Will the MeToo Crimes of Weinstein. Spacey et al Destroy Their Past Work?

fountainhall

Will the MeToo Crimes of Weinstein. Spacey et al Destroy Their Past Work?

Post by fountainhall »

Interesting article on comments by one of today's greatest actors, Dame Judi Dench, in The Guardian. She was one of the first to denounce Weinstein saying she was "horrified" by his behaviour.

She has not changed her opinion of his actions. But she claims it is wrong that his body of work should be forgotten. She praises Stacey for his 10 years that not only helped rescue London's historical Old Vic Theatre but gave it a new lease on life. She thanks Spacey for supporting her after the 2001 death of her husband, actor Michael Williams. She credits Weinstein for his "wonderful films". in some of which she took part and whom she credits for much of her success.
“You cannot deny somebody a talent. You might as well never look at a Caravaggio painting [he was a murderer]. You might as well never have gone to see Noël Coward [accused of predatory behaviour].”
Dench also talks about losing her eyesight and being unable to read. She has a good friend read her lines to her and memorises them that way.
She dismissed the discomfort, putting it down to being part of her job: “On a film set you learn where everything is. It’s OK if you can get away with it. It’s all acting, after all. Fooling people. It’s what I do.”
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... -weinstein
Captain Kirk

Re: Will the MeToo Crimes of Weinstein. Spacey et al Destroy Their Past Work?

Post by Captain Kirk »

It's an interesting subject. Paul Gadd aka Gary Glitter will never be heard on radio from here until eternity yet Michael Jackson is still revered. I think it depends on what each guy has done, what his crimes are. I have a couple of Spacey films in my collection which I will no doubt watch again sometime. Doesn't mean I support his actions.
Weinstein will simply be forgotten quite quickly. Most folk watching movies don't really give a toss who the producer was. It's not as if they will see his face on screen or anything. If put on the spot, the average person on the street wouldn't be able to name more than two movies he produced. He'll just be seen as some old creep who abused women.