potato chips.

I went with my Thai BF who will not eat US BBQ and he ordered Thai food and found it "acceptable"
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I will take a different group of friends next week and see if their opinions are any different.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Trongpai wrote:I guess I'm the odd man out but I was not as impressed as the rest of the posters. I recently went to Smokin Joe"s and had the Tennessee ribs and baked beans. I really did not like fava beans being mixed with pinto beans and I did not like the taste.
I ordered Door2Door (Foodpanda) delivery to give them a try. I have to agree with Trongpai's assessment, especially about the beans - I found them also too dry, I prefer some liquid --e.g., the BBQ beans from Lone Star Texas Grill or Texas Grill IMO are very good as are their ribs and other BBQ dishes (both also have that Southwestern cuisine known as a Chicken Fried Steak - which are okay, but certainly not as good as Rich Man Poor Man - unfortunately RMPM has taken that item off the menu - but Eddy says if he is there, he will make it for me).

Like Trongpai, I have spent most of my life living in a part of USA known for having good BBQ - Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, & Oklahoma - the best being a place on US Highway 1 between Baton Rouge and Shreveport - prefab building, 4 chimneys, and BBQ ribs were served on old newspapers - but it was great.