Frequent Flyer Programmes: Qantas to Charge More

fountainhall

Frequent Flyer Programmes: Qantas to Charge More

Post by fountainhall »

Over the last decade, most airlines have revamped their frequent flyer programmes – mostly by reducing the benefits. Now you have to fly more to earn less points. When it comes to redemptions, you need more points than was the case before the change.

Qantas was one of the few to resist changes. Not any more. A big new change has been introduced from September that offers a carrot for economy passengers and a stick for those up front.

One issue with Qantas has been its “carrier charges” which it adds on to redemption tickets. This used to be the case with BA, but since I have not used BA long haul for years I do not know if that carrier still has that system. Qantas will reduce these charges across the board.

As an example, on its Melbourne to Los Angeles route (and presumably also a ticket ex-LAX), an economy redemption ticket previously would have required 90,000 points and $513. Now it will cost 83,800 points and $393.

Want Premium Economy? That used to set you back 144,000 points and $793. From September it will cost 162,600 points and $603.

Business Class passengers used to pay 192,000 points and $943. The new requirement is 216,800 points and $703.

Another carrot is that more economy seats on more routes will be offered for redemption.

Although I flew the BKK/Sydney route at least once a year for a decade until 2006, I was never able to get a Qantas ticket (neither biz nor economy), no matter how early I tried book. Like some other airlines (e.g. JAL), Qantas puts its redemption tickets on sale about a year ahead but only to its own loyalty club members. About six months in advance it opens up any remaining seats to other airlines in the One World Alliance. Since BKK/SYD is a popular route, all redemption tickets had been snapped up well beforehand.

Since Singapore Airlines, Malaysian and Cathay Pacific first got together to form their Passages mileage programme in 1993 before each split to join the much larger worldwide alliances in 1999, I have been extremely fortunate to have earned millions of miles. I spent my first one on a trip to the Maldives in 1995. My last was in March this year to Tokyo. Now I have given up mileage schemes. I’ll take the cheapest ticket every time as long it is on an airline I enjoy flying.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ts-cheaper
firecat69

Re: Frequent Flyer Programmes: Qantas to Charge More

Post by firecat69 »

US Airlines have for the most part done the same things except UA and Star Alliance Partners. I just looked for fun and economy was 40,000 miles Melbourne-LAX Business was 90,000. DL it use to be able to get BKK flights with Korean Air but now Business Class tickets are 190,000 miles each way and no availability.

Star Alliance Partners have raised the mileage requirements but it is still far from some of these other thieving programs . LAX- BKK is now 90,000 miles each way and lots of airlines to choose from.