Nok's Vietnamese Restaurant

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
2lz2p

Nok's Vietnamese Restaurant

Post by 2lz2p »

I met some friends last night at a Vietnamese restaurant on Pattaya Tai at Soi 12 - it is open air and signs are not in English. No problem in parking on street in front of restaurant, but if occupied, you can turn into Soi 12 for additional street parking. They are also open 24 hours.

Food was very good (bf said aroy mak mak) and inexpensive. The lady who runs the place, Nok is her name, speaks good English and is most helpful in describing the food -- they do have an English menu with photos of the dishes. One dish, I don't recall the Vietnamese name, but will just call a "wrap" for the purpose of this post is not included in the menu but has a photo of it (as well as their other food) on the wall.

Two in our party of 7 tried their Pho Bo (Vietnamese noodle soup) and said it was very good. I would normally have wanted it, but upon inquiry with Nok, she did not have hoisen sauce, but did have Sriracha hot sauce (two condiments, I consider necessary when having Pho). The bf and myself had the "wrap", Bun (a noodle and salad mix), and fried spring rolls - photos below. We had one bottle of water to drink (they do have soft drinks and beer available) - total price was 510 baht for the two of us.

The "wrap" is a choice of either pork or chicken sausage and quantity (2, 4, 8) - we chose 8 which turned out to be too much and took a portion home (had it for lunch today) -- the sausages are served on a platter with condiments (chopped garlic, chili, cucumber, and a couple of other items - with rice paper squares on the side and some assorted leafs. There is also a peanut sauce. On a small plate, you place a leaf, then you dip the rice paper square in water to soften placing it on the leaf. Then you add a sausage portion and condiments and some peanut sauce and then close the wrap (rice paper and leaf) and it is ready to eat.

Their face book page has pictures of their dishes: https://www.facebook.com/%E0%B9%81%E0%B ... ale2=th_TH

Pictures are of the restaurant, Nok's business card, and the 3 dishes that the bf and I had.

gera

Re: Nok's Vietnamese Restaurant

Post by gera »

Is it possible to order from this restaurant using grab service?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

gera wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:25 pm Is it possible to order from this restaurant using grab service?
This number is listed on their Facebook page. Why not try it? 0851104949
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

gera wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:25 pm Is it possible to order from this restaurant using grab service?
Their menu shows a slightly higher price for some items listed as the "Take Away" price - I didn't inquire of Nok, but one of my dinner companions that evening was the person who had tried it previously and recommended it to us. He indicated it might have to do with a delivery service. As Undaunted mentioned, give Nok a call and ask - 085-110-4949 (from business card) and ask - she speaks good English.

I've never used the Grab service -- how does that work and what is the general price range for using them?
gera

Post by gera »

Grab service , in principle, operates as any other delivery service. I am not in Pattaya at the moment. My bf (who is currently in Pattaya) ordered from a Vietnamese restaurant using Grab delivery. I wanted to make sure this is the same restaurant that you described in this thread.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

gera wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:27 am Grab service , in principle, operates as any other delivery service. I am not in Pattaya at the moment. My bf (who is currently in Pattaya) ordered from a Vietnamese restaurant using Grab delivery. I wanted to make sure this is the same restaurant that you described in this thread.
I did some Googling re Grab and found a thread on Thaivisa.com that provided information on Grabfood in Pattaya. In the past, I had obtained the Grab App for my iPhone, but never activated it. I have now done that and Grab food is a selection which lists many restaurants - several that I have ordered from using Foodpanda. The delivery charge seems to range from 29 baht maximum downward. I went through the list which includes some places that are Thai writing only - so cannot be sure that Nok's is not listed, but I don't think it is as it would probably denote Vietnamese cuisine; there was one shown for Vietnamese food, but it wasn't Nok's restaurant.

I have noted recently that Foodpanda shows many restaurants with "free delivery" at the moment -- hmmmmm, wonder if that is to counteract folks switching to Grab food (or Lineman, apparently another similar service) as their (for my location) 70 baht delivery fee plus 10% service fee would make Grab food an attractive alternative. Of course, Grab food and other delivery services are a bit off topic for this thread; so, I suggest if anyone wants to comment specifically on delivery service and alternatives, they create another thread for that topic -- if not, once I have used the Grab food service, I may start such a thread :D .
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

This evening, I decided to use Grab food and order from the Vietnamese place mentioned in my previous post. Much to my surprise, it apparently is Nok's restaurant - identified in English as Saab Der... - when I selected items I wanted and placed the order, a map showing the restaurant location was displayed and it was Nok's restaurant. Delivery fee from Soi 12 & Pattaya Tai to my house located on Jomtien Soi 2 (housing estate next to Atlantis Condominium) is 29 baht. I ordered Beef Pho, so I will now give it a try (I have my necessary condiments of hoisen sauce and sriracha hot sauce here at home). Eagerly awaiting delivery - driver acknowledged order within seconds of my placing it and is less than a minute later is at the restaurant (as I post) waiting for order.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I learned from someone at Pattaya City Expats Club meeting yesterday that Nok has been out of the country and just returned. Today, I did get a response to my Line message about locating her restaurant on Grab. Also, I did do another order through Grab, this time ordering the chicken Pho - the beef Pho I ordered was very tasty, but used Thai beef, so a little more chewy than I prefer. Here is what Nok sent me in response to my Line message (note, in the picture it shows 19 baht delivery charge, but depending on distance it can be more -- for my delivery distance it was 29 baht.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:35 pm Here is what Nok sent me
There are 3 numbers in that response. I don't know what they mean. 8, 276, and 80.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:41 pm
2lz2p wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:35 pm Here is what Nok sent me
There are 3 numbers in that response. I don't know what they mean. 8, 276, and 80.
She apparently took a screen shot of an "order" she started on the Grab App to show the name of her restaurant on Grab -- I don't think those numbers mean much but the 80 appears to be the cost of that item. The main thing is knowing the name of the restaurant as it appears on Grab restaurants listing - the menu that appears when ordering from Nok's has Thai descriptions but in some cases also English with price and some with photos.