Hurricane Dorian

fountainhall

Hurricane Dorian

Post by fountainhall »

Looking at the horrific scenes of destruction in the Bahamas caused by Hurricane Dorian reminded me of a thread I started some years ago (at least i think it was some years ago) and which remains relevant.

Way back in 1992 I missed two hurricanes more by good luck than planning. I spent 3 days with friends in Fort Lauderdale only weeks before Category 5 Hurricane Andrew blasted its way across Florida causing destruction in 1992 dollars of $27.3 billion. I then flew on for a 10-day vacation at the Hyatt in Kauaii. Weeks later Category 4 Hurricane Iniki made a direct hit on Kauaii and became the costliest storm ever to hit the Hawaiian Islands.

What continually amazes me is that hurricanes are not a new phenomenon. They have been hitting the USA long before records began. Yet in the target areas most prone to be affected, even today buildings incapable of withstanding even Category 1 or 2 hurricanes continue to be built. What is the point of a house constructed largely of wood when the chances are high that it will be will be torn from its foundations in a hurricane? What is the point of continuing to build homes and other buildings when a coastal city is already virtually at or below sea level and even a small storm surge will cause major flooding? I totally fail to understand the reason!

Typhoons are also a regular summer feature in Asia. The Philippines apart, few now cause the sort of destruction seen in US hurricanes. Hong Kong did not always have high-rise concrete and steel buildings and the damage suffered in major typhoons was considerable. Since the 1970s, though, building regulations have ensured that even in a Category 10 direct hit (the equivalent of a Category 5 Hurricane), damage is mostly superficial and the loss of life very small. The same is true of Taiwan. Even the east coast of China has never seen the sort of destruction I have been seeing in the Bahamas. That Dorian visrtually sat over the Bahamas for a very long time is not really the issue. Typhoon Ellen hit Hong Kong in 1983 with enormous force as witnessed by this photo of a large ship which broke from its moorings and was blown more than a mile before landing on a beach on the small island of Cheung Chau. Yet the beachfront houses suffered little damage. Six people died, one a fireman attempting a rescue.

Photo:: SCMP
Gaybutton

Re: Hurricane Dorian

Post by Gaybutton »

Don't worry. Trump made sure to warn of the approaching storm to the people of . . . . . . . . . . . Alabama !?!?!?!?????

Trump also canceled his trip to Poland for the commemoration of the the start of World War II because he felt it was more important to remain in the USA to monitor the storm and be of help. You know how he monitored and helped? He played golf.

But that's ok. I'm sure he already has his plans in place for helping the people of the Bahamas and the people of wherever the storm causes damage in the USA. By now he's got thousands of rolls of paper towels - ready to toss.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

FH, A lot of what you say is true but nothing could of withstood the havoc wrecked on the Bahamas. First , let's not forget these were fairly poor islands with no financial ability to build the type of buildings you talk about . 2nd this storm created multiple tornados . There is very little built that can withstand constant tornados along with deluges of water over 36 hours. Most of the islands are at or near sea level. There are no mountains in the Bahama's.

I completely agree with your comments of the stupidity of building at or below sea level and this goes on up and down the various seaboards of the US and I would guess the same happens in many other countries . People like to build waterfront and it should be up to the Government to stop this stupidity.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:27 pm nothing could of withstood the havoc wrecked on the Bahamas.
What you say is correct. Meanwhile, with global warming, melting polar icecaps, and rising ocean levels, I'm wondering how long it will be until there won't be any Bahamas - unless you scuba dive.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:17 pm spent 3 days with friends in Fort Lauderdale only weeks before Category 5 Hurricane Andrew blasted its way across Florida
I was there during Hurricane Andrew. I lived there at the time. I had been through a few Florida hurricanes before, none of which I would ever want to experience again, but nothing compared to Hurricane Andrew. I was very lucky. Until the last hour it was heading right for me, but it made an unexpected turn to the south just in time for my area to avoid a direct hit. It did the same kind of damage to huge portions of Miami that we saw in the Bahamas - and most of the damage was inland. It was extremely unusual because there was very little damage along the coastal areas.

Even though I didn't take a direct hit, it was still very frightening. It went on seemingly forever. I can't imagine what it must have been like on Abaco Island. It didn't take long to lose my electricity, but I had foresight enough to have a small battery operated TV, and plenty of spare batteries, along with all the necessary hurricane supplies. One local TV station was able to continue broadcasting, so I had constant news about what was going on.

The reason I didn't evacuate was mainly because there was really no way to do it. The roads were all jam packed and at a standstill. Gas stations had completely run out, although I did fill up the car in advance. I thought I would be better off just riding it out rather than risking being stuck in traffic when it hit.

Even today, there are still areas where you can see bent trees that were a result of Hurricane Andrew.

And now with global warming and climate change, the worry is future hurricanes will make Andrew and Dorian look like child's play.
gera

Post by gera »

fountainhall wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:17 pm What continually amazes me is that hurricanes are not a new phenomenon. They have been hitting the USA long before records began.
Bahamas is not a part of United States. Judging from your post, it seems that you do not realize that. As for "wonderful" protection measures in 'advanced" China versus "stupid America" see https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... n/70009038, for example. And we are talking about category 3 versus category 5 Dorian. Your post is absolutely misleading.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't know which weather map I like more, Trump's or this one (and it's real, not a joke)

fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

gera wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:59 pm Bahamas is not a part of United States. Judging from your post, it seems that you do not realize that.
That is total B/S. Nowhere in my post do I link the two countries. And having visited both, it is not an error I would ever make!