The USA, Immigration, Colonialism - Continuing the Debate

fountainhall

The USA, Immigration, Colonialism - Continuing the Debate

Post by fountainhall »

Over on the Trashing Trump thread there is an exchange between firecat69 and werner99 regarding comments at the end of the first page and the start of the second. Since it is not on topic, GB has requested the conversation cease on that thread. But I do think there are points worth further discussion. Hence this thread.

It started with this quote from firecat69 -
firecat69 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:29 pm Sorry I don't agree. Four years of this Bum is not going to destroy what USA stands for. But 8 years could . I've never had rose colored glasses about my country. There have been many mistakes made but in the end we have been the most welcoming country to immigrants and have never used our military power to colonize or dominate
Werner99 disagreed -
werner99 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:01 pmI agree with your criticism of Trump, but your other comments are total nonsense.

--The United States practiced genocide against the Native Americans and stole their land.
--At least 25 percent of the American territory was stolen from Mexico through wars during the 19th Century.
--The United States took over Hawaii, which once was an independent country.
--The United States invaded and colonized the Philippines for about fifty years.
--The United States has used its military power to invade and to try to control dozens of countries, including Vietnam, Iraq, Panama, etc.
It is surely true that all countries have made mistakes throughout their histories, some greater than others. Before the establishment of the United Kingdom, England and Scotland were constantly at war with the English in particular being especially barbarous. Later, the Highland Clearances were a stain on England that many Scots still abhor. The Irish famine was a disaster. French and Belgian colonialism were often horrific, far worse that the British. Yet the British forcing the Chinese to accept payment for exports in opium was not merely self-serving, it condemned millions to death.

No nation is exempt. Spain and Portugal carved up the New World and massacred at least tens of millions seemingly with the blessing of the Roman Catholic Church.

Nations have also done immense good to others. Without the USA, Europe would probably be flying the Nazi flag. Without the USA and the Marshall Plan, Europe might still be getting over the physical effects of World War II. That was an act of extraordinary generosity that rebuilt Europe in a fraction of the time.

But the USA, like other countries, does need to face up to certain facts. Germany declared War on the USA and that was what got the country into the European war with Hitler. Before then, most of Congress and most of the country were determined to stay out of that war - apart from Roosevelt who pushed ahead with the Lend-Lease programme to help Britain and enabled Britain to keep fighting when many believed it could only be overcome as other European countries had.

The Marshall Plan was not merely an act of generosity. It was vital to US interests to halt the expansion of communism westwards. Without it, it is likely that the Soviets would have reached the shores of the Atlantic with little resistance. The US did colonise The Philippines. Yes, it left it with democracy, but it is one of the worst democracies because there just aren't the democratic institutions in place - witness the rise of the murdering, kleptomaniac dictator Ferdinand Marcos who was backed by the USA who needed its bases in the Philippines with Asia facing communism from the Soviets, the Chinese and - in their view - Vietnam. Witness, too, some of the other Presidents who have ended in jail. And that's before we look at the horrific rates of grinding poverty in that country.

US influence through the United Nations in Korea no doubt helped that peninsula from turning communist/nationalist. But it then installed another murdering dictator Syngman Rhee who was guilty of widespread corruption and political repression and where military rule continued until the early 1990s. I am presently finishing Max Hastings masterful history of the Vietnam War. Had Presidents Roosevelt and Truman of the anti-colonial USA acted on Ho Chi Minh's several requests to get rid of the French colonialists after World War II, that war would have been seen for what it was - a war to claim their nation and not a war against communism. The undeclared wars against Laos and Cambodia, the millions killed and the horrendous tonnage of bombs dropped will forever be a stain on US military history. Balancing that is the huge success of the US in rebuilding a devastated Japan.

Starting with Iran, the interference of the USA through the CIA has toppled endless elected governments thought to be against the interests of the USA. The effects of the ousting of the democratically elected Prime Minster Mossadegh in Iran in the early 1950s has come back to haunt the USA big time. The major assistance to Saddam Hussein during the Iran/Iraq war followed by the sudden change in tack when Hussein invaded Kuwait resulted in the Gulf War. The results of that major folly are still being felt with an horrific War in Syria, 6 million plus refugees, destabilisation in the region - and so on.

