The USA, Immigration, Colonialism - Continuing the Debate

fountainhall

Re: The USA, Immigration, Colonialism - Continuing the Debate

Post by fountainhall »

firecat69 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:53 pmThe only fact at issue is that you denied other countries accept immigrants as citizens - and these countries in fact do!
Excuse me! Did you or did you not write this -
firecat69 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:45 pmYes there are other countries where people become residents but they never become citizens .
So please do not accuse me of misquoting!
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

As usual you only reply to what you want to. I notice you had nothing to say that trying compare Australia and New Zealand in any way to a country (USA) that admits a wide range of immigrants ( many of them poor) who become citizens is beyond ridiculous . And Canada is equally ridiculous because they have been admitting immigrants for a very short time compared to the hundreds of years of the USA

There is no country that compares to the USA in accepting immigrants and turning them into citizens . That is just fact . Try reading the inscription on the Statue of Liberty . That is what the USA has been about for 150 years and there is no country that compares.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

firecat69 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:17 pm As usual you only reply to what you want to.
Not at all! You yourself made a statement that you claimed was factually correct. It was not. It was factually totally wrong. You then made the comment that in fact I had made that statement. I did not. In fact, I contradicted you. So your information was 100% inaccurate and since then you have been trying to wriggle out of what you actually said! End of that discussion!
firecat69 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:17 pmI notice you had nothing to say that trying compare Australia and New Zealand in any way to a country (USA) that admits a wide range of immigrants ( many of them poor) who become citizens is beyond ridiculous . And Canada is equally ridiculous because they have been admitting immigrants for a very short time compared to the hundreds of years of the USA
And that is a surprise to you? Once again I think you must read back on this thread. You will then note that I was not the one to raise the comparisons with Australia or New Zealand - or even Canada, for that matter. Another poster did. So your "notice" is yet again totally inaccurate.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Gents, the latest posts seem to me to be getting personal. Can we please just stick to the issue? I don't want to have to close the topic or start deleting posts.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

One question. Is it permissible for one poster to make a statement that leaves no room for doubt. That statement is then shown by several posters to be 100% wrong and one corrects the error. Yet the original poster then strongly alleges - again with no room for doubt - that the original statement was actually made by another poster? I am not sure of the Board rules on this issue, but it seems not unreasonable IMHO that the error should be pointed out so that a correct record is on the thread - of course provided personal attacks are not involved in the correction.

I have made the point in two posts above. I will not refer to it again.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:09 am One question. Is it permissible for one poster to make a statement that leaves no room for doubt.
As long as the response talks about the issue without getting personal, I have no problem. My post refers to the argument going on between you and firecat69. I don't see anyone else getting personal about it.

If both of you are willing to let the topic continue with the same type of posting, then I'm willing to make an exception and let the two of you battle it out as you wish.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Thanks for your comment. For my part I have made the last point twice. I will not refer to it again.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

My final comment also. It is ridiculous to compare people who elect to move say from Germany to Italy because the weather is better as they age or from England to France because the food is better and again the climate. That is what represents a good portion of new citizens in many European countries. Or the people who move to New Zealand that are taking their money and moving to New Zealand because they are from South Africa and they don't like the country because the White people are not in charge any longer .

Again in most cases that is not the situation of most of the immigrants that come to the USA. They are coming to make a better life for themselves .For the most part they leaving countries where their future is dismal and they are hoping to create a better life for themselves and their children.

Ronald Reagan certainly not my favorite President gave 6 million illegals status and the chance to become citizens . That will happen again under a future
Democratic President and 10 million more will be given status and the chance to become citizens .
The USA has created over 55 million citizens in the last 50 years.

USA certainly has its faults but no country can compare in welcoming people to its shores and become citizens. Trump will not be around much longer and the distasteful way he treats the whole world will disappear with his exit.