Makro is talking turkey.......

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

travelerjim1

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner 395 Thb at Frasers Pattaya

Post by travelerjim1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:34 am

Gaybutton

Re: Thanksgiving

Post by Gaybutton » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:25 am

A group of six of us went to Hemingway's, right near Jomtien Complex ( https://www.facebook.com/hemingwaysjomtien/ ). Both their Thanksgiving and Christmas menus are on their Facebook page if you are interested.

I'd give their Thanksgiving dinner a rating of 'good, but not great'. I think their dinner was just about the same as the rest of the dinners. For that kind of dinner I much prefer a buffet, but I didn't see any listings for one.

For those who remember, in my opinion the best Thanksgivings in Pattaya were the ones Richard Burk used to serve, years ago now when he had the Amor restaurant in Boyztown. I haven't found a Thanksgiving dinner anywhere in Pattaya that can hold a candle to Richard's. That was his crowning achievement.

Wherever you folks ate, whether it was a Thanksgiving dinner or not, I hope you enjoyed it.

windwalker

Post by windwalker » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:00 pm

I and some friends ate at Hemingways on T-Day. Food was mediocre although the chicken pate appetizer but excellent and an enjoyable evening was had by all.
The one Thai, Boy (that was his name) did eat everything on his plate which was nice to see.

windwalker

Post by windwalker » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:38 pm

Correction! The food was better than mediocre. About 5 on a scale from 1 to 10. :)

Trongpai

Post by Trongpai » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 pm

I've tried Hemingway's in Jomtiem twice (regular menu) and was not impressed. I don't think I'll give it a third go. It's a nice place decor wise but I don't care for the food.

In Thanksgiving's past there used to be a lot of options for buffets with lots of adds in the Bangkok Post. I kept looking for the adds this year and there was nothing. A lack of turkeys or Americans, I don't know, probably both!

We went to https://www.bourbonstbkk.com/ and had an excellent Thanksgiving dinner. It looked like a good turn out to me but the owner was complaining that booking were down and he was loosing money. He said this might be the last year. I think he said that last year too! The turkey came from New Zealand and was excellent. There were less items put out than in past years but better quality.

Bourbon Street plans also on a Christmas dinner and I plan on attending. There are cheaper options and a lot more expensive, I've tried many but keep returning to Bourbon Street. If I lived in Pattaya I would get to Bangkok just for this dinner.

RichLB

Post by RichLB » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:26 pm

I thought I'd chime in and give Hemingways a thumbs up. I find the food pretty good and the service is outstanding (all meals for a table brought out at the same time, no wait to pay the bill, and a comfortable and pleasing decor). My only objection is that on nights with a major sporting event, the dining area gets pretty noisy. And I don't know if the Elvis impersonator is a late night regular or if it was a special for Thanksgiving, but I have to confess we couldn't get out fast enough once he started singing at full blast.

richsilver

Post by richsilver » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Back in days of yore,
When the Amor was still the Amor,
Birds that came from the US
(Your Butterballs and Norbest)
Had a taste that was hard to ignore.

But here in the Land of the Free
The Thailand Powers that Be
Declared that the flu
Made turkeys taboo,