So I'm sorry firecat69, the USA is not the beacon of freedom and most welcoming country. Yes, it has accepted tens of millions of immigrants - but let's not forget it actually opened its doors because it wanted those immigrants and their labour to help build the country.

But I'll end as I started. No country is blameless in the annals of history. All have their good history and their bad history. I sometimes think that the unipolar system of international relations that has been in operation virtually since the end of World War II ought to be replaced by the multi-polar model of the 18th centre. Perhaps reasoned argument might help avoid future disasters. But then I recall the disasters and wars of that period of global history.

Who knows what might happen in the future? No-one. In the early 1990s, I remember reading a fascinating book by the noted American economist, Lester Thurow. "Head to Head: The Coming Economic Battle Among Japan, Europe and America" purported to give an economist's view on which economy would be the most prosperous in the early 21st century. After analysing factors in each, he put forward his reasons for saying that everything was in place for Europe to be the dominant economy. If the leaders in their field get things so wrong, how can we ordinary mortals be any more successful?
Gaybutton

Re: The USA, Immigration, Colonialism - Continuing the Debate

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

As usual Fountainhall has a multitude of facts and as usual he only states the ones that make his case. Please name another country that continues to accept immigrants and they become citizens rather than residents . In other words they become Americans. 653,000 last year . Yes there are other countries where people become residents but they never become citizens . And yes the USA has an enormous population of immigrants who did not cross legally and they continue to reside and work in the USA without the chance to become citizens . Someday the Democrats will control all the powers of Government and hopefully that will be remedied .

He also continues to assert that the USA acts in its own self interest when they instituted the Marshall Plan . Well of course they did. Maybe they should have instead ruled over Germany and had the makings of another World War. Same instead of becoming partners with Japan we should have ruled them after their sneak attack . Instead once again we became partners in maintaining freedom in the world.

Of course the USA has made many mistakes but any fair minded person would have to admit the the world is a better place because of the involvement of the USA than they would be without it. Maybe the next time there is a natural disaster somewhere we should say tough luck. Instead in most cases we provide more assistance than the rest of the world combined . Last time I checked I didn't see China, Russia, Japan etc coming with their assistance when we have natural disasters .

I can't stand Trump but the only good thing he is doing is trying to step on the thieving Chinese. Too bad he does not do the same thing with the despots in Russia and Saudi Arabia.

Also it is easy to criticize but when the criticism comes from people who in reality are not citizens of anywhere, you have to wonder? . They may have a passport from a certain country but they are far from citizens of that country unless of course tomorrow the country they reside in decides to evict them back to their own country .
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

firecat69 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:45 pm Also it is easy to criticize but when the criticism comes from people who in reality are not citizens of anywhere, you have to wonder? .
Wonder about what? Someone gave an account of a snow white country and someone else replied with a few omissions. When I read the original post I did smile at the time thinking that someone would reply in that manner. You are correct, it is easy to criticise but mainly because there is an awful lot worthy of criticism when it comes to the behaviour of "countries". Sad that after all this time we still remain unable to live on a planet without wanting to blow each other up.
Jun

Post by Jun »

firecat69 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:45 pm As usual Fountainhall has a multitude of facts and as usual he only states the ones that make his case.
I think Fountainhall is quite entitled to post whatever he likes in an opening post for a thread.

I also think the US has a pretty good track record on colonialism, compared with all the other largest powers in history.
Compare with the UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Russia, Germany & Japan. There have been a few stupid adventures, but no large scale colony building with their current huge military advantage.
If another country is top dog in 50 years time, don't count on them having the same restraint.

I also think there is no merit at all in allowing uncontrolled immigration. The already densely populated European countries letting in loads of people from a culture which is proven not to integrate perfectly is causing discontent and problems. It will continue to do so. The stupidity of the mainstream parties over these issues partially responsible for the rise of extreme parties.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Jun wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:58 pm
firecat69 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:45 pm As usual Fountainhall has a multitude of facts and as usual he only states the ones that make his case.
I think Fountainhall is quite entitled to post whatever he likes in an opening post for a thread.
Just to be clear this was not an opening post in a thread . It was a continuation of a discussion in the Trashing Trump thread. Moderator moved it to a new thread.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Firecat69 is quite right. This was not technically a new thread. I was the one to move it and reopen it. And of course, as there are always two sides to any argument/discussion, he is as entitled as I to his opinions. I also accept that sometimes he may be right. :o

