Southern States American food

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lvdkeyes

Re: Southern States American food

Post by lvdkeyes »

I make gravy from the pan drippings from the fried chicken all the time.

Drain off most of the oil leaving the browned bits. Add as much of the seasoned flour that you used to dredge the chicken as you have oil left in the pan. Stir well to coat the flour with oil and cook the flour until it begins to brown a little. Add cold milk a little at a time, whisking to avoid lumps of flour. The gravy will reach fullest thickness when it starts to boil. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
YardenUK

Post by YardenUK »

thanks for that - sounds delicious - canned or powdered gravy is pretty noxious to me - and i am very curious to try a southern home style one! Shame - I roasted chicken just 2 nights ago - will try it soon tho! thx again
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

lvdkeyes wrote:I make gravy from the pan drippings from the fried chicken all the time.

Drain off most of the oil leaving the browned bits. Add as much of the seasoned flour that you used to dredge the chicken as you have oil left in the pan. Stir well to coat the flour with oil and cook the flour until it begins to brown a little. Add cold milk a little at a time, whisking to avoid lumps of flour. The gravy will reach fullest thickness when it starts to boil. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
It sounds like that would work out okay, then. I would never had guessed it, though-- since it sounds like most of the fat comes from Crisco rather than the chicken itself, but I'm no Julia Child! I'd rather follow the experts than be one.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

The fat from the chicken will be in the pan too along with the brown bits. Self-respecting Southerners would never use canned gravy.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

lvdkeyes wrote:The fat from the chicken will be in the pan too along with the brown bits. Self-respecting Southerners would never use canned gravy.
Well, shut my mouth! I guess you can do something here. I found this:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/friedc ... 90821a.htm

To make cream gravy:
Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of the fat from the skillet. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 4 tablespoons flour; blend and cook until golden brown, scraping browned bits from bottom of skillet. Gradually stir in 1 cup milk and 1 cup hot water. Stir until smooth and thickened; add salt and black pepper. Pour into a gravy boat and serve with hot biscuits, potatoes, or rice.

For the record I am not a Southerner, even though I have lived in the South for 17 years. I was born in Missouri, so you have to "show me," which these posts easily prove.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

This cream gravy is similar to the one I make.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

While BBQ ribs are not only southern, this sauce is from a BBQ place in Kentucky.

Barbecued Pork Ribs

2 full slabs of pork ribs, about 3 pounds each

Spice Rub:

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons salt
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
4 tablespoons paprika

Mix all spices together. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 C). Rub pork ribs on both sides liberally with mixture. Place ribs on a baking sheet, meaty side up, cover with parchment and seal tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 4-5 hours or until fork tender.

In the meantime prepare Barbecue Sauce.

Barbecue Sauce:

Mix together in a medium size pot:

2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon chili flakes or more to taste
1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 cup yellow prepared mustard
1 ¼ cups ketchup
½ cup water
12 ounces white vinegar

Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Mix together in a small bowel:
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup corn starch
¼ cup cold water

Stir into sauce and simmer for another 30 minutes.

When ribs are tender, remove the parchment and foil and drain off the excess fat. Liberally slather the ribs on the meaty side with the barbecue sauce and heat through either in the oven or on a BBQ grill.
kenaubkk

Re: Southern States food - Tetrazzini sorce (not sauce)

Post by kenaubkk »

who do you believe about origins?

I recently stumbled upon Tetrazzini - a gorgeous comfort food dish with obscene amounts of cream and cheese and token amounts of mushrooms, chicken and pasta, but about half the sites I found claimed it was Southern States American food called Chicken Tetrazzini, the other half claimed it was an Italian dish called Spaghetti Tetrazzini.

in the end I went for a slight variation on the Jamie Oliver Italian recipe and gained 5 kg in weight!

ken
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

The most common belief is that it was invented in San Francisco and named for an Italian opera singer.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I grew up on good southern food - and when I lived in Little Rock, Arkansas for a time, found a great soul food restaurant - that was where I was introduced to Sweet Potato Pie (I have baked sweet potato pie using a recipe for pumpkin pie, just replace the pumpkin with cooked/mashed sweet potato - I was going to do it here, but discovered that the Thai potato that looks like a sweet potato will not work - they are dry and crumbly when cooked).

For Chicken Fried Steak or Meat Loaf, I go to Rich Man Poor Man restaurant (Jomtien Soi 9) - both are good except the cream gravy for the chicken fried steak is not as creamy as I would like (for the non initiated, a chicken fried steak is not chicken -- it is beef that has been tenderized and coated with flour and fried as you would fry chicken - thus the name) - Also, like fried chicken, the side dish is usually mashed potatoes and gravy - The Villa Market used to have some frozen tenderized meat patties, which I used to make chicken fried steak at home, but my last few visits there they did not have it - since they quit stocking it, I pretty much quit shopping at Villa Market, so I have not been there for a while to see if it was back in stock.

What I really miss is biscuits -- I should have been paying attention when my Mother used to make biscuits - I have tried a couple of recipes, but they never seem to come out right -- anyone have the secret to making good fluffy biscuits?