Trashing Trump

werner99

Re: Trashing Trump

Post by werner99 »

firecat69 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:29 pm but in the end we have been the most welcoming country to immigrants and have never used our military power to colonize or dominate .
I agree with your criticism of Trump, but your other comments are total nonsense.

--The United States practiced genocide against the Native Americans and stole their land.
--At least 25 percent of the American territory was stolen from Mexico through wars during the 19th Century.
--The United States took over Hawaii, which once was an independent country.
--The United States invaded and colonized the Philippines for about fifty years.
--The United States has used its military power to invade and to try to control dozens of countries, including Vietnam, Iraq, Panama, etc.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Mostly you make my point with these ridiculous examples except for the first one which is a stain on the US and started when we were under British Rule .
Of course that was the main occupation for many years of World British Dominance and they colonized all over the world
We had a war with Mexico and the treaty that was signed essentially gave what is now Texas to the US . In case you missed it in your history books it was Spain who stole Mexico not the USA. There was a period when European countries were colonizing and dominating any countries they came upon .
That is what England did to the USA . I guess you missed that.
Last time I checked the Philippines is free and Hawaii is part of the USA, not controlled by the USA .

I would be the first to admit the USA has made mistakes in using its military power , but present day Europe exists in large part because we defeated Hitler along with our allies. Gee we could have just stayed out of the mess on the European Continent , instead although probably a little late . Just think what the world would be like if Hitler controlled Europe for another 75 years or maybe even worse if the Soviet Union controlled all of Western Europe which of course was its goal.

After all of that the USA used its might to unite Germany and did we gain anything in territory , of course not.
And after we defeated Japan did we colonize them . Oh no we helped them into the dynamic industrial country they are now.

Far be it from me to justify the Vietnam War. That was a disgrace in so many ways that I would not even try to justify it.

Please let me know what country has done more for freedom around the world than the USA. Does it make mistakes? Of course it does .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:06 pm Mostly you make my point
It's an interesting debate, but it is also off topic. How about continuing the debate on a separate topic and getting this one back to "Trashing Trump," which is far more relevant and definitely more enjoyable . . .