So, last night gave me the opportunity to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of placing my order and knowing its status at all times.
I had my food delivered within 35 minutes for a delivery fee of 19 baht (Masala had charged 50 baht if order was 800 baht or less and free if over).
Although not everyone may be into wanting delivery, for those that do so, I highly recommend Grab Food if you haven't used it. As noted in my Nok's posting, there are numerous restaurants using Grab including many that I have previously ordered using Food Panda (70 baht delivery plus 10% service charge - although now, many of the restaurants listed by Food Panda are showing free delivery - probably because of the Grab food competition).
So, here is my experience using Grab food for the first time (you will need the Grab app on your phone - I believe they have an app for both IOS and Android phones. When activating, you will need to include requested info so Grab can use your phone number with GPS tracking to identify your location.
- Opened Grab app and selected "food" from choices (they also offer taxi service, package delivery service, etc.).
- Information on various restaurants/cuisines/etc. will appear -- or you can use the search bar.
- I typed in Masala Twist and up came their menu for selection of items (which, by the way, included dishes that were not on my home delivery paper menu) and I noted the prices shown were the same as in the restaurant menu.
- I selected items I wanted from menu, including quantity (e.g., 3x for 3 pieces of Roti bread) and added them to the cart - which if I recall correctly , gives you a running total for cost at the bottom of the screen as you add each item.
- I then selected "place order" - it automatically added 19 baht as delivery charge (amount will depend on your location in relation to that of the restaurant you are ordering from).
- As I recall, I then confirmed placing the order
- A screen popped up to confirm or provide more detail on delivery address - also option to save the info - as I recall the screen also showed a map location for my house in the housing estate
- Almost immediately, a message was added that the driver was on the way to restaurant which included name of driver, type of MC & MC license#, and button for sending message or calling the driver if you want
- After only a few minutes, a message popped up that driver was at the restaurant ordering the food
- Within 30 minutes, another message stating driver was on the way with food
- Rec'd message from driver asking to confirm house number and then another message a short time later that driver was arriving
- I paid the driver and gave him a bit extra as a tip - it is my understanding the driver orders the food and pays the restaurant for it, getting reimbursed plus his/her delivery fee when you pay them
- Rec'd an email message from Grab with "invoice" showing items ordered and amount
- Shared the hot meal with bf who likes Indian food very much, especially that prepared by Masala Twist