Restaurant Reviews

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Restaurant Reviews

Post by Gaybutton »

On the "Does Portion Size Matter" thread, Thaiworthy asked the following question. I thought it would be better to answer on a separate thread. If any of you wish to post about restaurants you like, please feel free to do so in this thread.
thaiworthy wrote:Where are your restaurant reviews, GB?
I suppose I may be in, for lack of a better term, a "restaurant rut." My friends and I tend to make the rounds of our favorite restaurants most of the time, so I really haven't been to any lately that I haven't already reviewed.

I'll give you one, though, since you asked, but I don't think very many of our readers are going to get there. It's a "Dark Side" restaurant called Red Palm. It's on Soi Khaotolo. Those of you familiar with Soi Khaotolo are probably also familiar with the large open-air Thai market close to the top of the hill. Coming from Sukhumvit, it's just before you get as far as that market, on the left - about Soi 10. I tried it for the first time only a few days ago.

It's a small place, not so small that I would call it a hole-in-the-wall, but not much larger than that. It's a Mexican food restaurant and in my opinion the best Mexican food in the Pattaya area, possibly the best Mexican food in Thailand. I always liked Mike's Mexican and Tequila Reef, but Red Palm has both of them beat by miles. The prices are on par with both Mike's and Tequila Reef.

For example, at Mikes if you order their nacho appetizer, you get a plate of nacho corn chips and a bowl of guacamole - 180 baht.

I tried it at Red Palm and was served a plate of nacho corn chips, served heated, that had each been topped with melted cheese, guacamole, sour cream, and refried beans - 175 baht.

Speaking of portions, there won't be any complaints of too-small portions at Red Palm. I had the nachos and a burrito and I was unable to finish. They have several menu items that you just don't find in other local Mexican restaurants. I don't know very much about Mexican food or what constitutes good Mexican food, but RichLB does. While I was there I called him and read off the menu items and he was quite interested. He hasn't been out there yet to try it with me, but he and some other friends are planning to make the trek very soon and I'll be very interested to know what they think of it.

In any case, for me it will be the Red Palm from now on when I'm in the mood for Mexican food.

Red Palm also has a good Thai food menu and take-out is available for all of their menu items.

If anyone wants to give it a try some time, if you don't think you can make it out there on your own, you can send an Email or PM to me and we can work out an arrangement for getting you out there if you would like to have dinner with me.
gertrude

Re: Restaurant Reviews

Post by gertrude »

Has anyone been to BOBS BBQ TEXAS RIBS in Soi LK.?

I would love a review of PAGODA if anyone has been?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I have been to Bob's on a number of occasions and liked the chicken fried steak. Parking is a problem there if you are driving.

It has been awhile since I was there, but Pagoda is good. I don't understand the name. It is not Chinese cuisine, or even Asian.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Does the Red Palm have A/C ?
richsilver

Post by richsilver »

gertrude wrote:Has anyone been to BOBS BBQ TEXAS RIBS in Soi LK.?

Here is a review of Pagoda from the Pattaya Mail a few weeks ago: http://www.pattayamail.com/890/dining.shtml. I like it very much and go there often.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

gertrude wrote:Has anyone been to BOBS BBQ TEXAS RIBS in Soi LK.?

The owner of Pagoda is the same guy that used to own The News Cafe in Jomtien he is a gracious host, many of the dishes have a hint of German fare, very extensive menu, I have eaten there often with few complaints! Price wise it's not Mata Hari but it is not inexpensive. For me one plus is Helmut no longer has to be there to help the now not so new owner.
Doug

Post by Doug »

When I'm looking for a place to "step out" I go the the Bali Hai Sunset Restaurant out by the lighthouse past Bali Hai pier. I go there mainly for the ambience by the ocean. I enjoy the salmon steak the most. You can find a more detailed description at the link : http://freeblognetwork.com/doug/68542/
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Thank you all for responding to this thread. I want to try some of these places when I come in November.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Helmut managed the Poseidon restaurant when they first opened. I was told he was one of the owners. I don't know the reason for his departure, but he opened the Luxor in the Day Night area near Tukcom. The menu was basically the same as he had at the Poseidon - also, many of the Thai wait staff moved from Poseidon to work at Luxor. When he sold Luxor he told me and some others that liked to dine there that it was because he was having some painful back problems.

Later he opened Pagoda - taking over the location of the Flamboyant when, as I understand it the Swiss owner went back home. When we asked about his back, he said he found a doctor that helped him get rid of the pain, which was why he decided to again open a new restaurant. The menu at Pagoda is very similar to his previous two restaurants - and many of the same Thai wait staff work there.

He sold the Pagoda to the current owner and told us he had agreed to stay on for a short period of time to help the new owner; but, he apparently changed his mind as he is still there - it is one of my favorite places. As I understand it, he and the current owner of the Pagoda have gone together to open a new restaurant near the Pagoda - in the location of the former Hot Stone Grill, which closed several months ago - it is supposed to be reasonable priced German restaurant.
gertrude

Post by gertrude »

Helmut is a very good restaurateur.

On another restaurant,does anyone know the small restaurant on the corner to the laneway entrance,it always seems to be full.
This is in the Day Night area.

You actually walk thru the pedestrian laneway besides the Pattaya newspaper office and walk to the end,they have a open kitchen and seem to be always pulling in crowds.
Maybe a Finnish or European type place.