But he is wrong in respect of China and natural disasters. As I posted in another thread some time ago, the Chinese quickly despatched a team to Haiti after the dreadful earthquake in 2010. At that time, it is true, they were not always so quick off the mark. That soon changed, though. As for the awful double earthquake disaster in Nepal in 2015-
China this weekend rushed a 62-person team to Nepal to help with the ongoing search rescue operation after Saturday’s 7.9-magnitude earthquake. They landed in Kathmandu early Sunday and set to work immediately. The rescuers and a second group from the People’s Liberation Army are both well-equipped to help in the desperate search for survivors of a disaster that has already claimed more than 3,600 lives: Some are veterans of the devastating 2008 Sichuan earthquake, which had a 70,000 death toll, and they bring much-needed supplies.
https://time.com/3836182/china-nepal-ea ... opolitics/

Increased response time was one result of a major 2014 meeting between China and the ASEAN nations on how better to respond to natural disasters.
In 2014, China and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on disaster management cooperation, pledging to provide $8.1 million to build ASEAN’s capabilities to respond to regional disasters. Working together on disaster preparedness and risk reduction was highlighted in a 2015 MOU between the U.S. and China aimed at raising the level of bilateral cooperation on development issues, and to work as partners in a third country.
https://asiafoundation.org/2016/10/26/b ... disasters/

As for the granting of citizenship firecat69 is also not correct. Germany has granted full citizenship to Turks who have spent 8 years or more in the country. At least 3 million have successfully been granted citizenship. A law passed in on January 1 2000 has facilitated the acquisition of German citizenship for all peoples born outside of Germany. France offers full citizenship to non-citizens provided they live and work in the country for a minimum of 5 years. Britain also offers full citizenship after that 5 year period. Denmark offers full citizenship to non-citizens. None of these are based on any investment criteria. Are these not facts contradicting firecat69's assertion about the USA being the only country? Want more?

Let's not forget that thanks to the US disastrous Middle East policies since the 1980s, Europe has accepted a huge tide of permanent immigrants, some of whom will be offered residency and, I suspect, eventually citizenship. In 2016, the USA took in 1,183,500 Immigrants. Germany was only a fraction behind with 1,051,000. Indeed, the rest of the world took in more than three times that of the USA. That is not to denigrate the USA's efforts. Merely to point out that refugees are a world problem, not related to any single country.

https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/social-i ... -en#page23
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Anyone who quotes statistics like Fountainhall , hope that nobody will look at the charts that he so generously posts. He is quite right in 2016 statements . But amazingly when you look at the whole chart you will see the USA has been admitting millions more for years . Go back to 2010 when they admitted 5x that of Germany and if I cared to go back further , I'm sure it would become 10x and 15 x .

I do have to plead ignorance in not realizing how you can become citizens of certain European countries. But again the statistics are skewed because many of those obtaining citizenship are already citizens of other EU countries and many maintain dual citizenship. A little like saying some New York residents moved to Utah and became Utah citizens.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

If I wished to hide statistics that do not accord with my comments, I would not post a link. With respect, you will agree that you frequently make assertions but with no link attached whatever. I have no problem with that, but it does tend to cast doubt on the veracity of what might be personal opinions rather than either actual facts or facts as stated by others.

As for refugees, I happily agree with your point re earlier years. But I should point out two things. One is that the US government, despite moaning about immigration for goodness knows how long, has done virtually nothing to stop it. Second that since you mentioned one year in your earlier post, so I mentioned the most recent year I can find for which statistics are available in mine. Further, Europe and other countries would never (willingly) have had to accept so many refugees if US policy in the Middle East had not been such a disaster over so many decades. And yes, I know. The British joined with the CIA to topple Iran's Mossadegh more than 65 years ago.

But i'm sorry to add you are wrong in your assertion that the statistics are "skewed" re "many of those obtaining citizenship are already citizens of other EU countries and many maintain dual citizenship." That is a mere opinion and is complete rubbish. So 3 million Turks hold both German and Turkish citizenship? Facts please. Absolutely not true.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

firecat69 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:45 pm Please name another country that continues to accept immigrants and they become citizens rather than residents . .
Firecat69,

Have you never heard of the countries of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand?

They do indeed accept many immigrants that can become citizens. And these countries probably have a higher percentage of citizens that were born outside the country than does the U.S.